Saving a rocket file

Hi everyone,

OK.  I have only recently begun with KSP, so I am a novice with it.

But I am not a complete computer ignoramus, I thought.  So I started a game in Sandbox mode.  I named the game.  I saved the game.  I began building a rocket.  I saved the rocket with a name.  I made sure that I saved it.

I left the game to go eat dinner.  I resumed the game.  I was able to reopen the game.  But the rocket is nowhere to be found.  I know how to save files, I thought.

Could someone please tell what I am doing wrong.

I am allowed to use any characters in a rocket's name, am I not?  I called the rocket the following: MetricKerbalist's 1st Rocket

I don't understand what the situation is.

Thank you very much.

Stanley

If you look in the saves folder and then what ever you named your particular run of the game, there will be a pair of folders VAB and SPH. It should be in one of the two. If it is the apostrophe might be giving KSP fits on the files name at least. Try a rename and run from there.

14 hours ago, MetricKerbalist said:

I don't understand what the situation is.

I had a similar problem with saving and it was an option on windows called controlled folder access that prevented me from actually saving in some games.

I don't think thats your case but you might want to search if some other program or windows is preventing you from writing new files.

Edited by Serenity

Hi Serenity,

What you said is most interesting, and could be causing the problem.  I have sometimes gotten a message about controlled folder access, until now not related to Kerbal Space Program.  As I understand it,  Windows 10 is highly security conscious, which for the most part is good practice.

So if controlled folder access is bumping into KSP, what would you recommend as a solution, please?

Thank you.

Stanley

Some guys might recommend to run KSP as admin. Don't do that.

If you have a second drive or partition, install it there. I would always recommend to separate your system files from data and not-so-system-installs. If not, then go for something like "C:\Games\KSP".  In case of Steam, set the library to something like "C:\Games\SteamLibrary". Those folders then are not under special treatment from windows.

On 6/4/2021 at 4:34 PM, MetricKerbalist said:

So if controlled folder access is bumping into KSP, what would you recommend as a solution, please?

You turn it off, its not really a bad idea as long you know what you are doing and have an anti virus or even windows defender.

Or as Mythos said you install on another place and see if that fixes it.

Edited by Serenity

• 3 weeks later...

Hi KSP colleagues,

I am getting really confused on how to reload a flight.  I thought I had this figured out, but I guess I don't.

I have KSP loaded via Steam into an external hard-drive.  Here is my directory structure:

> steamapps > common > Kerbal Space Program > saves > Antenna flight [silly name, I know, but that's what it is] .

Then mid-flight I clicked the Escape key, and I got the message Quicksave As ..., and under file name the dialog box said Filename ... and it filled in quicksave.  I changed that to "Antenna flight #1," without the quotation marks.

I exited KSP altogether, then I came back in and started the game under Resume Saved.  I got a list of all my folders, one of which was Antenna work, no flights in progress.  But there should be a flight in progress.  I click on that and I have the choice of Persistent -- it always seems to create that -- and Antenna flight #1.  But all I can get to is the rocket on the launch pad.

Please, where is my flight?  What am I doing wrong?  I am not a computer expert, but I think that I understand directory structure and how to save a file.

Thank you.

Stanley

57 minutes ago, MetricKerbalist said:

I am getting really confused on how to reload a flight.  I thought I had this figured out, but I guess I don't.

From my experience, if you manage to load a quicksave type of file instead of your main persistent file, it will not take you to the flight in progress, But the flight should be available to switch to from the tracking station (unless doing those few clicks takes long enough to have your craft without control being considered as crashed).

If I want to load a specific quicksave then I would launch the game with any normal persistent file, no matter the content, and then load the quicksave from there.

I have to confess that I'm quite an oldschool KSP player and only use the one persistent file and the one quicksave and rather rely on my OS to backup and restore via renaming those two. I think I never used a named save from within KSP, so my advise lacks some experience on this part of your question :D

Edited by Mythos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.