Recovered craft with inventory slots (stock or KIS) from rescue contracts should have typical, and sometimes atypical, items in the inventory on occasion

Wow I’ve never seen a thread title be longer than the OP before so congrats on that :D

Do you mean like random inventory items so one vessel could have say a repair kit but another maybe a solar panel ie randomly generated by the game?

Yes.  Just little things that add some "unique grit" to the game.  Unpredictable minor details that are not game changing, but break up the mathematical monotony.

As for the long title.  I don't consider it so much a long title as a short body.  I mean the title says it all; but the body is required.  I try to make titles descriptive enough that ppl don't have to drill down to figure out what's up and by the time I do that there usually isn't much left to say, ha.

Now that it is a stock thing, that would be nice to come across an extra set of tanks or even a solar panel. I know it would do nothing for gameplay but it would help with immersion.

4 hours ago, darthgently said:

I always check the inventory of recovered rescue craft only to be disappointed

This could be done via Contract Configurator. You can spawn a ship via a craft file that has either KIS or Stock inventories pre-filled. Then when you encounter/recover it you could salvage the stowed parts.  

A problem I have with a lot of games is that all the personalization is overt.  Like you set your settings the way you want them set.  But what if the game noticed that you often forgot to put solar panels on your probes.  Then when a random item is generated in a supply line shipment or recovered craft there is a higher chance that it is a solar panel.  That would be very immersive to be fuming that you'd forgotten a panel, then a bit later you are going over a report on shipment glitches and you see a solar panel was thrown in by "accident".  Then other times it would be a broken solar panel that was thrown in (thrown too hard apparently) by accident, lol.  But the point is that it would personalize the game, either fortuitously or frustratingly, and make it feel less cookie cutter

39 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

This could be done via Contract Configurator. You can spawn a ship via a craft file that has either KIS or Stock inventories pre-filled. Then when you encounter/recover it you could salvage the stowed parts.  

True.  But do you ever get that kind of treadmill feeling that you are spending far more neuron firings setting up and working around glitches in a game than actually playing it?  I don't go to a comedy club to have the comedian read the jokes I wrote for him kind of thing.  A certain element of surprise is required in a game

2 minutes ago, darthgently said:

A certain element of surprise is required in a game

True... I have that issue with contract packs I write... I "know" what's coming. I live vicariously through the surprise of others.

What I dislike the most about the contract system is that after I decide I need a mining base on Minmus, get it all set up, put a science lab for good measure etc, *then* a contract comes up for that very thing but stipulates it must be a *new* build.  And it must be assembled prior to launch.  Who does that?  I want leasing contracts where customers *lease* my existing mining base, or orbital station, lol

On 6/1/2021 at 6:22 PM, darthgently said:

What I dislike the most about the contract system is that after I decide I need a mining base on Minmus, get it all set up, put a science lab for good measure etc, *then* a contract comes up for that very thing but stipulates it must be a *new* build.  And it must be assembled prior to launch.  Who does that?  I want leasing contracts where customers *lease* my existing mining base, or orbital station, lol

This. Very much this all game long.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:34 PM, darthgently said:

That would be very immersive to be fuming that you'd forgotten a panel, then a bit later you are going over a report on shipment glitches and you see a solar panel was thrown in by "accident".

You want the game to fix your mistakes for you? If you forget a solar panel, relaunch or bite the bullet and send a service craft up.

On 6/6/2021 at 11:59 AM, Bej Kerman said:

You want the game to fix your mistakes for you? If you forget a solar panel, relaunch or bite the bullet and send a service craft up.

loL  Nice troll.  It is a game.  Take yer blood pressure meds.  It wouldn't be a given that the game would hand it to you.  It would be more real to find you actually had something on hand that you hadn't ordered now and then than unreal.  And if you read the whole thing I also added that the found panel could be broken which would make it even more entertaining.  *its a game*.  go home, yer bent

13 hours ago, darthgently said:

loL  Nice troll.  It is a game.  Take yer blood pressure meds.  It wouldn't be a given that the game would hand it to you.  It would be more real to find you actually had something on hand that you hadn't ordered now and then than unreal.  And if you read the whole thing I also added that the found panel could be broken which would make it even more entertaining.  *its a game*.  go home, yer bent

I'm sorry you read my message in an angry voice - I'm not angry. I'm simply saying there's a thin line between cheating in another solar panel and finding a solar panel you never ordered but the game put there anyway. As I said, it wouldn't be much of a challenge if you didn't have to launch another one or send up a service craft. Hope your next reply isn't 10.06% insults.

19 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'm sorry you read my message in an angry voice - I'm not angry. I'm simply saying there's a thin line between cheating in another solar panel and finding a solar panel you never ordered but the game put there anyway. As I said, it wouldn't be much of a challenge if you didn't have to launch another one or send up a service craft. Hope your next reply isn't 10.06% insults.

My vitriol was directed at your not really reading what I'd posted, and you are still doing it.  The point wasn't for the game to "cheat" for the player.  As noted, three times now, I also suggested that sometimes the incorrectly shipped item would be a non-working version of what you really needed.  And the item would only be there like 1% of the time.  The point wasn't get get a "free" solar panel.  It was to make what happened in the game more entertaining, make checking up on shipments more interesting (shipment errors occur all the time in the real world; what, you don't like realism?).  Glad to fulfill your hope: this post 100% insult free.  But I'm pretty sure the previous one was also as it was directed at post content and apparent behavior, not character

1 minute ago, darthgently said:

The point wasn't for the game to "cheat" for the player.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:34 PM, darthgently said:

But what if the game noticed that you often forgot to put solar panels on your probes.  Then when a random item is generated in a supply line shipment or recovered craft there is a higher chance that it is a solar panel.  That would be very immersive to be fuming that you'd forgotten a panel, then a bit later you are going over a report on shipment glitches and you see a solar panel was thrown in by "accident".

But what if the game noticed you forgot a solar panel so it threw a dice, and depending on the roll, would cheat in a solar panel without you having to open up Notepad++ and edit the inventory. The devs don't have to do anything, you can just cheat in a panel and pretend someone accidentally threw a panel in.

35 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

But what if the game noticed you forgot a solar panel so it threw a dice, and depending on the roll, would cheat in a solar panel without you having to open up Notepad++ and edit the inventory. The devs don't have to do anything, you can just cheat in a panel and pretend someone accidentally threw a panel in.

You really seem to be working really hard to not get my point.  The point is entertainment.  To be occasionally, very occasionally, be pleasantly surprised (oh, look, i got a panel!) and occasionally be pranked/taunted (broken panel) by the game.  Because that is how the real logistics world works.  In the real world we find we did pack an extra pair of sunglasses for vacation after all, or the wife did, or the sunglasses were left in the bag from the last trip, but either way, hey, I got sunglasses.  Opening notepad would not qualify as entertainment.  A logistics system that never made any errors and any errors it did make *never* had a silver lining would be one of the most unrealistic scenarios I can imagine with regards to supply lines.  I've worked in logistics in some jobs, and have worked *with* logistics in every job.  Stuff happens.  For that stuff not to happen and for the supply lines to work flawlessly would be a bit to escapist and poophole retentive for me.  And I think for many others also

omg.  the forums corrected my .... retentive to "poophole".  like that is any different. lol.  For pity's sake it is a valid psychological term, not scatalogical.  The correction made it worse.  too funny

12 minutes ago, darthgently said:

You really seem to be working really hard to not get my point.  The point is entertainment.  To be occasionally, very occasionally, be pleasantly surprised (oh, look, i got a panel!) and occasionally be pranked/taunted (broken panel) by the game.  Because that is how the real logistics world works.  In the real world we find we did pack an extra pair of sunglasses for vacation after all, or the wife did, or the sunglasses were left in the bag from the last trip, but either way, hey, I got sunglasses.

But this is Kerbal Space Program, and half the game is making mistakes and learning your lesson. The idea you suggest is essentially the automated incarnation of cheating something in because you don't want to bite the bullet and giving it an in-universe reason so you don't feel bad about it.

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

But this is Kerbal Space Program, and half the game is making mistakes and learning your lesson. The idea you suggest is essentially the automated incarnation of cheating something in because you don't want to bite the bullet and giving it an in-universe reason so you don't feel bad about it.

Um. No.  Your mind reading abilities are lacking.  It is called good game design and entertainment.  Do you really think that having some "good luck" one out of a thousand times dice rolls is cheating?  There would be mistakes also, like things missing from shipments.  Would that be cheating?  Perhaps mistakes, and serendipities could be related to the level of kerbals involved, or how long it has been since recertifying the route.  But I'm giving up explaining this to you. I wasn't realizing that I was dialoging with the only person on the planet who never received (or sent) an incorrect shipment IRL.   If you want a game that cheats you when it krakens, memory leaks until it crashes at whim, and never, never throws an extremely occasional bone, that is just bad game design.  And I'm very weary of you ignoring the fact that this would not be a mechanism one could even remotely rely upon.  It would happen very rarely, and make the game more interesting and entertaining.  It would add what game designers call "grit"; basically things that don't feel cookie-cutter or automated, but instead add uniqueness to points in the game rather than yet another permutation of the same stuff over and over

5 hours ago, darthgently said:
5 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Um. No.  Your mind reading abilities are lacking.  It is called good game design and entertainment.  Do you really think that having some "good luck" one out of a thousand times dice rolls is cheating?  There would be mistakes also, like things missing from shipments.  Would that be cheating?  Perhaps mistakes, and serendipities could be related to the level of kerbals involved, or how long it has been since recertifying the route.  But I'm giving up explaining this to you. I wasn't realizing that I was dialoging with the only person on the planet who never received (or sent) an incorrect shipment IRL.   If you want a game that cheats you when it krakens, memory leaks until it crashes at whim, and never, never throws an extremely occasional bone, that is just bad game design.  And I'm very weary of you ignoring the fact that this would not be a mechanism one could even remotely rely upon.  It would happen very rarely, and make the game more interesting and entertaining.  It would add what game designers call "grit"; basically things that don't feel cookie-cutter or automated, but instead add uniqueness to points in the game rather than yet another permutation of the same stuff over and over

Saving the player from their mistakes, even rarely, goes against the whole 'if you fail, try again' pillar the game is built on. If you forget panels, then you should have to relaunch or send a service craft up. The latter, you'll have fun homing in your rendezvousing skills and grabbing your satellite with a claw.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Saving the player from their mistakes, even rarely, goes against the whole 'if you fail, try again' pillar the game is built on. If you forget panels, then you should have to relaunch or send a service craft up. The latter, you'll have fun homing in your rendezvousing skills and grabbing your satellite with a claw.

Just stop.  Repetition isn't fixing your incorrect understanding of what I'm talking about

12 hours ago, darthgently said:
14 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Just stop.  Repetition isn't fixing your incorrect understanding of what I'm talking about

Please calm down.

20 hours ago, darthgently said:

The point wasn't get get a "free" solar panel.  It was to make what happened in the game more entertaining, make checking up on shipments more interesting (shipment errors occur all the time in the real world; what, you don't like realism?).

You don't seem to think I misunderstood you here.

1 hour ago, Single stage to ocean said:

funny, but the items should be useless, eg. jebs sunglasses or valentinas phone

Or Bill's favourite zombie tadpole manga collection. Yep, I'm liking this angle more and more. :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.