ID satellite in repair contract

You could dig into the save file. There you can find the contract and it will mention the ID number KSP uses to refer to it. And then also all you vessels will have ID numbers assigned. But to make things not so obvious, there are different IDs and contracts of different types sometimes use the one or the other. Here is a thread where I reported a little but about that (and the obvious advertisement, that I did make a save file editor called KML to help with that):

My guess would be, that the contract just refers to a non-existing sattelite and in the thread I described how just to build a new one and assign it to the contract :D

Thanks for the information, Mythos.  Your KML identified the mismatch of ID's and, after editing, the vehicle was highlighted on the map.  Unfortunately, once on site, the battery bank would not attach to the satellite even though there were nodes present.  I'm not sure if it was the engineer's experience level or something else.   I'm still trying to figure out how the construction in space process works ... with little success.  Guess this contract will just have to expire.  Thanks again.

JR

8 hours ago, Grizbud said:

Unfortunately, once on site, the battery bank would not attach to the satellite even though there were nodes present.  I'm not sure if it was the engineer's experience level or something else.   I'm still trying to figure out how the construction in space process works ... with little success.  Guess this contract will just have to expire.

This seems to be a case of figuring out how the construction works, then. I think attaching batteries should be possible. If there were no nodes, you could also surface-attach them. Usually contracts offer plenty of time (well, there is/was also another bug about impossible deadlines), maybe you should try again :wink:

Edited by Mythos

Thanks for the help and encouragement, Mythos.  On my last try with a level 3 engineer, the Z-200 battery pack actually attached to a node on the satellite.  Only problem ... the contract did not register as complete.  Is there a way to examine a contract to see the ID number of the part to be attached?  I haven't explored KML thoroughly, but I thought I saw some ID numbers in the display of various parts.  Is that correct?

JR 

2 hours ago, Grizbud said:

see the ID number of the part to be attached

Usually you can attach any specific part of that type, so the ID of the part to be attached does not matter. 

Can you provide some more information, the full contract text? Maybe this a "repair part" contract? In that case it might want you to use a repair kit to fix a specific part (and then it makes sense to have a part ID in the contract) and not to attach a new one.

There are other "repair vessel" contracts (I remember rovers, not sure about satellites), where you are meant to attach new parts. They do not really check about the construction. It usually wants you to prove the vessels functionality by moving to somewhere. If it can do, you probably have repaired it, and get the reward.

Thanks for taking a look.  I couldn't get the forum to accept an image, so here's the quote from the contract:

"A while ago, WinterOwl Aircraft Emporium deployed a very expensive satellite.  Our engineers have determined we can extend its utility if we just add one extra component.  Attach the required part so that we don't have to replace the one we have.

Send a Kerbal engineer on a craft, and attach a Z-200 Rechargeable Battery Bank to the target satellite."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.