Jump to content

[Min KSP 1.11] WIP: SunkWorks Maritime Technologies


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Looks great. Iw ould alwasy like to use this to just sink. :) Ive never been underwater in ksp 

This was true for me until recently: I returned a probe which landed in the sea, it slowly sank under the surface (and I couldn't recover it). I did however manage to recover it from the sea bed when it finally came to rest, and I think I got a science bonus for that :-D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

This was true for me until recently: I returned a probe which landed in the sea, it slowly sank under the surface (and I couldn't recover it). I did however manage to recover it from the sea bed when it finally came to rest, and I think I got a science bonus for that :-D

Maybe you've discovered that all biomes have both situations available:  "landed" and "splashed", which doubles most of science reports(try to find "splashed at Kerbin Mountains"-it is possible :)). AFAIK the only one science report which has difference based on depth is DMagic bathimetry report https://spacedock.info/mod/128/DMagic Orbital Science
 

Quote

Submersible Oceanography and Bathymetry

  • An undersea experiment for studying the composition of the ocean and study the seafloor.
  • Use in both shallow and deep oceans; the depth threshold is configurable in the part config file.

 

Edited by Warro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So far I am loving the idea of being able to dive in KSP.  I do have one question is there any way to make your kerbal descend quicker then . 2 m/s I click the sink button it says filling until the speed reaches .2 then says closed, I can surface way quicker.  I didn't know if maybe this was meant to be this way or if maybe I have some kind of conflict with something else, just wanting to see if this is how it is supposed to function.  Thanks for all the hard work everyone puts into these mods

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fxcustoms said:

any way to make your kerbal descend quicker then . 2 m/s

currently there is not. The best way to submerge quickly is in a submarine/diving bell and when you get close to your underwater target, then EVA your diver.

When you are diving if you select neutral buoyancy you will swim on a level plane. You can use the shift key to ascend towards the surface and the CTL key to descend while swimming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, fxcustoms said:

So far I am loving the idea of being able to dive in KSP.  I do have one question is there any way to make your kerbal descend quicker then . 2 m/s I click the sink button it says filling until the speed reaches .2 then says closed, I can surface way quicker.  I didn't know if maybe this was meant to be this way or if maybe I have some kind of conflict with something else, just wanting to see if this is how it is supposed to function.  Thanks for all the hard work everyone puts into these mods

At the moment I don’t know if it is possible to sink a kerbal faster while diving, so using a diving bell or submarine remains the best approach for now.

 I am hoping for another small release this weekend- work has required a lot of my time of late, so I haven’t gotten as far as I would like. I have the cargo deck look figured out, and have texture switching sorted as well. You will be able to switch between the wooden yacht deck and the metallic cargo deck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

June was about figuring out how the parts fit together, July was about figuring out the textures. Now it’s just a matter of replicating the techniques. I have some small tweaks to finish but things are finally shaping up.

OJXNHmk.png
c8uJrV6.png
Work permiting, August will bring about the hull and deck parts. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

June was about figuring out how the parts fit together, July was about figuring out the textures. Now it’s just a matter of replicating the techniques. I have some small tweaks to finish but things are finally shaping up.

OJXNHmk.png
c8uJrV6.png
Work permiting, August will bring about the hull and deck parts. :)

Those are some big tarpaulins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SunkWorks 0.2.6 is now available:

Changes

- Finished the modeling and texturing for the SW-75 keel sections.
- Replaced SWTextureVariants and SWMirrorHelper with SWPartVariants. Unlike the stock ModulePartVariants, you can have multiple SWPartVariants in the same part config.

Admittedly this isn't much of a change from 0.2.5, but the keels are done, and it sets the stage for me to design the hull sections. I'm taking an approach similar to how @AlphaMensae makes launchpad parts with lots of configurable options. I'm hoping that will help keep the part count down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took your boat hulls out for a spin. Very good.

I think I'd like to add some nodes and a fuel cell to run my electric marine engines but a great place to start. Would love it if you could convert Squad's Plane Hatch prop into a model that has the bit that allows you to go in and out, so I could have a simple IVA attached to it and then place it on boat cabins, or command towers to go in and out. The Mk2 Expansions Endcap works well when linked to a simple IVA but it is a bit wide. Look forward to your future good works.

Getting ready to deliver supplies to the deep ocean crew who will be building an Oil Rig. :)

xLyjv0t.png2ukZ39L.png

7P1Gy3e.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Took your boat hulls out for a spin. Very good.

I think I'd like to add some nodes and a fuel cell to run my electric marine engines but a great place to start. Would love it if you could convert Squad's Plane Hatch prop into a model that has the bit that allows you to go in and out, so I could have a simple IVA attached to it and then place it on boat cabins, or command towers to go in and out. The Mk2 Expansions Endcap works well when linked to a simple IVA but it is a bit wide. Look forward to your future good works.

Getting ready to deliver supplies to the deep ocean crew who will be building an Oil Rig. :)

Nice to see the keel parts already getting use. :) Keel sections aren't designed to be habitable; that's the job of the hull sections and superstructure parts that sit on top of the keel. The keels parts are intended for ballast trim- fill the port, starboard, fore, and aft tanks or empty them as needed to keep the ship level. To give you an idea of where the hull parts are going...

fmxRo7i.png

Support machinery in the form of generators, crew cabins, and the like will be added to the mod after the hull parts are done. Things like screws to propel the ships will have high thrust but only work when the craft is splashed down and IntakeLqd is available. They will run on Intake Air, Liquid Fuel, and Intake Liquid, or Intake Liquid and Electric Charge. They'll be among the first things that I make once the hulls are done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warro said:

@Angel-125 not the thing of utmost importance, but have you thought of any solution for multihull type vessels with asymmetrical hulls? Where inward side is flat/narrower than outward? Like this:

  Hide contents

e7e61e128fe50ef94bf06e02b606eac8.jpg1112743478c9d38e3636ba0a08c50b3a.jpg

Catamaran-type hulls are something I've thought of, yes. I'm not sure how it will play out yet, but I'm definitely thinking about it. :)

Meanwhile, I have the prototype hull in game:

Yq0H2iB.png

rhppHig.png

25AdLXv.png

raluw5e.png

Height of the hull: 2.5m:

bQkXZEH.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, wreckreation said:

Oh I am sooo looking forward to using this to build spacecraft and crew retrieval ships.  Awesome work!  Keep it up!

Glad you like the direction the mod is going in too. :) SunkWorks is aimed at vessel recovery ships, science vessels, and cargo ships. Technically the parts can be used for warships but that's not the aim of the mod-there are plenty of others out there for that. Anyway, I'm working through the design of the bow hull. Its configuration options follow that of the keel sections so it should be easy to configure. Depending on how hard it'll be, I want to incorporate a few deck options too to keep the part count down. Specialized decks like elevators would be separate parts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Low middle sides would be nice so that cargo and small boats and small subs can be loaded and off loaded.

Just wondering on a side topic. I was using your Buffalo impellers, and was wondering why they were chewing electricity so fast. Finally realised you had "Ignore for Isp" set to false. Was this on purpose?

PS, they run on your ballast which is interesting when using them with your keels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting my larger base that holds 9 smaller sized bases took a while as for some reason the inner nodes didn't scale out properly, even though I only used rescaleFactor. But I have now made possible fully unloading the ship.

NFFwEAL.pngXQz9ZCf.png8rcuFlz.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Low middle sides would be nice

Indeed!  There are ships IRL that can sink their decks below the water's surface, move under another ship and then refloat to lift that other ship clear of the water and transport it.  Such ships have gunwhales near the middle of the ship even with the deck (but normal height fore and aft).

I imagine in KSP something like that could come in very handy for retrieving larger craft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...