Should the oceans be revamped?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the oceans be revamped?

• Yes!
    • No!

Hello. I'm @Dr. Kerbal. The weird with the weird profile pic. I went a bit overboard. A little bit. But I have a suggestion to improve the game. The oceans in Kerbal Space Program are kind of still. Without mods the oceans look dead. The liquids in them just sits still. Kind of creepy if you ask me.  So I suggest that in an upcoming update the oceans should be revamps and improved. Even though this is Kerbal Space program and the focus is mainly on space, I think the oceans are important too. Visiting Laythe or Eve would be really boring. It makes no sense for Laythe oceans to be still. I mean it orbits a giant green gas giant (otherwise known as Jool). Shouldn't some waves come up? Or on Kerbin, the Mun's should cause some waves right? And the texture in the ocean make the ocean kind of boring. So I suggest that @SQUAD and the KSP Team should put an ocean revamp. 

On 6/13/2020 at 4:16 PM, tkw said:

38WZWs7.gif

What about old water texture details from KSP 0.13.3.

Because it makes it feel more alive than the modern version.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:59 PM, dok_377 said:

Comparing Simple Rockets 2 and KSP is not a smart thing to do, I know, but just look at the water texture there as well. It almost looks like Scatterer but takes a lot less performance to run. It's basically free in terms of performance. Squad has some pretty good shaders (as evidenced by all the recent planet revamps), so doing something like this should be a no-brainer. 
L5M7RVs.jpg

Edited by Dr. Kerbal

I think Oceanic space exploration is an area of space exploration that isn't as well known. And it would be cool if KSP where the spearhead into making submarine probes. I think waves aren't that big of a deal, would be nice.

Underwater space exploration would be a fascinating thing to explore in the future

I would love to see water revamps in stock.  I actually could live without scatterer except for the water, which is dull & lifeless without it.  Stock sub parts would be wonderful, but I'd be very surprised if they happened. 

I've made a few submarine probes via mods for use on Laythe (and would probably work on Eve with improved heat shielding)

1IasWf6h.png?1

Would be really nice if there was an actual reason for it beyond "it seemed like something fun to do"

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

https://spacedock.info/mod/2749/Working Underwater Lite

It is a mod but it makes it's parts out of the stock meshes and textures, so no extra strain on your load up. It is just text config files.

I play on mac but spacedock keeps telling me to download other extensions and apps before getting the mod. This is probably malware so HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THE FRICKIN MOD WITHOUT MALWARE!

Also I'm totally in for this. The oceans are ignored. Underwater exploration without fuel exploit will be fun and the oceans are so much like Dres that I saw a tree underwater. What the flip was that about. Time to revamp in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Singhnaut said:

I play on mac but spacedock keeps telling me to download other extensions and apps before getting the mod. This is probably malware so HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THE FRICKIN MOD WITHOUT MALWARE!

I have used that link there is no malware. 

2 hours ago, Singhnaut said:

Also I'm totally in for this. The oceans are ignored. Underwater exploration without fuel exploit will be fun and the oceans are so much like Dres that I saw a tree underwater. What the flip was that about. Time to revamp in my opinion.

I don't see why you would need anything else. It was built on a PC, unless Macs use a different config file system than PC I don't see why it wouldn't work. It is litterally just config files, which are just text files with a cfg suffix. If it will let you, just download it straight from the site without an app and have a look at the config files with a text editor. If the engines look to have the same basic structure as the Squad ones then you should be right to go. I will be putting out an update in roughly 24 hours, as I found 3 mistakes in configurations and I am adding a few new parts.

13 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I wholeheartedly recommend they make a new game called Kerbal Undersea Program.

But in Kerbal Space Program I prefer they concentrate on what most of the players will engage with. Space.

Why don't we remove any form of procedural terrain while we're at it? Point being that exploring a planet once you've dropped from space is just as important as space itself. Being able to explore oceans would open up a ton of possibilities and make developing water vehicles much more meaningful.

48 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

Not much would be needed, really. A tweak to the prop blades so they work properly underwater, and ballast tanks that you can fill up and empty to control buoyancy.* Everything else we need is already there, pretty much.

*The latter would most likely have to be physically unrealistic, magically transmogrifying water into something exceedingly dense when filled, to counter the unrealistically buoyant parts we're working with. I could live with that. We can always assume they're exploiting the same strange property that makes Kerbin with its 1200 km diameter as massive as the Earth.

Again.

All the adjustable ballast you need. and marine engines and more. I have made ducted blades push water but it is really unsatisfactory, so not included. But there are plenty of engines that look like prop but push like jets you can convert. Also you should check out Angel-125's Wild Blue industries Buffalo mod for impellers.

6 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Even better if the update it came with had some sights to see and things to do while down there.

For now atleast, it is up to the mod community to add things. I know that some very creative people on here are currently working on things to add. Both in craft and landscape. Kerbal Konstructs combined with the right meshes can be used to create all sorts of underwater things to find and interact with.

Just now, Admiral Fluffy said:

For what will hopefully be 1.13*, I would like to have actual working speed boats. The fastest boats I have go 30 mps.

Hide contents

Probably not, but hopefully 

The fastest speed boat I have before my mod goes up to 280m/s. Available here. Just don't have BD Armory's armor patch in your game.

https://kerbalx.com/ColdJ/Sppeed-Boat-Super-KX

If you go download my latest update and use the marine engines combined with the new Nacelles you should do much better. just use the weight or ballast tanks to lower your COM so that you can turn sharp without rolling. I have a support cruiser in the beta stage that does over 40m/s. much bigger than a speed boat.

15 hours ago, ColdJ said:

The fastest speed boat I have before my mod goes up to 280m/s. Available here. Just don't have BD Armory's armor patch in your game.

https://kerbalx.com/ColdJ/Sppeed-Boat-Super-KX

If you go download my latest update and use the marine engines combined with the new Nacelles you should do much better. just use the weight or ballast tanks to lower your COM so that you can turn sharp without rolling. I have a support cruiser in the beta stage that does over 40m/s. much bigger than a speed boat.

isn't that a ground effect plane/ekranoplane that can maybe also swim like a boat too?!

10 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

isn't that a ground effect plane/ekranoplane that can maybe also swim like a boat too?!

No. It is a speedboat that can hydrofoil that unfortunately flies when it goes over 260ish if you can't manipulate the canards to hold you down for longer. It was never meant to fly. Flying is just a side effect of the KSP physics.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.