[Min KSP 1.11] WIP: SunkWorks Maritime Technologies

Angelo Kerman

Latest Release
Wiki
Source Code

A03J4wP.png

Jancott Kerman zipped up her suit and donned her backpack, then checked out all its controls. Everything was in working order. Then she waddled into the airlock, sealed the inner hatch, and put her helmet on. with everything airtight, she tapped the airlock cycling button. The air inside began to evacuate, but seawater instead of a vacuum took its place. She put her swim fins on just as the airlock completed filling up, opened the outer hatch, and floated outside of Aquaria, KSC's undersea research lab. Not only did Aquaria help train astronauts to live in extreme environments, it enabled researchers study the local coral reefs and the changes to the ocean brought on by pollution and climate change. Today though, Jancott needed to retrieve some aquatic experiments and test a new sub delivered last night by the RV Atlantis. If those tests proved successful, then their next test would be under the oceans of Laythe...

If you've ever gotten tired of making boats in Kerbal Space Program out of fuel tanks and wings or wanted to explore the ocean depths, then this mod is for you! SunkWorks Maritime Technologies is a work in progress mod designed to provide parts and functionality to explore aquatic environments with. Features include:

• Modular boat hull parts for building research vessels, cargo ships, and spacecraft recovery vessels.
  • Turn any fuel tank into a ballast tank with the Ballast Control Valve.
  • Balance the boat, dive, and surface with the Kommodore Sea 64.
  • SCUBA gear, a liquid breathing pack, custom wetsuits and water wings let kerbals on EVA play in the water too!

License: All source code and config files are licensed under GPLV3, All art assets including 3D meshes and textures are All Rights Reserved.

Promo images from the parts list:

Spoiler

SyPdTYT.png

Mb3d4uI.png

c02c0fT.png

JbWOEzm.jpg

K56aTbe.png

Very cool! A couple suggestions, if you're open to them:

1. Both Maintain Current Depth and Auto-Trim are switched off if the player presses any keys (i.e. WASD) - however, sometimes you want to help the system out (get your ship to level itself faster?), or make an adjustment, or deviate for a time from your depth for some other reason (avoid hypothetical obstalces - do those even exist underwater?) without having to re-set the system after. It would be great to allow user inputs (and allow for accidental key presses too) without disabling the systems, which would then try to return to depth X / attitude Y after the user is done doing whatever it is they wanted to do.
  2. Would be handy to be able to set the depth (numerically) to maintain as well
  3. Adding a button to maintain neutral buoyancy (adapting to depth as the player zooms around underwater) would be a really cool feature, allowing the user to effectively point themselves in a direction and apply thrust to go where they want - especially for zippy little crafts. I imagine this would combine features of auto-trim and dive control - the sum of all ballast required to keep the ship neutrally buoyant at Depth X is distributed in ballast tanks such that the craft would, if stationary, have a level posture without roll (à la auto-trim), or something like that... Then you can flip your craft around, roll, dive, climb, etc. at will, and while the total ballast changes to keep you neutrally buoyant, the ratios in the tanks stay the same so that you don't have pitch/roll forces on the craft other than the ones you apply (I think). I dunno, could be really neat.

1 hour ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Adding a button to maintain neutral buoyancy (adapting to depth as the player zooms around underwater) would be a really cool feature,

KSP physics doesn't work like real world under water. Once you are neutral you are neutral at any depth.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:31 PM, ColdJ said:

KSP physics doesn't work like real world under water. Once you are neutral you are neutral at any depth.

Huh... well, in that case, then just allowing for setting up the auto-trim for level-ness and the total ballast to neutral, then keeping things that way (not disabling on keypress) should probably be enough, then, I imagine...? Easier! Hooray.

I took your pre-release out for a spin this morning. Very nice. I wasn't able to use the suits but that may have been due to the crew piece I was using to get my diver into place. But the Liquid breathing Pack worked like a charm.
The extra inventory slot is just simply splendid. 

Huzzah! Well done you.

Update:

I figured what was wrong with my suits. The wardrobe change button was not appearing on any crew cabins, but when I checked, the part had the WBISuitSwitcher module.

I figured that PAWS was hiding it so I uninstalled PAWS and the wardrobe changer then worked fine. I changed into the diving suits,successfully, however the textures appeared black.

Edited by Caerfinon
update on siuts

13 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

I took your pre-release out for a spin this morning. Very nice. I wasn't able to use the suits but that may have been due to the crew piece I was using to get my diver into place. But the Liquid breathing Pack worked like a charm.
The extra inventory slot is just simply splendid. 

Huzzah! Well done you.

Update:

I figured what was wrong with my suits. The wardrobe change button was not appearing on any crew cabins, but when I checked, the part had the WBISuitSwitcher module.

I figured that PAWS was hiding it so I uninstalled PAWS and the wardrobe changer then worked fine. I changed into the diving suits,successfully, however the textures appeared black.

Nice! Not sure why you're getting black textures on the suits. I tested this with stock KSP 1.11.1 without issues.

Meanwhile, I'm finishing up my Mk-33 payload crane this week, then next week I start in on the boat hulls. I did some research into how to make them, and as cool as it would be, making them via procedural parts is beyond my skill. But I have a plan for making bow, midships, and stern sections.

Small glitch in the matrix:

After I installed pre-release  v0.2.0 I discovered that the Kerbal parachutes no longer function correctly. After leaving an  aircraft and letting go in flight the P key would no longer deploy the chute and the deploy option in the PAW was completely gone.

Sadly this resulted in the rather surprising death of a valued KSIS agent on a covert deployment operation, but I digress. :sad:  

On removing WildBlueIndustries\Sunkworks from from GameData, the ability to parachute out of a perfectly good airplane returned.

I'm not exactly sure what the cause of this is, but if you need more testing done, let me know.

Submitted: Issue #1

Edited by Caerfinon

5 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Small glitch in the matrix:

After I installed pre-release  v0.2.0 I discovered that the Kerbal parachutes no longer function correctly. After leaving an  aircraft and letting go in flight the P key would no longer deploy the chute and the deploy option in the PAW was completely gone.

Sadly this resulted in the rather surprising death of a valued KSIS agent on a covert deployment operation, but I digress. :sad:  

On removing WildBlueIndustries\Sunkworks from from GameData, the ability to parachute out of a perfectly good airplane returned.

I'm not exactly sure what the cause of this is, but if you need more testing done, let me know.

Submitted: Issue #1

Hm, I think I need to avoid disabling certain part modules like the parachute. Probably a bug in the WBIWearablesController.

18 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Was the parachute visible at the time?

the parachute packs were visible, however after jumping (even with deployment preset to immediate) there was no chute deployment. The pack remained on the back, and the "cut chute" option appeared in the PAW.

4 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

the parachute packs were visible, however after jumping (even with deployment preset to immediate) there was no chute deployment. The pack remained on the back, and the "cut chute" option appeared in the PAW.

Ok, testing a fix...

fhQvdoE.png

cuzdxfI.png

IDc2MpD.png

5PTDJMc.png

ssjja3H.png

Valentina Kerman: pilot, astronaut, Navy SEAL. :)

7 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, testing a fix...

Oh that is awesome! And a little inspiration maybe for some new air/sea contract missions... frog-kerbals jumping from choppers to assist with capsule recovery missions using EVA construction to attach additional flotation. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Good job!

16 hours ago, MonkeyCan'tDock said:

Might have been answered already, any conflicts with other suit mods (Benjee10's historical suits for example)?

Not to my knowledge. I've been using @benjee10's suit mods myself and haven't seen any issues. I also use KHSK and don't see issues with that one either. Have you noticed problems other than the parachute?

@Angel-125 are you making front part from cilinder? Try to cut a bit of central portion like it's done in this video

Spoiler

It's from Planet explorer, but should explain the idea.

This will make the shape sharper and more boat-like overall

Edited by Warro