Twin-Boar engine could use options: I propose running with its concept as KR-1xN "Singular"

I always thought it was disappointing that the Twin-Boar was listed as a KR-1x2, while the associated KR-1 engine is mysteriously missing. Especially given how powerful and efficient it is (taken alone, it would essentially be a Vector engine with lower efficiency, vector range and cost).

The fact that the engines are also permanently mounted to an orange tank also is disappointing.

I'd like to see options for the LFB Twin-Boar to come off its giant liquid fuel booster as a dedicated engine cluster, going down to single and going up to three, four or maybe even five engines.

Call it "KR-1xN "Singular" " as a new part, (because "Singular" is the collective noun for boars) with options to integrate a fuel tank to it, too.

Thrust of the Twin-Boar: 2000kN.

Half of 2000kN: 1000kN.

Thrust of the Vector: 1000kN...

The Twin-Boar is actually modelled on the Pyrios boosters proposed for the SLS so making a single-engine version doesn't make a lot of sense; if you're interested, Restock+ adds a single Boar engine which is pretty much the same as the Vector but with lower ISP.

5 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

The Twin-Boar is actually modelled on the Pyrios boosters proposed for the SLS so making a single-engine version doesn't make a lot of sense; if you're interested, Restock+ adds a single Boar engine which is pretty much the same as the Vector but with lower ISP

Hey, thanks for the heads-up on this information.

I actually knew about this and the mod, and I maintain a spreadsheet of KSP engine stats, so I'm well-aware of how the individual nozzles of the Twin-Boar stack up in relation to the other engines in the game.

Restock also does a lot of things in which I'm not interested, but in addition to that, it doesn't do what I ruminated upon in the OP, which I think would add an interesting angle to the game, which is why I posted it here.

Thanks again for your input though!

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, jjansen said:

Not gonna meme at you in kind, but the engines under that tank are nowhere near vectors in gimbal or in price.

Ok, that makes vectors the clear superior choice. If you like, you can limit the gimbal. If price is bothering you, stop wasting your time in career mode and switch to the superior Sandbox mode :)

10 hours ago, jjansen said:

Thanks for your unconstructive reply though.

You're welcome!

Back to the KR-1 "Boar" as a singular engine, it was proposed by one of the legendary devs/artists Porkjet before leaving SQUAD.  He created this design roadmap in ~2016 IIRC:

Prho2zcPQu0-1OhapuM38DRLfIBLaGLakufNE8nx

Much (but not all) of which has come to pass in the ~5 years since.  

Many (but not all) of these parts were silently released as a mod of sorts, hosted on KSP's own server: https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/files/PartOverhauls.zip

The Single-Boar was not one of them.  Does one of the other Pork-alike mods have a Single-Boar?

@fourfathat looks exactly like Restock and Restock+ which does have the single Boar engine.

Logically, the closest thing to a single Boar without mods would be the KE-1 Mastodon since that’s the F1 analog, but that’s Making History DLC and also significantly more than half the thrust of the Twin Boar.

If more thrust is required, use the Vector, Mastodon or even Mainsail which have progressively more thrust but lower ISP; if less thrust is needed use the Skipper if you can get away with it, it has better ISP than the others but 2/3 the thrust of the Vector (and ~1/3 of a Twin Boar).

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 8:52 PM, jjansen said:

The fact that the engines are also permanently mounted to an orange tank also is disappointing.

I'm pretty sure I once worked out that it's lighter than any other engine+tank combination of similar power, but I don't have the figures any more.

I don't know if I'd use a single boar. It's great as a lightweight engine-tank combo, but I think it would be a bit naff if it lost the weight advantage. In fact, I thought the Twin-Boar was naff until I saw its weight advantage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.