Kerbal Submariners Needed

OK I am in the middle of making a large electric submarine on the PS4 and thanks to some very helpful advice I've managed to get it moving at a blitzing 1.5 m/s utilizing the heavy rotors and elevon 4 I think? The one with pointy ends on both sides in a kind of slanted square shape (if that helps at all). The sub itself is easy but during my now 10 to 12 hours worth of experimentations some of the parts for the propeller have been doing some very wierd things like flipping mirrored and unmirrored constantly while underway which kills off all thrust.

Experienced Kerbal lords and ladies of the sea I humbly ask what parts have worked for you (other than jets) and how do you fashion your water whipping propellers to dominate the wet parts of Kerbin?

This sounds very much like the brief reversal of deploy direction when the axis of elevon crosses the centre of mass, that @fleshjeb mentioned in the other thread.

I play version 1.73 in PC, which I think that is similar to the current patch level on consoles.  My sub at left below has the elevons stay where they were set to deploy.  If I move the props as shown on the right, they snap briefly to the other direction when they rotate through horizontal.

BEKMpTp.jpg

I put the sub on a stand so I can quickly test this kind of thing as I build.

The only solution I know is to design so that the props are very nearly along the axis of the sub.
Or, you could avoid the problem if you want to rotate the blades to a fixed pitch, with the rotate tool, rather than deploy them.

Just to avoid confusing PC players: This problem went away sometime between KSP-for-PC versions 1.7.3 and 1.11.2, but there was no mention on the bug tracker (but #22932 but you now need a login just to view the bugtracker) so I would not count on it to be fixed on console.

Didnt read exactly.

Iam really, sorry.

BTW PS4 is quite old,found a thread 5years ago talk about mods on PS4

tip:check ya a PC with dedicated min 2gb GPU RAM

KSP is so different with mods its like a different game REALLY

good luck with your large electric submarine

BK

On 6/1/2021 at 5:00 AM, Burning Kan said:

Didnt read exactly.

Iam really, sorry.

BTW PS4 is quite old,found a thread 5years ago talk about mods on PS4

tip:check ya a PC with dedicated min 2gb GPU RAM

KSP is so different with mods its like a different game REALLY

good luck with your large electric submarine

BK

I did at one point have a computer bit it couldn't handle KSP is all it's awesome glory I may end up going back that route. I'm hopeful for KSP2 in a year or so.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:53 PM, OHara said:

This sounds very much like the brief reversal of deploy direction when the axis of elevon crosses the centre of mass, that @fleshjeb mentioned in the other thread.

I play version 1.73 in PC, which I think that is similar to the current patch level on consoles.  My sub at left below has the elevons stay where they were set to deploy.  If I move the props as shown on the right, they snap briefly to the other direction when they rotate through horizontal.

BEKMpTp.jpg

I put the sub on a stand so I can quickly test this kind of thing as I build.

The only solution I know is to design so that the props are very nearly along the axis of the sub.
Or, you could avoid the problem if you want to rotate the blades to a fixed pitch, with the rotate tool, rather than deploy them.

Just to avoid confusing PC players: This problem went away sometime between KSP-for-PC versions 1.7.3 and 1.11.2, but there was no mention on the bug tracker (but #22932 but you now need a login just to view the bugtracker) so I would not count on it to be fixed on console.

OK so let me pick your brain a bit, unless you are also using mods then this question won't really apply, but I'm considering using what I have been seeing called reaction wheel props. How does one build that kind of prop? Is there a piece that will attach the wheels to the sub and still allow them to spin independent of the main sub body?

2 hours ago, Isidro22 said:

I'm considering using what I have been seeing called reaction wheel props.

That can work (KerbalX links) but it is much more work than using the Breaking Ground rotor.

Before the DLC with the robotic parts, players would design their own rotational joints by making two craft fit together very precisely.  The separate craft are often joined by decouplers so they can launch as one, then you decouple them to use them, and switch between craft quite often so you can make adjustments.  There is a long thread about that method :

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.