Take-Two At E3 And The Possibility Of KSP 2 Being There Discussion

So Take-Two is going to be one of the companies present at E3 next week, and this could mean some KSP2 at the event, so I think we should discuss!

Take-Two does currently have two unannounced games in development so it could very well be those, but I can still see them dropping some news or maybe a new trailer, just to keep hype and interest up while they're in development.

What do you think? Will there be anything KSP2 related at E3, and if so what might they show? Could it be related to the "Something more" mystery? Or is this all just conjuncture? Who knows, but its fun to discuss!

Edited by JustDark

With release planned for ~1 year from now, I would be surprised if T2 doesn't at least mention the game, but at the same time, I wouldn't hold my breath for any new info. Even if there is a new trailer, I would expect it to mostly contain things we've already seen in some form or another. Might be new footage, and I wouldn't say no to that - I just don't think we'll learn anything new.

That said, I'm basing this on a pattern of games with more traditional following, where publishers try to time the hype just right, so that it builds to crescendo in time for pre-orders to become available. T2/PD might very well decide that a different marketing approach is a better fit for KSP2.

2 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Maybe we’ll get a release date. 
They probably won’t do that until a few months before though. 

Probably, I wouldn't see them doing it until like a month, they got close to first intended release early on then you know what happened

6 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Probably, I wouldn't see them doing it until like a month, they got close to first intended release early on then you know what happened

We will probably get a hint of which quarter they're targeting a little sooner from the info they publish to shareholders, which by law has to be made public, as T2 is publicly traded. But yeah, I wouldn't expect an actual date until a couple of months before intended release.

16 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I would say probably not, KSP 2 is already revealing things every other Friday.

But this is mostly to us, the more hardcore fans that frequent the forums. Even if it's nothing new to us they need to market towards the rest of the gaming community and develop appeal. After announcement it became one of the most wishlisted games on steam, I don't think they want to let that opportunity die out and would like to create more hype outside the current fanbase community. Not to mention, if they plan on releasing around spring next year (it's a possibility) then it will be released before the next E3 so this may be their last chance to make a big splash at a gaming convention of this size.

If they make a presence I think we'll see a trailer in similar cinematic presence to that of announcement seeing as the game has gone long past the first deadline.

8 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

But this is mostly to us, the more hardcore fans that frequent the forums. Even if it's nothing new to us they need to market towards the rest of the gaming community and develop appeal. After announcement it became one of the most wishlisted games on steam, I don't think they want to let that opportunity die out and would like to create more hype outside the current fanbase community. Not to mention, if they plan on releasing around spring next year (it's a possibility) then it will be released before the next E3 so this may be their last chance to make a big splash at a gaming convention of this size.

If they make a presence I think we'll see a trailer in similar cinematic presence to that of announcement seeing as the game has gone long past the first deadline.

I think it's most appropriate to do something like that when they are more ready for release

57 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I think it's most appropriate to do something like that when they are more ready for release

So you would pass on hyping up the game you're making, whose predecessor so far has attracted a fairly niche audience, at the largest gaming expo even though you may be releasing before the next E3 happens? Even though the game you are making is supposedly going to be more accessible and attractive to a much broader audience without losing the complex gameplay that made the game so appealing?

If you say so...

2 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

So you would pass on hyping up the game you're making, whose predecessor so far has attracted a fairly niche audience, at the largest gaming expo even though you may be releasing before the next E3 happens? Even though the game you are making is supposedly going to be more accessible and attractive to a much broader audience without losing the complex gameplay that made the game so appealing?

If you say so...

well is hyping really the most appropriate thing to do at this stage? We don't know when KSP 2 will release, it might be before next E3, I wouldn't count on it. If KSP 2 get's delayed again what was all that hype for. I get that it would be cool and hype people but is it really that time yet? I think KSP 2 is already well known, it's like fourth most wanted on Steam Wishlist. It got really hyped up already without E3. I mean, let's remember what happened to Cyberpunk 2077. 

It depends on how far KSP 2 has developed, if it's 70% complete and there wasn't long delays, I would say sure. But with KSP2's development history, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed to 2023.  I've seen many games that I really want get shown at expos and get delayed by a lot. It hurts to see especially with all that hype. Why should KSP 2 focus on another trailer and market hype and not instead focus on getting the game done and then releasing trailers when it's ready to show

1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I mean ES6 was teased a few years ago and they’ve barely started development. 

I know it’s a different company but it’s also a business and more advertising and exposure = more new players which creates more money. 

29 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I know it’s a different company but it’s also a business and more advertising and exposure = more new players which creates more money. 

I don't think they shouldn't worry too much on advertising at this stage, more advertising is ok when it's more complete for releasing.

38 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Bethesda always hypes their games, but they do it with a plan. Little teasers years beforehand, an info dump here and there to keep the fire stoked, then a ad blitz as release approaches.

They have the benefit of mass market appeal, and a loyal fan base (less so post FO4 and 76). So it's a model that works for them, and we'll.

KSP2 has been delayed twice, is a niche product that even with COD levels of advertising and product placement would never achieve a mass market appeal. 

I have significant doubt a similar model would have success with KSP2.

49 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Big part of it was hyping up Beth and Zeni, though, and we now know that they were already looking to sell. (Which, a lot of people actually guessed, in part, because of the TES6 teaser.)

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Yes.

Because hype is not an inexhaustible resource. You hype up the game now. Everyone is at a frenzy. Then... nothing happens. For months. Based on the hype generated there are expectations that the game will be published early 2022, but unfortunately development has hit some snags. Now you're publishing at the end of the summer of 2022. "Take 2 postpones KSP2 AGAIN," "Game to take players where no one has gone before goes nowhere," those kind of headlines in the gaming press. Hype works both ways and you don't want the spotlights on your game if things don't go well.

Keeping interest alive with a modest press release? Yes. Creating lots of hype when there's nearly a year of things to go wrong left? No.

23 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Keeping interest alive with a modest press release? Yes. Creating lots of hype when there's nearly a year of things to go wrong left? No.

This is why if KSP2 is there at all I don't expect much, maybe a tease or a trailer if we're lucky

15 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

well is hyping really the most appropriate thing to do at this stage? We don't know when KSP 2 will release, it might be before next E3, I wouldn't count on it. If KSP 2 get's delayed again what was all that hype for. I get that it would be cool and hype people but is it really that time yet? I think KSP 2 is already well known, it's like fourth most wanted on Steam Wishlist. It got really hyped up already without E3. I mean, let's remember what happened to Cyberpunk 2077. 

Cyberpunk was teased 10 years before release and the Mantis they displayed in the teaser was probably the only asset they had at the time, another story altogether.

I don't expect an actual presentation, but maybe some shots during a general teaser video for "upcoming Private Division games" or maybe, if we're lucky, a new trailer at the event with some new bit of info outside of it here on the forums and on the social pages.

I think they need some event to make the audience of interested people not reached by KSP1 content understand that the game wasn't cancelled, since that was the pitch some wannabe reporters (especially the popular YT ones) used when telling the mess with Star Theory. I lost count of how many "but wait didn't Take 2 cancel this game?" I see whenever one of the Show and Tell escapes KSP forums or subreddit.

5 hours ago, Master39 said:

I don't expect an actual presentation, but maybe some shots during a general teaser video for "upcoming Private Division games" or maybe, if we're lucky, a new trailer at the event with some new bit of info outside of it here on the forums and on the social pages.

I think they need some event to make the audience of interested people not reached by KSP1 content understand that the game wasn't cancelled, since that was the pitch some wannabe reporters (especially the popular YT ones) used when telling the mess with Star Theory

That might be more realistic 

11 hours ago, Master39 said:

I think that would be the best case scenario, with the development position of KSP 2

On 6/5/2021 at 3:55 PM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

KSP2 has been delayed twice, is a niche product that even with COD levels of advertising and product placement would never achieve a mass market appeal. 

I think with some TLC and really solid game mechanics KSP2 could be a big game. I mean who would have thought Minecraft or Stardew would be as big as they are. Stardew especially of course has charm but also lives on incredibly well designed fundamental mechanics that remain fun straight through the progression. KSP1 is much more interesting, but the basic gameplay in career mode really holds it back. I mean it works if you're already really into the rocketry but its pretty clunky and directionless. I think if Intercept was able to smooth out the learning curve and develop rock solid resource, exploration, and colony mechanics they could have an incredibly successful game on their hands. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

Thing is, the gamers' reaction at ksp2 reveal wasn't something... Very loud. There was some applause, sure, but um.. can't compare it to well known franchises.

it's still very much a niche game, not for everyone, but with large community. Same as, say, Euro truck simulator.

@The Aziz I've never actually looked up the copies sold on some of these. I just googled them so numbers may be off.

KSP1: 2 million (2017, I haven't seen more recent numbers)
Euro Truck Simulator: 9 million (2021)
Cities: Skylines: 6 million (2019)
Anno 1800: 1 million (2020)
Stardew Valley: 10 million (2020)
Frostpunk: 3 million (2021)
Subnautica: 5 million (2020)
Microsoft Flight Simulator: 1 million (2020)

And for comparison:
GTA 5: 150 million 
Cyberpunk 2077: 13 million
Fallout 4: 13 million 
Witcher 3: 30 million
Animal Crossing: 30 million
COD Modern Warfare: 30 Million
PUBG: 70 million
Minecraft: 200 million

And sure, you're not gonna get the FPS crowd to hoot and holler at a preview but I think there's a real chance to pull together the simulator people, the city builder people, and the minecraft crowd. The fundamentals of lego rockets and real physics are all there, its just packaging it with great resource dynamics and a better progression layout so players keep pushing and building and don't just fool around in sandbox until they get frustrated or bored.

Edited by Pthigrivi

7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I can understand the reaction, I won't be busting open bottles of champagne over Eurotruck.

As one shouldn't. Don't drink and drive!

I do think that T2 is hoping to sell significantly more copies of KSP2 than KSP did, using both existing fanbase and expanding out by making game more accessible to new players. So I think there will be a good amount of media hype. But it's just too early. I don't think KSP2 will come out before next E3, and that's probably when they'll be out in force.