The Elcano Challenge: Ground-Based Circumnavigation (4th)

12 hours ago, Sp1f said:

Hello comrades!

Welcome to the forums, great first post!

I’m looking forward to adding you to the leaderboard!  

Mun circumnavigation complete! This will be a "stock craft" entry with only a few visual mods.

In this career mode playthrough, I am trying to savor the early game by really exploring the Mun properly. To that end, in the weeks before destiny showed me this forum topic, I built a nice orbital station, complete with a general purpose rover for science collection and missions on Mun or Minmus. I call it the Gnat.

Spoiler

9z2k4cl1sbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

For the purposes of the challenge, here are some screenshots of the Gnat launching. I did launch from the KSC and fly it properly to the Mun - that just happened a week or so before I heard of the Elcano challenge. I originally intended the Gnat to just be used for light duty science collection and career contract running on the Mun and Minmus. It had already made one landing and 20km rove and I liked how it had handled. So when I heard of the Elcano challenge, I decided to give it a try with the rover I already had.

Spoiler

hz78yactubj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

launching from KSC

ebsd61e4vbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

upper atmosphere

0mafkbzovbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

burning for mun

The Gnat was intended as a part of the whole Mun/Minmus exploration package I called the Munar Gateway Station. Here she is docked at her berth before the mission.

Spoiler

zqhonmiuvbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

Arriving on the Mun:

Spoiler

6l6noxe2wbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

Leaving the Space Crane at the landing site and proceeding to the start line:

Spoiler

5834ey3jwbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

Placing a flag at the start line:

qza456etwbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

Some fun pictures of milestones on the way:

Spoiler

49r8lmi1xbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

getting started

rvyjjn2axbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

paying our respects

12foe599ybj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

care package near the south pole, repair parts and some minor modifications to the rover.

uxanl21mybj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

found this by chance. weird spatial anomaly is visible that i see sometimes on the mun

After 27 days of driving when I could find the time, Bill and Dofrod finalled arrived at the finish line by the great arch. All the other Kerbals had come to celebrate.

01zp4sduzbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

Circle of flags:

Spoiler

2yht7mjrlcj71.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Heading back home to the Munar Gateway Station to repair and prep the Gnat for Minmus:

Spoiler

093umyu10cj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

1y1jhbo80cj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

21 hours ago, Sp1f said:

Mun circumnavigation complete!

Leaderboards have been updated, congratulations!

Spelling 'Yay Bill' on the panels of the lander was a nice touch.  I have found docking rovers to rockets on the surface to be very challenging.  Your delivery and recovery sky crane setup looks great.

Again, welcome to the forums!

Okay, I have come back from my holidays, and it seems that setting friction to its maximum mostly fixes wheels, otherwise it's like I'm driving on buttersticks. This means this elcano will come to an end successfully, I think.

Alright, enough procrastination!

Minmus Elcano, aka Fast on a Blue Moon

Spoiler

TQszXEL.png

We're back to an Elcano, with the brand new Centipede Mark Two! As expected it's much sturdier than the mark one, but you go so fast on Minmus, the fore is a weakness anyways.

fuk0qx0.png

Touchdown in the Great Flats

GQ6mzuA.png

Our team:

wQzezEg.png

Let's get going!

xgYQ2E4.png

Casually jumping higher than the Empire State Building...

1Evwm2s.png

In a Flat, an old flag is found.

rgmsVyc.png

Pushing the wheels to their absolute maximum, I reach one third of the orbital speed, not bad...

JK6CAYb.png

From the Flats to the Highlands, let's find that monolith!

we3n3Ow.png

The Greenolith conveniently spawned close to the Equator.

nKdEyHZ.png

We are moving much, much faster than Minmus spins, so it's not suprising we end up running out of light.

CpTOSMh.png

We still find the fixed monolith.

4GiPOfG.png

Another flat, another flag.

zDKYb6P.png

Uh... how did that happen? Did I accidentally destroy all light in the Universe?

434oCvo.png

One sixth of Minmus to go

jQVTfJD.png

Just a bit further!

xfDJkKq.png

Done!

qoviGlE.png

Obligatory photo:

Ty60Y3N.png

And now we get going.

S1iD9Wn.png

This will never get old...

tzF3mb8.png

Not that much science was left, but hey, not gonna complain. The real science is the rocks you've treaded on on the way, or something like that, dunno.

mxIiJse.png

Ring of flag! No Elcano 5 because I am a derp who cannot count.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

38 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Ring of flag! No Elcano 5 because I am a derp who cannot count.

That made me laugh!  If I had a nickel for every time I’ve done that...

At some point in the past, the game stopped providing me with an unlimited supply of flags.  So I started marking progress with KerbNet markers.  I still like flags better.   But it did cause me to change how I name waypoints.

I label my waypoints now with the basic lat/long (ex. 05N060W).  That has reduced the number of waypoints I mis-label, but I still think dropping flags as you go is a more elegant way of doing it.

I’ll get your latest run added to the leaderboards soon, great post!

• 2 weeks later...

So, literally years after my mun circumnavigation, I've finally done a Duna one.

This is with modded KSP 1.11 in my career game, with a bunch of mods - notably SSPX and most of near-future. There are a few screenshots at https://imgur.com/a/WYWog6i .

The trip includes a 200-meter-long interplanetary ship, carrying 6 kerbals, plus a 16-ton rover with a SSPX greenhouse and a 20-ton crew land/ascent ship in a coaxial configuration (with help of some 5m annular saddle trusses). The rover lands by itself, then the crew land on the land/ascent ship, rover goes rendezvous the lander, all 6 crew transfers to the rover. All 6 crew then go on to visit all of Duna's anomalies and most of its biomes, ending up at the ascent ship to get back to the 200-meter mothership in orbit.

My SCAN BTDT shows the path taken quite nicely:

H6igumO.png