Automatic Missions & Option Missions Together!?

SEARCHED FORUMS DISCLAIMER:

I tried searching the forums to see if this was covered already, too many items come up, and none of the ones I could see answered this for me. I'm sure if I knew the exact search term, if it already exists, I could find it. So forgive me if this has been answered, but I really want to know.

=-=-=-=

TOPIC QUESTION:

I love that KSP got missions, but I've always disliked having to go to the mission control and picking up Milestone missions (and I'm not the only one). [I'm still not sure why it's still that way.]

I can't count how many times I've accidentally gone over a milestone I knew was there, but forgot to take it, and then I feel my whole run/game is ruined. (Like just this weekend, playing in a Hardcore mode, my brain was on auto-pilot, and I went into orbit, instead of just escaping the atmosphere, and I missed the milestone.)

New players might collect data without ever getting the mission.

Experienced players might not know some milestone missions exist and jump right over them.

I see this as a bit of a problem  in a few ways. New players should be rewarded with the milestones in career mode. And experienced players like me, like to keep track and just see them all, like a list of accomplishments. It's nice to be able to look back at a save and see the various missions I've done, and see that progress.

And to find out after playing the game for months or years that I missed some that I could have taken... it's hard to explain why that's stressful, maybe I'm just a completionism or perfectionist, but it actually kinda is stressful. A little bit of that FOMO, except the missing-out already happened. It's like paying buying a game on Steam to only find out later it was free on Humble Bundle or Epic, or something.

I really wish the Dev's would change it so that Milestone Missions were automatic and didn't take up slots in the Mission Control, for KSP1. Will KSP2 be different or work like KSP1 where I have to OCD check the Mission Control all the time so I don't miss any?

57 minutes ago, Sasuga said:

Will KSP2 be different or work like KSP1 where I have to OCD check the Mission Control all the time so I don't miss any?

It's fair to say right now nothing in the game progression will be the same as KSP1. Without any info for the announced adventure mode, we can't say for sure what it would entail.

Are you talking about the World First awards? You get those when you perform the action whether you agree to them beforehand or not. For example, if your first launch reaches 7500m and 300m/s, you get those awards as well as the 3500m and 150m/s awards which you surpassed on the way, whether or not you agreed to them as contracts. Check your messages and you should see the notifications. 

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

Are you talking about the World First awards? You get those when you perform the action whether you agree to them beforehand or not. For example, if your first launch reaches 7500m and 300m/s, you get those awards as well as the 3500m and 150m/s awards which you surpassed on the way, whether or not you agreed to them as contracts. Check your messages and you should see the notifications. 

Then why do they not show up as being archived unless I accept them first?

5 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

^This is whats actually going on, though @Sasuga you've accurately pointed out one of the key structural problems with KSP1. You don't actually have to take any contracts to fund your program, you can just go out and complete World Firsts and those rewards will flow in regardless. This is usually how I play career, tacking on the procedural contracts only when they happen to align with something I already plan to do. You're exactly right to point out though that because they don't appear in Mission Control there is no way for the player to know that, or to get advances, or to know what the rewards will be ahead of time so they can budget missions appropriately. Its all the more confusing because there are milestone contracts that begin and then break as soon as you do something out of order leaving you feeling stranded with a heap of directionless generative contracts. 

From all the rumblings we've heard it sounds as though this entire system is being reworked for KSP2 into something they've called "Adventure Mode", which has been described as being more like science mode than career mode. We don't know much else about it. We don't even know yet if money will be a factor let alone contracts, the pros and cons of which have been widely discussed on the forum. Its also worth pointing out that KSP1's science system isn't widely loved, so we're all hoping for some rework there too. 

Surely there will be rewards for going to new places and doing specified tasks, and there will likely be some related mechanism to unlock parts that flows from that. Im of two minds on money being critical to that. On the one hand there are some interesting possible gameplay tradeoffs created by parts costing money, but later as you've started colonizing and you're producing parts exclusively from mined resources is money still important? And if money ceases to be important halfway through the progression is it worth introducing to begin with? There are also other ways besides individual part costs to encourage players to build more efficiently--things like tighter size and weight restrictions early on that must be unlocked through exploration. We'll probably have to wait and see what Intercept has in mind for all this. Though I certainly agree with you that the UI related to these main exploration missions needs to be much, much clearer to the player so they know what the goals are. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

I'm assuming you mean the first few missions a person can get from mission control where you need to launch your first ship, escape the atmosphere or conduct your first science experiment, rather than the world first achievements/milestones that are added automatically. The way I see it, these missions are akin to the very first missions flown on Earth, where technology and limitations were being tested for the very first time. Given that we know Kerbal technology always works, I see these missions as a way to RP those first (major) leaps towards reliable space flight. I like them personally. They give a small sense of progression, cost virtually nothing to complete in a career mode, and can help write the story of your space program.

Ultimately, to me, these missions are Gene's way of asking me to get a space program started.