Warfare in KSP2 (Using mods and multiplayer)

I've been thinking; warfare in KSP2 using mods and multiplayer would be awesome, much more so than in KSP1. 

In KSP1 you need a lot of mods if you want to play war. You need mods to make bases and cities, you need mods like BDArmory so you can actually fight, and if you're not doing it alone you'll need a multiplayer mod. Most of the time the fighting only happens on Kerbin, and when its in space its usually role play and not strategy based.

With the new base system in KSP2 and stock multiplayer, you won't need nearly as much mods, but playing war will (most likely) work much differently. Not only can you fight on other planets without needing to haul weapons and vehicles across space, but you can fight each other's bases and fight for control over parts of a planet/moon, or fight for total control over the whole thing. Imagine scouting a planet for a good spot to place a strategic base! Maybe you've found a good canyon and you can put a fighter base at the base of a cliff, or you have a tall point of land that you place a fort on to protect the nearby area. It'll be fun to play war in KSP2 less as role play but actual strategy in multiplayer.

When a weapons mod eventually comes to KSP2, playing war in multiplayer would be very fun IMO

CLARIFICATION: I'm not saying stock KSP2 should have weapons and some kind of focus on warfare. That should be delegated solely to mods and how you yourself play KSP.

Edited by JustDark
Wording the post better as it gave some people the wrong impressions

38 minutes ago, JustDark said:

When a weapons mod inevitably comes to KSP2

Personally, I'm hoping nothing about the base game or its modding systems go out of their way to facilitate any of this. I'd be very content to never see any kind of weapon/battling systems in KSP2, ever.

Someone is going to add it by way of mods, that's practically inevitable. But maybe if it's at least not facilitated, it'll remain a very niche thing, and those urges will mostly be taken to other games. There's enough games out there catering to that sort of thing.

It's not like we need much effort or imagination to cause destruction in outer space anyway. Throw a bucket of bolts out the airlock at the right moment, even from halfway around the planet - 10000x more effective than any overpriced high-tech missile or lazor you can ever imagine.

4 minutes ago, JustDark said:

Why no? What don't you like about it?

There are plenty of games centred around violence, but KSP is in a category of its own in the fact that it's about peacefully exploring space.

I think it should stick to that, at least in the stock game. There will undoubtedly be weapon mods available.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

There are plenty of games centred around violence, but KSP is in a category of its own in the fact that it's about peacefully exploring space.

I think it should stick to that, at least in the stock game. There will undoubtedly be weapon mods available.

I agree that stock should be peaceful and that weapons should be delegated solely to mods. I just made this post to discuss the idea of using it to play war. KSP1 already has its own little community centered around vehicles of war and warfare, and I just think KSP2 and its possible mods in the future would really be able to expand on what people in KSP1 try to do. 

Just now, JustDark said:

I agree that stock should be peaceful and that weapons should be delegated solely to mods. I just made this post to discuss the idea of using it to play war. KSP1 already has its own little community centered around vehicles of war and warfare, and I just think KSP2 and its possible mods in the future would really be able to expand on what people in KSP1 try to do. 

Absolutely, multiplayer and broad modding support should allow you to do almost anything you choose ingame. 

Why mod KSP for war when you have plenty of games that already do that better?

And I'm not saying it because I'm against violent games, quite the opposite, best thing Bahamuto ever did was abandoning BDArmory to make VTOL VR, one of my favourite VR games (just last week I spent some 20 hours just practicing Carrier landings with the F-45).

50 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Personally, I'm hoping nothing about the base game or its modding systems go out of their way to facilitate any of this. I'd be very content to never see any kind of weapon/battling systems in KSP2, ever.

Someone is going to add it by way of mods, that's practically inevitable. But maybe if it's at least not facilitated, it'll remain a very niche thing

I'm not saying it be added in as default in stock or that the devs go out of their way to make a mod like this happen. What I was saying there was that, at one point or another, a weapons mod will probably be made, and it will really make playing war in multiplayer fun.

31 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Bahamuto ever did was abandoning BDArmory to make VTOL VR

Wait, Bahamuto did VVR?

8 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

True, but the Missile Turrets I’ve made never hit anything. 
(unless its at point blank)

Practise aiming

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Practise aiming

Kinda hard to practice aiming when most of my uncontrolled projectiles never go in a straight line (and when you try to get it to go straight by adding control, the projectile usually becomes too big and is now a missile lol), atleast from my own experience. Someone has probably made better turrets than me

24 minutes ago, JustDark said:

Kinda hard to practice aiming when most of my uncontrolled projectiles never go in a straight line (and when you try to get it to go straight by adding control, the projectile usually becomes too big and is now a missile lol), atleast from my own experience. Someone has probably made better turrets than me

I only use missiles. I have a good Missile design though.

SRBs for missiles are bad because you can’t turn them off

Edited by Admiral Fluffy

1 hour ago, JustDark said:
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Practise aiming

Trying to aim at rapidly moving objects without any sort of guidance on the projectile can be very difficult. Some form of guidance is recommended - especially in space where having guidance lets you make tiny but huge course corrections as you approach your target.

I will never understand the need to add weaponry to KSP and to blow each other up. I understand the need if you're building replicas of different crafts. (Or Mechs) But in general, why. There are better games out there to scratch that itch.

I'm absolutely sure there will be good weapon mods, and I hope that multiplayer will be good enough to handle space combat, if not at launch, at least eventually.

I look forward to taking a bunch of 'ya on in a dog fight. I promise to fight dirty. :cool:

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

There are better games out there to scratch that itch.

For aerial dogfights, for sure. For space combat? Maybe not. KSP has the kind of realism/game balance that can bring in challenges you don't normally get in space combat games without making it overwhelmingly complex like in the few games that do take a sim approach.

I think that the realism of KSP2, combined with the fact that you can build anything, any way you want, sets it head and shoulders above most other combat games. It has huge potential for a lot of interesting scenarios. I hope the devs don't try to make it difficult to create the mods which would tap that potential.

I'm gonna throw this out here: I don't think KSP is about "peacefully exploring space". I think it's about building rockets. You can do whatever you'd like with those rockets or aircraft. You can build an ICBM just as well as a scientific probe, or a bomber as well as an airliner.

2 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

I'm conflicted about this TBH. I am very attached to the idea of kerbals as completely good-natured, utter pacifists, which means I have a real aversion to the idea of sending them to war, with or without mods. It would take something that's innocent and pure and sully it. 

On the other hand, a space war game with KSP's gameplay and mechanics could be a ton of fun.

I could probably only enjoy a KSP2 war mod if it was a TC that replaced kerbals with something completely different and more obviously vicious, as well as introducing minimal back story / worldbuilding to justify the fighting. Just not with our dear beloved green innocent enthusiastic little kerbals.

EDF and KSP crossover, Kerbals would be perfect for blowing up the hordes of giant ants.

Make it happen 2K, and you won't be able to get away from my money xD

I like the concept personally, not because it works with ksp, but because I will be curious to find out what a space "war" game with semi realistic physics like ksp will look like. After that the weapons must go with it, the best for a space war concretely it is not the lasers the missiles or the plasma, it is the kinetic energy of your projectiles. So the best is a good big electromagnetic cannon to swing at very high speed full of small projectiles that would be potentially fatal for a ship in orbit several million kilometers away..

The mod should offer the EM gun and the constraints related to its operation (electricity, weight ect)

other possible armament solutions, some new parts to make suitable probes or manned vessels (even if we will always be very, very far from Star Wars) and a system similar to the one we have to achieve our trajectories and our transfers in the space to try to aim a target. it will give something almost never seen in the video game while being fun and bringing the subject of armed conflict into a saptial game that wants close to realism. The militarization of space is a very topical subject so I don't find it sassy in ksp. If it's a mod, I say yes.