Words fun to say

Stormpilot

Pick some random German words and sound like you’re really angry about something.

Krankenvagen smetterling hauptbahnhof kartoffelkopf!

(Translation: ambulance butterfly train station potato head :huh:)

Then there’s einfahrt verboten, which actually means “no entry’ but sounds a lot funnier.

And in English- moist, flange, plinth, squelch, reciprocate, filibuster.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of German words are fun to say! I hope to learn German soon (I mean within a year or two, maybe three)

More fun words:

Hong Kong

Sumitomo

Mitsubishi

Kawasaki

Kerbal

Lastkraftwagen (German word for truck, often abbreviated to LKW)

For the past year, my daughter and I have taken a challenge to find and become accustomed to using an archaic word from the English language. We normally try to use each word for a fortnight because we want them to become a part of our normal vocabulary. It's kind of fun to watch my child tell an obnoxious peer, "you're just being a dandiprat!" Normally, the response is, "no, I'm not a dandelion!" And of course, my daughter laughs at them.

Anyhow, here are the ones we've added to our list over the last four months. I've included the definitions, too. Methinks you'll agree these are fun words to say.

• Kerfuffle: a commotion or fuss, especially one caused by conflicting views.
  • Betwixt: between.
  • Rantipole: a wild reckless sometimes quarrelsome person.
  • Blathering: the action of talking long-windedly without making very much sense.
  • Obliviate: to forget, to wipe from existence.
  • Opine: hold and state as one's opinion.
  • Circumjacent: lying around; surrounding.
  • Fandangle: a useless or purely ornamental thing.

16 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

Isn't that from Harry Potter?

That word existed long before the Harry Potter franchise of books and movies. It is actually from classical Latin OBLIVIUM and means "to forget." It was transliterated into English around the 1600s (the 17th Century).

And no, not shouting. In the Latin alphabet, there are no lower case letters. :)

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

That word existed long before the Harry Potter franchise of books and movies. It is actually from classical Latin OBLIVIUM and means "to forget." It was transliterated into English around the 1600s (the 17th Century).

And no, not shouting. In the Latin alphabet, there are no lower case letters. :)

Not sure if anyone knows but does anyone know that the planet pack with the planet Malum is actually Latin for evil? 

10 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Fandangle: a useless or purely ornamental thing.

This should of been my username. 

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Use the change your user name thread. It's not too late if that's truly what you want to do. :D

I heard about it. I also heard about that you can only do this once. And I have grown attached to this username. So I will stick to it. Treat a username well, and it will treat you back! 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...