I want to have a space war. But how can I do that?

minerbat

I came up with the idea of having a stock (and DLC) space war and roleplay thing with people. but i have no clue how I should execute it... So I want to ask people of the KSP community if they have ideas and if they want to join. Should I use multiplayer mod? But that has issues when people aren't online and I dont have a server. Or we could agree on a set time and in-game location for a battle? But that would be hard with a large group of people and wouldn't fit roleplay really wel. or safefile passing? but then people cant defend themselfes... Anyone have suggestions?

However you end up doing it, please remember that role playing caused so much strife on the forum that we had to rule it entirely off-limits. You may discuss rules and recruit players here, but the actual conduct of the thing would need to take place elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

However you end up doing it, please remember that role playing caused so much strife on the forum that we had to rule it entirely off-limits. You may discuss rules and recruit players here, but the actual conduct of the thing would need to take place elsewhere. 

i know that so dont worry

Perhaps you could do a Career-style war, where you have to fight to be the first to Duna. Everyone starts on Kerbin, at a different launch pad. Everyone is the same distance from each other. And you take turns launching something. But only one thing. It can be a plane, rocket, or missile. And your turn to launch something ends when you stage your craft for the first time.

I'm not sure exactly how the community works, but if my understanding is correct, the folks over at /r/KerbalPowers (https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalPowers/) have an RP world thing going on, and may be able to point you in the direction of some like minded people.  I believe it was created after RP stuff was banned from the KSP forums. I assume they have some sort of discord or other forum that they use to coordinate everything. I also can't speak to whether or not they feature space wars per se, but it could be a good place to start.

Edited by DVQuill

I've seen collaborative saves before on here where "player A" does one part, then uploads the save file to dropbox or something & "player B" downloads it and does the next part, etc.  That may work as a way to run it.  Like somebody mentions, each person gets one launch per round or something.  Or "x" minutes of gameplay per round

@Vanamonde Out of curiosity, could the OP after the fact post a mission report of the war and how it played out without violating the forum rules?

what about this idea: instead of a ful war, people make battleships and we organise battles on some lunamultiplayer server and do for example 1v1 or 2v2 space battles? no full war or roleplay really, but I mostly just want to build and use space battleships

Edited by minerbat

3 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Don't forget BD Armory.

i like stock though

i find it more interesting. but then again, i never messed with any weapon mod before

Edited by minerbat

42 minutes ago, minerbat said:

what about this idea: instead of a ful war, people make battleships and we organise battles on some lunamultiplayer server and do for example 1v1 or 2v2 space battles? no full war or roleplay really, but I mostly just want to build and use space battleships

Something like Children of a Dead Earth, maybe?

Hi @minerbat.

I know you like the idea. But real world KSP engines/rockets and moving solar system are going to make this very hard to realise. But don't despair, there is a possibility in a single player game that maybe can be expanded to multiplayer by those of you who know how to set this up.

You are going to need at minimum the mod Next Star Industries version 2.4.2  Specifically their TDS22 and the module they created to make it work. It is a replica of the ship from the movie Flight of the Navigator, It can fly just like it, straight out of atmosphere and out of solar system at eventually millions of m/s. No running out of fuel, no rcs needed. Just don't go too far from Kerbin because even though unlimited and powerful thrust sounds fun. Trying to plot an intercept course, not to mention slow from a million m/s with that sort of propulsion is Super Genius territory. They also have a Death Star and the ability to make Tie Fighters.

Any battle would best be in the space between Kerbin and the Mun if you want your victors to return or not just get plain Lost In Space.

Hope this helps you realise your vision.

3 hours ago, minerbat said:

i dont know what that is, sorry. a game? a movie?

It's a game that has decidedly realistic space combat, so might be what you're looking for.

edit: Though if you just want fights between space battleships, and physics is unimportant, consider Gratuitous Space Battles.

Edited by UmbralRaptor

but i space battles with realalistic physics is kind of the point plus making space battleships in KSP is something you can do, but i actually want to try those out. that is why i want to do this

12 hours ago, minerbat said:

but i space battles with realalistic physics is kind of the point

In the space above Kerbin, 2 warring factions are about to meet. One is in a prograde orbit, the other in a retrograde orbit. It's often called Space Jousting by observers....

"Open Fire!"

"Aye Sir, firing!....oh no, we missed Captain!"

"Ok, let's do another 5 day orbit and try again".

5 days later.....

"Captain, we're coming up on the ship again!"

"Ok....erm why were we trying to shoot them again?"

"Can't remember to be honest Captain. Anyway, we've got new orders through from HQ, they want us to investigate a potential rebel base on Eeloo!"

"Ok, helm set a course for Eeloo,  send our ETA to HQ"

"Aye Sir, course engaged, sending.... 3 years and 350 days... "

"Nearly 4 years you say....? Helm, forget that, let's just hang around the dark side of the Mun for a bit till this is all over, they'll never know."

"Aye Sir".

and so? why can long battles not be fun when timewarp is a thing? it would make things interesting because when there is a battle at a place far away, you cant easily send new ships there fast, so you have to do with what is already there and plan way ahead by making sure you have ships in strategic locations long before a battle. and trying to be at least somewhat fast is a cool engineering and orbit challenge (a ship that flies on a jool transfer orbet, but encounters duna instead will be there faster than a ship that is on a classic transfer to duna). and kerbals dont care, because in my imagination they go in a type of hibernation and get their energy from photosynthesis on long missions and get awake once they arrive.

I wasn’t knocking your idea, was just being facetious as that’s what popped in my head when I read your statement.

However, what you’re suggesting would be very unique. Look at any space battle on film, they all ignore the laws of physics and make it like jets dogfighting on Earth as that’s fun and exciting to watch. I see your idea as more like a chess game in space (again not a criticism) which could be interesting in it’s own way.

2 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

chess game in space 

I can imagine that a story's main character is someone who knows nothin' about space and a warship's captain says to them:

"Space battles aren't like in movies, pal. It is more like 

2 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

chess game in space

".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.