Show and Tell - The Kerbal Space Center

StarSlay3r

Ironically if you have fast storage, say nvme, or optane. This is a realistic if not ideal option. When I play cities it's using about 28gb of real ram and about 40 gb of page file for a decent size game. That only leaves 4gb for everything else and the page file. You notice it, but it's not unbearable. Your not going to get away with streaming assets that way, yet. But for a lot of use cases it isn't necessary or there are shortcuts. With what the new consoles are doing with storage, next gen standards. The difference between your page file and ram is going to be closer to the difference between say, DD2 and DDR4 ( Talking out of my a** but you get the idea.)  

5 hours ago, Niterliok said:

are the runways bigger ? because I think the KSP1 runway is a liiiiiiiiiiiitlle bit too short. Maybe in the other space centers the runways will be bigger :) no pressure tho. :):):):)

Yes, the runways have been significantly lengthened. As someone else mentioned in the thread, the inspiration for the new runways is the Space Shuttle Landing Facility. In general, we are trying to create more elbow room in a lot of areas, including within the VAB itself.

5 hours ago, Iron Kerman said:

Looking great!!! But where docks?

They're there -- the camera just didn't catch them this time. In addition to being able to spawn vehicles at launchpads and on runways, you'll be able to spawn ships at the docks directly from the VAB.

13 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Yes, the runways have been significantly lengthened. As someone else mentioned in the thread, the inspiration for the new runways is the Space Shuttle Landing Facility. In general, we are trying to create more elbow room in a lot of areas, including within the VAB itself.

They're there -- the camera just didn't catch them this time. In addition to being able to spawn vehicles at launchpads and on runways, you'll be able to spawn ships at the docks directly from the VAB.

Does this mean KSP 2 will have dedicated boat parts? If not, I got plans. :)

14 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Ok i was just asking because i wanted to make sure i had not imagined them in a earlier post.

i am now very excited for boats like jumping up and down level sounds childish but i dont care im happy.

20 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Does this mean the scale factor in relation to  the planet size is more generous? Or the scale of the planet itself? Or a little bit of both? The last time I looked at this problem, trying to sus out the scales in relation to IRL. Scaling up the runway by the same factor as Kerbin resulted in longer then real. I mean it's fine to have some buffer some things don't scale well. I ask because I'm playing at 2.5x scale RN, and I actually find it easier to get to orbit. Gravity turns feel less forced, and it's pretty easy to burn to apogee. Something that just isn't natural at the current stock scale.

Edited by snkiz
Forgive me if this had been addressed before.

2 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

Looks like a waste of RAM and processor cycles to me. Make the physics engine bulletproof and it could be wireframe for all I care. (Still holding out for Borderlands-style cel-shading though.)

You mean KSP2? 

Remember that KSP 1 is badly optimized. KSP2 is being reprogrammed from the ground up. I think people are going to be surprized how smooth KSP 2 is going to run

50 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

As a person who 8 years later still struggles to land spaceplanes Im grateful. Can we infer from this and earlier comments that vehicle size and weight limits will be important that there will be different VAB upgrades/tiers or has that not been decided?

I just hope there's not a zillion brand new scientific discoveries (Science points) sitting around a facility that I already had the science and technology to build... KSC Science rovers are cheating! ymmv

Edited by TLTay

15 hours ago, KSPStar said:

Here's a first look at the in-progress Kerbal Space Center, showing off the beautiful work of artists Matt Reynolds and Jordan Pack.

Your editor must've been having a tired day. I saw this with my eagle eyes at 0:34 in the video.

It doesn't mean anything though, I'm very proud with Matt and Jordan's work. Keep it up!

20 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

This is an excellent note. Consider that hill deleted.

I mean... if you really have made the runways longer, then it shouldn't be an issue. 

Personally, I look at that hill in the distance and don't see a problem

14 hours ago, snkiz said:

Ironically if you have fast storage, say nvme, or optane. This is a realistic if not ideal option. When I play cities it's using about 28gb of real ram and about 40 gb of page file for a decent size game. That only leaves 4gb for everything else and the page file. You notice it, but it's not unbearable. Your not going to get away with streaming assets that way, yet. But for a lot of use cases it isn't necessary or there are shortcuts. With what the new consoles are doing with storage, next gen standards. The difference between your page file and ram is going to be closer to the difference between say, DD2 and DDR4 ( Talking out of my a** but you get the idea.)  

Actually more RAM is even more important for people who still use spinning rust. Since being able to load more into memory negates many of the issues associated with hard drives.

Also the difference between hitting the page file and ram is several magnitudes of order worse than even the slowest DDR even on high performance SSDs. 

Even ones that can in theory approach transfer speeds close to dual channel DDR4 (which in practice won't happen) can't even come close to the IOPS of RAM. 

In english, SSDs are fast. But they still can't handle the CPU asking for multiple unrelated bytes nearly as well or quickly as RAM. 

So basically the short version....get as much RAM and as fast RAM as you can afford at the time. It'll benefit you in the now and tomorrow.

PS - Not really criticism, just wanted to further explain.

11 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Actually more RAM is even more important for people who still use spinning rust. Since being able to load more into memory negates many of the issues associated with hard drives.

And that's why I only mentioned nvme and optane. None of what you said applies.

9 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

There are some problems with shadows, flickering is visible, as in the original game. Clouds don't look like what they've shown before, they look like low-res textures

This is a test scene, some visual roughness around the edges is to be expected.

On 5/28/2021 at 4:39 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

So - aside from cheering on the team and appreciating any progress updates... what is the 'woo'?

Not up to par with something like this (which is 'woot' worthy)  

The 'woo" is were now getting regular updates from the devs. We shouldn't expect everything we see to be some huge beautiful thing that fits into the trailer. The devs are just letting us all know that progress is continually being made.

Edit: Just want to add that I'm really happy we're seeing these updates. The only other game I've seen with constant scheduled updates like this is factorio:

It gives me a feeling that the devs are here to serve the community and make us a great game and genuinely consider what we think (though I think they know what they're doing and can make better decisions). And even if the devs just shared some coding updates about the game instead of features demonstrations I would find that fascinating as well.

Edited by mcwaffles2003

Seeing the giant statue (which is awesome) gave me an idea.

Would it be possible to unlock this (or other) statues in-game by completing tasks? Something like "first Kerbal in another planet/moon", "heroically crashing while doing X" or "sending the first robot to Duna"?

It would be really nice to have a visual representation of all the important milestones.  To walk around between those statues, reading the plaques of a hypothetical memorial garden "here lies [Kerman Kermanson] - thanks to his piloting of [Rocket 22] we know the sun is too hot to land on it".

21 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Seeing the giant statue (which is awesome) gave me an idea.

Would it be possible to unlock this (or other) statues in-game by completing tasks? Something like "first Kerbal in another planet/moon", "heroically crashing while doing X" or "sending the first robot to Duna"?

It would be really nice to have a visual representation of all the important milestones.  To walk around between those statues, reading the plaques of a hypothetical memorial garden "here lies [Kerman Kermanson] - thanks to his piloting of [Rocket 22] we know the sun is too hot to land on it".

It'd be kind of neat if the statue didn't appear until you killed your first Kerbal. It would make it quite the achievement to not have a statue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.