Make A Real Life Rocket! (This challenge is now closed)

My KSP version of the smallest orbital rocket ever, the Japanese SS-520. Which was a bit harder to make than I anticipated, as the in-game 62 cm SRBs are quite anemic, and my payload is quite a lot heavier than the real thing: in stock KSP it is simply not possible to build a fully functional 4 kg cubesat. The 1st stage consists of two SRBs clipped into each other, the rest of the rocket is straightforward.

Edited by QF9E

5 hours ago, Stormpilot said:

Copy/ paste the image into your signature or you can paste the image URL to you signature (I use postimage for posting image URLs).

Paste the image URL into the forums. I use the website post image because I don’t have to make an account or anything but a lot of people use imgur also.

I am totally new to this. What signature?

53 minutes ago, Singhnaut said:

I am totally new to this. What signature?

It's a bit hidden - took me a while as well to figure it out. Here's how you can edit your signature:

On the top right of the page you can see your username, with your profile pic next to it, Click on that, you get a drop-down menu. Click on "Account settings" and you go to a different page with a menu on the left. The bottom-most item on that menu, called "Signature" lets you modify your signature.

7 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Is this a competition? And if so, what exactly are the rules for judging entries?

Simmilarity. The more simmilar or creative your build is, the more likely you will get a high rank.

11 hours ago, Jebediah Kerman - Earth said:

I'm using the ReStock texture mod for this if that's OK.

Here's my Rocket Lab Electron.VvWItHg.png

Texture mods, graphics mods and mechjeb are allowed, but parts expansion mods are not.

13 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

MODS ARE LIFE, WHY WOULD YOU BAN MODS

Stock parts arent good, most look bad, and none of the revamped ones look like ACTUAL ROCKET PARTS

And so that's what challenges do. You've gotta be very creative with your builds! good luck!

On 6/5/2021 at 2:17 AM, Max von Kerman said:

Simmilarity. The more simmilar or creative your build is, the more likely you will get a high rank

Can I be rated for my europa rocket, then? 

It is a rank for one people, or one rank for one rocket?

Another entry from me, the Ares-I. Rather than flying in the Ares-IX configuration with a boilerplate upper stage and capsule, I opted to build a fully functional rocket with an Orion capsule on top, complete with LAS. Since my Orion has enough delta-v to go to the Mun (something I don't think the original would have been able to do) I put it on a free return trajectory to the Mun before re-entry and landing. 

The dimensions of Ares-I are such that the 1st stage should ideally have a 1.8 meter diameter. However, as 1.8m SRBs do not exist in stock KSP, I built the 1st stage out of 2 Kickbacks clipped together, with some 1.8m structural tubing around it. The rest of the rocket is straightforward, with the capsule design and LAS, including boost protective cover, the same as what I've used before on Apollo.

17 hours ago, Max von Kerman said:

Simmilarity. The more simmilar or creative your build is, the more likely you will get a high rank.

Texture mods, graphics mods and mechjeb are allowed, but parts expansion mods are not.

And so that's what challenges do. You've gotta be very creative with your builds! good luck!

I only used stock parts for this :)

20 hours ago, Astrion said:

A little while ago I made this Saturn V with Apollo spacecraft. The only parts with mods are the launch tower, but other than that, it's completely stock.

https://kerbalx.com/Astrionix/Saturn-V

Sorry , this one contains parts expansion mods. Try using stock parts to build any rocket u want!

On 6/5/2021 at 11:13 AM, QF9E said:

However, as 1.8m SRBs do not exist in stock KSP

The Pollux booster is the 1.875m SRB. If you've got 1.8m structural tubes then you probably have the DLC so you should have the Pollux also.

16 hours ago, camacju said:

The Pollux booster is the 1.875m SRB. If you've got 1.8m structural tubes then you probably have the DLC so you should have the Pollux also.

Oh, it is! I totally overlooked it. Thanks for reminding me.

On 6/1/2021 at 6:53 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Might as well throw my Black Arrow replica in here:

9f07bP9.png

Requires Making History, it’s almost life-sized and with almost identical performance to the real thing, but sadly no orange fairing. I also made the proposed Black Prince by sticking the Black Arrow on top of a Blue Streak replica for considerably increased payload capacity and/or range.

ITS THE LIPSTICK!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.