[Min KSP 1.11] WIP: SunkWorks Maritime Technologies

Angelo Kerman

6 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Low middle sides would be nice so that cargo and small boats and small subs can be loaded and off loaded.

Just wondering on a side topic. I was using your Buffalo impellers, and was wondering why they were chewing electricity so fast. Finally realised you had "Ignore for Isp" set to false. Was this on purpose?

PS, they run on your ballast which is interesting when using them with your keels.

5 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Getting my larger base that holds 9 smaller sized bases took a while as for some reason the inner nodes didn't scale out properly, even though I only used rescaleFactor. But I have now made possible fully unloading the ship.

Clever use of the crane and Buffalo aquatic engines. :) Buffalo's aquatic parts and diving plugin are the precursor to SunkWorks. Eventually I'll replace Buffalo's part modules with those from SunkWorks when you have the newer mod installed. But my bandwidth is limited right now, and they can wait.

Meanwhile, today I did some research. Below is a test deployment. The hull sections are hollow, and two are stacked on top of each other. I haven't figured out how options for ladders will work yet- you can turn them on or off through mesh variants, but I need to figure out the specifics. This is just a fit test to make sure you can fit parts into the hull section with little to no clipping.

The top deck has a pair of Size 2 (2.5m diameter) Rockomax-16 fuel tanks, while the bottom deck with the kerbal has 3 simulated Standard Shipping Containers (1 SP-S18 panel tall and wide, 2 SP-S18 panels long). The SSC is roughly the size of a real-world twenty-foot equivalent unit shipping container, rescaled to kerbal scale.

I do plan to add specialized parts like elevators, but I need to work through the basic hull design first. Once that's done I can make half-height decks (which potentially gives me the basis for crew facilities).

xlQbNgO.png

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

3 simulated Standard Shipping Containers

Very cool. If you want to lower time and part count when you are testing, I use the containers out of Grounded Modular Vehicles.

They came with top and bottom nodes but I added front, back left and right. They all rescaleFactor properly, It was only the larger base set to a rescaleFactor of 3 not scaleing my inner nodes so I could could put 9 standard ones on it that were a problem. Here are the nodes for the standard size.

node_stack_bottom = 0, 0, 0.448, 0, 0, 1, 1
    node_stack_top = 0, 0, -0.448, 0, 0, -1, 1
    node_stack_right = 0.6255, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1
    node_stack_left = -0.6255, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0, 1
    node_stack_front = 0, 0.8878, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1
    node_stack_back = 0, -0.8878, 0, 0, -1, 0, 1

hope that helps.

Also at some point Squad changed something that that caused the standard RCS systems to display fx backwards when using. I have been fixing models I come across that use "ModuleRCS" with "ModuleRCSFX", once I found out how to look up the "thrusterTransformName" of a mesh. I have just finished on Your most excellent "Jetwings" model. For some reason the attach nodes were reversed as well but all good now. I have been so caught with having as few mods in as possible while modding and testing, that I have been missing out on some your fantastic stuff. Pity Warro didn't know because as your Jetwings also fly underwater, it would have been pretty close to that underwater scooter he wanted.

Looking forward to your next amazing pieces.

3 hours ago, wreckreation said:

Indeed!  There are ships IRL that can sink their decks below the water's surface, move under another ship and then refloat to lift that other ship clear of the water and transport it.  Such ships have gunwhales near the middle of the ship even with the deck (but normal height fore and aft).

I imagine in KSP something like that could come in very handy for retrieving larger craft.

Can actually be done with these keels and previous vessels Like in the Aircraft Carrier Accessories mod and Leviathan mod come with that option. Angel-125's previous ballast system or my Working Underwater Lite mod ballast system can help you do the same with stock parts. I have used it to sink the standard mk3 cargo bay, drive in a sub and then raise it up again.

On 8/1/2021 at 12:39 PM, Caerfinon said:

@Angel-125 Well I did chuckle a bit...  Looks like your company is offering contracts :happy:(but for the Mun?)

D2nLxbe.png

(If you set the agency to "mentality = NoRandomContractMentality" then it won't offer randomly generated contracts.)

Definitely have to fix that, thanks for the tip! :)

Meanwhile, ladders and animated hatches:

mBmG6o6.png

Configurable in case you don't want them:

chSbYaW.png

All on a single part!

Is all looking very nice indeed, love the ladders.

I am having an issue where after a clean suit reset in the SPH I can only change Suits in a pod using your wardrobe changer twice before it overlays and mixes up the suit textures. I have to then do a reset in the SPH to get back the ability to change again. Is this in my game only or have you seen this happen

yourself or with other players?

4 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Is all looking very nice indeed, love the ladders.

I am having an issue where after a clean suit reset in the SPH I can only change Suits in a pod using your wardrobe changer twice before it overlays and mixes up the suit textures. I have to then do a reset in the SPH to get back the ability to change again. Is this in my game only or have you seen this happen

yourself or with other players?

Haven't seen that, but I've been focused on boat parts of late. Speaking of which,

SunkWorks 0.2.7 is now available:

- Recompiled for KSP 1.12.2.
- SWPartVariants now supports part and cost modifiers.
- SWPartVariants now supports ladder enable/disable variants and animation enable/disable variants.
- Added prototype SW-75 Hull Type A (WIP). No warranty provided, part is subject to change.
- Fixed SunkWorks Maritime Technologies agency issuing contracts.

... And with that, this is probably the last time that I'll need to mass-update all of my mods after a KSP release!

I got some bugs fixed in the plugin today, and figured out how to let the various part variant modules talk to each other without stepping on each others toes. As a result, I threw together a test ship:

Ghjgnny.png

One of the parts I want to make is a bulkhead so that you can close off the hull. One of the options is something like a roll-up garage door, letting you turn that hull section into a hangar of sorts.

Here's another image showing the customization options for a hull section:

LFMr9cv.png

Now that I've got the bugs worked out and the inter-module communication, I can add in the railings option and start texturing the bow hull. :)

Sorted out my issue with the suits showing up as all black. Seems Texture Replacer was playing silly bugger with personalized suits enabled. I turned this off and while testing out the historical suit pack and now the diving suits show as intended. 

Now I have my Kerbals in three separate uniforms; 

• Cosmonauts wear the orange ACES suit
  • Air Crews wear the blue ACES suit
  • Naval Personnel wear the O'Beale Diving suit

With persistent inventory set on, Cosmonauts get a jet-pack and parachute, Air Crews just get the parachute, and Naval Personnel get scuba tanks (a Liquid Breathing Tank is  stored on the sub if a very deep dive). 

Edited by Caerfinon

45 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Sorted out my issue with the suits showing up as all black. Seems Texture Replacer was playing silly bugger with personalized suits enabled. I turned this off and while testing out the historical suit pack and now the diving suits show as intended. 

Now I have my Kerbals in three separate uniforms; 

• Cosmonauts wear the orange ACES suit
  • Air Crews wear the blue ACES suit
  • Naval Personnel wear the O'Beale Diving suit

With persistent inventory set on, Cosmonauts get a jet-pack and parachute, Air Crews just get the parachute, and Naval Personnel get scuba tanks (a Liquid Breathing Tank is  stored on the sub if a very deep dive). 

Thanks for investigating that suit texturing problem, I'm glad you got it sorted out! Good idea with the persistent inventory turned on, I'll have to do that for my career game... Sounds like a nice setup for space, air, and sea crews.

On 8/9/2021 at 6:01 PM, Souptime said:

It would be cool if we could download all the kerbal inventory stuff if we dont want the boats, it would be useful on planets like laythe and eve

Doing stuff like that adds to a nightmare of mod downloads for me, but you can easily delete the parts that you don't want. All the inventory stuff is listed under Parts/Cargo. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm experiencing odd behavior between this mod and B9 Procedural Wings. I use the wings as structural pieces (no tanks inside) to build my hulls, and separate vanilla tanks as ballast on the bottom. Upon launch of the vessel, it settles into the water and behaves pretty much how I want it to. However, the moment I activate Diving Control on the Kommodore, it appears to suddenly max out buoyancy on the wings and my vessel comes flying out of the water. After splashdown, I can't force the wings back under the water with any amount of ballast. I haven't noted the issue with any other parts -yet-, and the Auto-Trim function doesn't cause the issue, only Diving Control.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

how do you handle the suit switching for this mod?

The Sunkworks DLL provides a call to the WBISuitswitcher which is then patched to some stock parts via an MM patch.  The function allows any Kerbal inside the part to change their suits during flight mode. I've added this module to several other parts (the USI Otter sub crew compartments to name a few) and it works quite nicely.    

The patch file looks like this; 

Spoiler
@PART[mk1pod_v2,crewCabin,mk2LanderCabin_v2,mk3Cockpit_Shuttle,mk2CrewCabin,mk3CrewCabin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = WBISuitSwitcher
	}
}

[was just dropping in :) ]

15 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

The Sunkworks DLL provides a call to the WBISuitswitcher which is then patched to some stock parts via an MM patch.  The function allows any Kerbal inside the part to change their suits during flight mode. I've added this module to several other parts (the USI Otter sub crew compartments to name a few) and it works quite nicely.    

Hide contents
@PART[mk1pod_v2,crewCabin,mk2LanderCabin_v2,mk3Cockpit_Shuttle,mk2CrewCabin,mk3CrewCabin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = WBISuitSwitcher
	}
}

So what else would I need to integrate a suit switcher?

17 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Hide contents
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = WBISuitSwitcher
	}
}

Can I use this?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, KCobalt said:

I'm not sure if you just havent made them yet, but i can only find the A type hull, so I cant really make a full boat.

This project is currently on hold. I have made the keels and partly made the bow, but nothing else for ship parts. My focus is currently on finishing Sandcastle, then I have another project to work on.