Show and Tell - The Kerbal Space Center

StarSlay3r

2 hours ago, TLTay said:

It'd be kind of neat if the statue didn't appear until you killed your first Kerbal. It would make it quite the achievement to not have a statue.

Wouldn't that encourage someone to immediately kill one of the main four to have a statue of their favorite Kerbal? Nah, the statue stays as a general Kerbalnaut. They can put a MIA/KIA plaque elsewhere.

Overall I think the KSC looks good.  It does still have an 'unfinished' look to it, but that's to be expected, because it's still a WIP.  To me the statue looks more of an object of inspiration, and not intended as a memorial to lost comrades.

Awesome! 

I do have lots of questions however. 

1. Is it official? Will the new KSC have only one radar dish?
  2. And is the giant polygon ball a telescope?
  3. And are the big flat round cylinders fuel storage? IF not what is it?
  4. And will have signs?
  5. Is this final or is this a work in progress?
  6. Is the astronaut complex the building behind the giant bronze kerbal statue?
  7. I also notice there are lots of shots of certain buildings? Especially at 0:38. Is this the R and D building complex? 
  8. At 0:43 I also notice a Control Tower and VAB. But where is the Space Plane Hanger?
  9. At 0;41 I also notice that there seems to be 2 runways? Will the second one have a function or is it just for looks? 
  10. At 0:003 there a building next to the giant radar dish.  Is this the tracking station building?
  11. I also see two giant bodies of water. Seem to be lakes. Is the KSC going to be in a swamp-ish area. 

Thats all I have to ask. 

On 5/28/2021 at 9:29 AM, SpacePerson said:

I agree. And also they should be a bit harder to find than the giant obvious squad obelisk in ksp 1.

The giant obvious squad obelisk, as in just the one near the KSC? You’ll be happy to know that that’s supposed to be an introduction to the Easter eggs, and is not, in fact, the only one. 

On 5/28/2021 at 12:16 PM, Wubslin said:

That would seem to be based on an overdramatic, worst case assumption of a December 31, 2022 release.

The pessimistic in release dates are never disappointed 

I am expecting holidays 2022, and if it's earlier i'll be excited

3 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

The pessimistic in release dates are never disappointed 

I am expecting holidays 2022, and if it's earlier i'll be excited

Yeah, I believe it'll release either by KSPs 11th anniversary in 2022 or the 2022 holiday season

I guess that's a fully developed KSC, if that's going to be a thing in KSP2? Presumably the statue won't appear until the last development stage, so you'll have done a few missions before it's there.

It looks a lot bigger than the KSP1 KSC. I wonder if there will be more building 'types'? I suppose we kind of already know there'll be a 'docks' type.

There are also a lot of flat roofs to land on :cool: I wonder if you can drive around inside that telescope / transmitter thingy bowl :lol:

Does the fact that the devs are showing things like the KSC mean they're far into development? 

You'd expect them to finish the main gameplay features before they start showing us less important things like the KSC, so it might be safe to assume they're deeper into development than we may think.

2 minutes ago, JustDark said:

mean they're far into development

It means that they want to show us some eye candy to keep our interest fixed. They could show us lines of code that execute in the background but the impact would be less. They likely have a couple of development streams working in parallel. But as my mom used to say about supper... it will be ready when it's ready.

4 minutes ago, JustDark said:

Does the fact that the devs are showing things like the KSC mean they're far into development? 

You'd expect them to finish the main gameplay features before they start showing us less important things like the KSC, so it might be safe to assume they're deeper into development than we may think.

No not really. @K^2 gives a really good explanation why somewhere in this forum. Basically they have to keep the artists busy while the programmers are working on the backend things.

The WIP KSC looks very cool! Hopefully some industrial buildings in the style of the cool models we saw earlier can also be added to the complex. As long as they make sense of course, since there's probably no need for things like on-site xenon production.

9 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

No not really. @K^2 gives a really good explanation why somewhere in this forum. Basically they have to keep the artists busy while the programmers are working on the backend things.

That, and the common paradigm these days is vertical slices, where you drive specific features or visuals to completion. So you see a lot of stuff that's fairly finished next to things that aren't even started. It looks like unprofessional hot garbage to an outsider, but to a seasoned game dev, it's actually easier to tell how things are going and where corrections need to be made based on finished assets and/or features rather than everything being equally half-baked. Of course, it's still a tradeoff in some respects, and might be part of the reason why we're seeing so many projects hit long chains of repeated delays. But if we're being honest, the industry is still learning how to make big, high budget games.

On 5/31/2021 at 11:54 AM, Burning Kan said:

Is it Destroyable like the old one? iam normaly not so destructive, but would be good to now @KSPStar

With so many new buildings, the only right Kerbal reaction would be, "Can it blow up?"

Looks great.  

I'd like to see a top down map view please.

Also, will there be a launchable helipad (not rocket) launch site, perhaps in a building the would be destroyed?  Should this go in suggestions?

Peace.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.