I am working on a mod for the Neutron Rocket made by Rocket Lab. It is still WIP I am currently working on the second stage and fairings.For some reason the colliders got completely shifted and the same with the node and the fairings don't decouple. I am open to any and all ideas. I am gonna take A LOT of creative liberty since we barely know anything about this rocket. Also I need someone to help me out with the nodes and modules for the fairings.Here a few development pics:

K6xxetI.png

fcUAiCi.png

The part will be temporarily placed in the thermal section just to make them easy to find in development

CQxRLoW.png

tyloNpV.png

These are the  upper stage pics:

hJGpC4W.png

Wec9yPP.png

ZSlaxn1.png

HPQ1mYX.png

DZEfjsJ.png

Edited by Suyash - Jevaria
Changing Post

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, wasml said:

What kind of problems are you having? I have managed to get both of those working at one point but have only made a few.

The fairings decouple then go into a crazy spin,  I can only add one node in blender and if I add more the nodes disappear, and I can't get the nodes from the booster and other stuff to decouple.

I don't recognize those symptoms. Can you post a screen shot of the Blender outliner (the window in the upper right showing the nodes and meshes) and the cfg file for the two parts? I'll see if I can spot anything.

17 hours ago, Suyash - Jevaria said:

Could I just send you the blend file?

That would work - if you'll put it somewhere (config files and Blender files) and send me a link.

From looking at your config files I see one of your problems - When you declare your nodes you have a name and a transform. The transform is the name of the node in Blender (you should have a Empty in the Blender file with that name [and in Unity - careful - sometimes Unity renames them - usually something like a.mesh in Blender becomes a_Mesh in Unity]). The ModuleDecouple explosiveID wants the Node name not the transform name so you want something like this:

NODE
{
	name = top			// Config name for node - used below in ModuleDecouple
	transform = node_stack_top	// Blender/Unity name
	size = 1
	method = FIXED_JOINT
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleDecouple
	explosiveNodeID = top		// Config node name - see NODE StackTop above
	ejectionForce = 100
	// In this part I've used the "top" node for both the top attach node and the explosive node.
	// I could have left this line out as explosiveNodeID defaults to "top".

// isOmniDecoupler = true	// Including this line changes a decoupler into a separator
}

18 hours ago, wasml said:

That would work - if you'll put it somewhere (config files and Blender files) and send me a link.

From looking at your config files I see one of your problems - When you declare your nodes you have a name and a transform. The transform is the name of the node in Blender (you should have a Empty in the Blender file with that name [and in Unity - careful - sometimes Unity renames them - usually something like a.mesh in Blender becomes a_Mesh in Unity]). The ModuleDecouple explosiveID wants the Node name not the transform name so you want something like this:

NODE
{
	name = top			// Config name for node - used below in ModuleDecouple
	transform = node_stack_top	// Blender/Unity name
	size = 1
	method = FIXED_JOINT
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleDecouple
	explosiveNodeID = top		// Config node name - see NODE StackTop above
	ejectionForce = 100
	// In this part I've used the "top" node for both the top attach node and the explosive node.
	// I could have left this line out as explosiveNodeID defaults to "top".

// isOmniDecoupler = true	// Including this line changes a decoupler into a separator
}

Here is the .blend file

Also how do you do fairing like where do you put the thrust transform and I can't understand how to use the ksp nodes thing since the coordinates are different than blender

https://github.com/Suyash-Jevaria/.blend-for-help-

I get a "Link not found" - is that repository public?

2 hours ago, Suyash - Jevaria said:

Also how do you do fairing like where do you put the thrust transform

Fairings don't have a thrust transform - I'm thinking you may have the wrong fields? If your config files are in Git with the Blend files I can get a better idea of what is going on when I get a chance to look  at them.

If you haven't seen this - it's a good place to see what fields are valid for a module: KSP API

2 hours ago, Suyash - Jevaria said:

how to use the ksp nodes thing since the coordinates are different than blender

If your using the NODE {} syntax in your config file you should have an "Empty" where you want the node to be - with the Z (blue) axis pointing out towards where the connecting piece will be. Position should be exactly where the empty is. The other way is to use the "node_stack_NodeName = 1,1,1,0,1,0,1" syntax - you don't need the empty in Blender.

When I get a look at your blend and config files I can probably get a better idea of what's going on.

I remember starting out it was very frustrating as there are many little things that can trip you up - any one of which will leave you with a part that doesn't work. It does get better as you learn what to look for and how things (usually) work - don't give up! it's a real thrill when you git everything working and can actually use the parts you've made.

20 hours ago, wasml said:

I get a "Link not found" - is that repository public?

Fairings don't have a thrust transform - I'm thinking you may have the wrong fields? If your config files are in Git with the Blend files I can get a better idea of what is going on when I get a chance to look  at them.

If you haven't seen this - it's a good place to see what fields are valid for a module: KSP API

If your using the NODE {} syntax in your config file you should have an "Empty" where you want the node to be - with the Z (blue) axis pointing out towards where the connecting piece will be. Position should be exactly where the empty is. The other way is to use the "node_stack_NodeName = 1,1,1,0,1,0,1" syntax - you don't need the empty in Blender.

When I get a look at your blend and config files I can probably get a better idea of what's going on.

I remember starting out it was very frustrating as there are many little things that can trip you up - any one of which will leave you with a part that doesn't work. It does get better as you learn what to look for and how things (usually) work - don't give up! it's a real thrill when you git everything working and can actually use the parts you've made.

I made it public also

Looking at NeutronRocketFS

Model's are typically 24 sided with a 12 sided collider – not necessary if you don't want to attach to the standard size parts (or maybe this is for Realism Overhaul).

Colliders must be convex – you need do something like the colliders on your fairing if you want intrusions like on the ends of this tank. Colliders generally have fewer sides that the mesh – much easier on performance. Note: on some parts you can get away with using the primitive colliders (Box, Sphere and capsule) – these are less of a performance hog that the mesh colliders though fuel tanks are almost always mesh colliders.

Attach nodes look good but the top node (node_stack_top.003) has that extra .003 that I don't see in the cfg file – unless you renamed that in Unity the part may not load. (you have screenshots from in-game so I gather you did)

The config file has a ModuleCommand, ModuleSAS, ModuleKerbNetAccess, ModuleDataTransmitter and some electricCharge. This is typical of a command module – a fuel tank usually only has a fuel resource. KSP LF/O is typically 45/55 ratio so you would want (assuming this is an LF/O tank) something like:

RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
amount = 720
maxAmount = 720
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxidizer
amount = 880
maxAmount = 880
}

note the amounts are random – from the first fuel tank config I came across – you may want to look at the stock tanks and set these numbers to those of a similar sized tank.

A note: bulkheadProfiles = size3 but node_stack_top is size = 1. these are typically the same – a top node of size 1 would have a bulkheadProfiles = size1. Won't stop anything from working but it will show up in the wrong place if you filter parts on bulkhead size.

I have some templates I use when starting a part - includes notes, Blender, Gimp and Unity files for the parts I been able to get working (or almost working). License is MIT – you can use the config files as a starting point or just see what modules are involved.

21 hours ago, Suyash - Jevaria said:

is there a place with some good tutorials and good documentation

Unfortunately its scattered all over the place - sometimes in the middle of a long thread.

Edited by wasml

4 hours ago, wasml said:

Looking at NeutronRocketFS

Model's are typically 24 sided with a 12 sided collider – not necessary if you don't want to attach to the standard size parts (or maybe this is for Realism Overhaul).

Colliders must be convex – you need do something like the colliders on your fairing if you want intrusions like on the ends of this tank. Colliders generally have fewer sides that the mesh – much easier on performance. Note: on some parts you can get away with using the primitive colliders (Box, Sphere and capsule) – these are less of a performance hog that the mesh colliders though fuel tanks are almost always mesh colliders.

Attach nodes look good but the top node (node_stack_top.003) has that extra .003 that I don't see in the cfg file – unless you renamed that in Unity the part may not load. (you have screenshots from in-game so I gather you did)

The config file has a ModuleCommand, ModuleSAS, ModuleKerbNetAccess, ModuleDataTransmitter and some electricCharge. This is typical of a command module – a fuel tank usually only has a fuel resource. KSP LF/O is typically 45/55 ratio so you would want (assuming this is an LF/O tank) something like:

RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
amount = 720
maxAmount = 720
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxidizer
amount = 880
maxAmount = 880
}

note the amounts are random – from the first fuel tank config I came across – you may want to look at the stock tanks and set these numbers to those of a similar sized tank.

A note: bulkheadProfiles = size3 but node_stack_top is size = 1. these are typically the same – a top node of size 1 would have a bulkheadProfiles = size1. Won't stop anything from working but it will show up in the wrong place if you filter parts on bulkhead size.

I have some templates I use when starting a part - includes notes, Blender, Gimp and Unity files for the parts I been able to get working (or almost working). License is MIT – you can use the config files as a starting point or just see what modules are involved.

Unfortunately its scattered all over the place - sometimes in the middle of a long thread.

I dont unity since there was someone who made a direct export to KSP. Look up "KSP blender .mu" on the forums

It just clicked what you're doing with the intrusions on the ends of your main stage. For the top intrusion - engines can have an engine fairing that will detach when bottom engine node is detached - that will remove the need for the intrusion and the need for the extra colliders needed for a hollow part. The engine fairing involves adding an extra mesh to the engine and a ModuleJettison to the engine config file.

An aside - the .mu addon to Blender can also import .mu files – I would recommend importing a stock part and looking at the way it's put together (fuel tank, engine, decoupler, probe core, fairing – what ever you're building) – you can get an idea how the meshes and transforms are connected to the MODULE's in the config file. The MODULE sections are what do all the magic and give parts their characteristics – the ModuleDecouple allows decoupling, ModuleCommand allows you to control a vessel, ModuleEngines allows engines to create thrust and so on. Understanding these and what they need to connect to in the model you make will really help.

The intrusion for the bottom of your first stage can be handled in a couple of ways. One way is as you're doing it with the hollow and extra colliders – this keeps the engines separate and allows the engines to be used individually in other places but leaves the back end open. A second way would be to make the cluster as one engine with five nozzles – this would remove the need for the hollow and allow you have the full enclosure around the nozzles – like some of the pictures with just part of the bell sticking out - but is a bit more complicated to setup the smoke and flames as you now have five on one engine and doesn't allow you to use the engines individually.

For decoupling KSP typically uses a separate part though I think HerbuSan made a mod that integrated the decoupler into the fuel tank so I think the way you're doing this will work. It looks like your problem is the config file has the “explosiveNodeID = top” but the top node name is actually “node_stack_top”. You will also need to add a ModuleDecouple to your first stage so you can decouple the second stage.

I hope I'm not overwhelming you information here or discouraging you – making the first of any part can be difficult but once you figure it out making the second one is much easier.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/12/2022 at 5:00 PM, Suyash - Jevaria said:

If people did want it I would be open to continue it

The work at the begining of your post looked beautiful. Are you up to date with the latest .mu plugin? Are there any issues you are still having?

I have updated some info in my thread recently that might help. If you have questions I may (no promises) be able to help through my own experiences.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.