[1.12] Strange New Worlds | A New High-Quality Star System To Explore!

Zaffre

It has been brought to my attention, courtesy of @DasSkelett, that the file is massively inflated due to the existence of a .git folder. That is not supposed to be in there, and is only there because it is hidden by default on UNIX-based platforms such as mac, which is what I run.

So I apologize for the unreasonable size. With the next update I'll see to knocking that out. I do not know when that will be. In the meantime, if you do see a .git folder you will lose nothing by deleting it.

4 hours ago, Souptime said:

question: are there any plans for planets around the other stars? i think that would be cool

At some point in the more distant future. I am burnt out for the most part and need some time off to play or work on something else before a major content update comes. I did have plans for objects around Porthos and Athos, but the plans were not concrete or interesting enough to satisfy my tastes. The Aramis system was also a greater priority.

Rest assured that in the future, outside of fixes and optimizations, I will return for a content update. There are some self-perceived holes in the Aramis system I'd like to fill as well as confronting the void that is Porthos and Athos.

59 minutes ago, Zaffre said:

At some point in the more distant future. I am burnt out for the most part and need some time off to play or work on something else before a major content update comes. I did have plans for objects around Porthos and Athos, but the plans were not concrete or interesting enough to satisfy my tastes. The Aramis system was also a greater priority.

Rest assured that in the future, outside of fixes and optimizations, I will return for a content update. There are some self-perceived holes in the Aramis system I'd like to fill as well as confronting the void that is Porthos and Athos.

ah ok

i could do some promo art too, it seems that most of the forumers like my style

Crossed 1k downloads on Spacedock! Yahoo. ...Again, I am sorry for the massively inflated file. I do not know when that will be fixed, but when it is I intend on also optimizing the texture files.

• 2 weeks later...

so I was scanning Arkhalo with the normal SCANSat parts... I notice that anything that requires surface to be in sunlight cannot scan anything in the northern hemisphere of the planet.. this is odd behavior; I've scanned a lot of planets this way and I haven't seen this happen.  Any of the instrumentation that doesn't care like altimetry and biome, gets me the whole planet.. anything that does require light such as visual and resources, entire northern hemisphere is unscannable.  This was at a 90 degree inclination 502km orbit, which was well within the 'ideal' range for the instruments in question... any ideas?  Haven't tried scanning anything else from this planet pack yet...

On 7/6/2021 at 4:46 PM, ss8913 said:

so I was scanning Arkhalo with the normal SCANSat parts... I notice that anything that requires surface to be in sunlight cannot scan anything in the northern hemisphere of the planet.. this is odd behavior; I've scanned a lot of planets this way and I haven't seen this happen.  Any of the instrumentation that doesn't care like altimetry and biome, gets me the whole planet.. anything that does require light such as visual and resources, entire northern hemisphere is unscannable.  This was at a 90 degree inclination 502km orbit, which was well within the 'ideal' range for the instruments in question... any ideas?  Haven't tried scanning anything else from this planet pack yet...

From the sounds of it, the parts are locking onto the sun instead of the Aramis. That's not something I can deal with; that would be up to Kopernicus and SCANsat to handle.

21 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Has this been updated for 1.12 yet? Cause I want to try it out. :)

Any pack that works on 1.11 or so should work just fine on 1.12. Updating is largely on Kopernicus' shoulders. You should be alright.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Basesixty said:

Where Can I find the buffed isp patch for Far Future Technologies? 

You'll have to ask @Spaceman.Spiff. I do not remember if there's a location for it, and if there is, where. It may be worth checking the FFT thread. If that fails, you can always go directly into the configs and bump up the ISP yourself.

Whoa, this mod looks cool! Despite the large number of celestial bodies, each of them looks super unique and beautiful. In my opinion, the quality appears to be on par with Beyond Home. And did I see that there are CAVES? Are they just large surface scatters, or...?

Anyway, congratulations on release!:happy:

On 7/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, wpetula said:

Whoa, this mod looks cool! Despite the large number of celestial bodies, each of them looks super unique and beautiful. In my opinion, the quality appears to be on par with Beyond Home. And did I see that there are CAVES? Are they just large surface scatters, or...?

Anyway, congratulations on release!:happy:

Thank you so much! There are some limitations that KSP has but I've made due... ;)

On 7/19/2021 at 6:04 PM, Celuta said:

This stuff too HD for my PC to handle.  Any way to lower the resolution so i can land on planets without dropping to 2 fps

You can try cranking down your settings. Also due to a goof there's a .git folder in there. Kill that. In the future I may look at converting the image files into something that can load quicker.

20 hours ago, Cyrus Playz said:

I've entered on of them caves and I won't spoil it but its not what you think.....

Hehehe. ;)

As for a general update: My semester will be ending soon-ish, so hopefully that results in free time. I have been spending time away not just on break, but to work on college as well as some very much needed therapy and more. So I may have a fix out in August.

One of the interesting things about this star system is that it isn't in the ecliptic plane of the Kerbol system, it's *above it*... functionally this means that you'll always have a clear FTL shot from Kerbin, since nothing will be in the way.  It also means that you'll generally enter a planet's gravity well with a high (near 90 degree) orbital inclination, which works great for scanning with SCANsat, not as good for landing, although if you have FTL travel, you probably have fusion drives with hundreds of thousands of m/s of delta-V on board and can do a plane change without issue :) ... unfortunately for scansat though, and this seems to be a Kopernicus and/or SCANSat issue (see my other post above), positioning the star system in this way means that SCANSat will always see the northern hemisphere of any planet as "in darkness" since it will always be shaded by the light *from Kerbol* - looks like at least right now, either Kopernicus or SCANSat can't take other light-emitting celestial bodies into account :(

Final note - I'm not sure which mod I have that's causing this, but if you land on one of these planets and think, "Hey I was promised tree canopies" (ie, Arkhalo) and don't see any.. F5/F9 to re-initialize things, and then you will.  This happens to me with the terrain scatters on literally every planet/moon (including Kerbin) and as I said, not sure which of my several visual mods is responsible for this behavior, but I figured others might have run into it as well?

Note: always take pictures even if your ship is uncontrollably burning retrograde in an alien star system,

screenshot314.png

I also landed these two modules on Maximin in anticipation of a Mining Colony.

screenshot306.png

I really enjoy playing KSP with this mod and I think it brings a lot of new concepts to the table, hopefully in KSP 2 there will be similar mods.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:23 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Got suggested this, will check out

Enjoy!

On 7/21/2021 at 3:50 PM, ss8913 said:

One of the interesting things about this star system is that it isn't in the ecliptic plane of the Kerbol system, it's *above it*... functionally this means that you'll always have a clear FTL shot from Kerbin, since nothing will be in the way.  It also means that you'll generally enter a planet's gravity well with a high (near 90 degree) orbital inclination, which works great for scanning with SCANsat, not as good for landing, although if you have FTL travel, you probably have fusion drives with hundreds of thousands of m/s of delta-V on board and can do a plane change without issue :) ... unfortunately for scansat though, and this seems to be a Kopernicus and/or SCANSat issue (see my other post above), positioning the star system in this way means that SCANSat will always see the northern hemisphere of any planet as "in darkness" since it will always be shaded by the light *from Kerbol* - looks like at least right now, either Kopernicus or SCANSat can't take other light-emitting celestial bodies into account :(

Final note - I'm not sure which mod I have that's causing this, but if you land on one of these planets and think, "Hey I was promised tree canopies" (ie, Arkhalo) and don't see any.. F5/F9 to re-initialize things, and then you will.  This happens to me with the terrain scatters on literally every planet/moon (including Kerbin) and as I said, not sure which of my several visual mods is responsible for this behavior, but I figured others might have run into it as well?

Yup! It's certainly a different take and I was not sure how that would be recieved. Typically with other star systems you're within a few degrees of the ecliptic (relatively anyway) and gravity assists can be used to slow down. That is not the case in here. Unless you use wormholes of course.

Hm... Do you have your scatters set to 100%? I'm not familiar with a visual mod doing that. It could be the new Kopernicus, though I have not been keeping up with the specific new versions and what their issues are. I don't think it should be the cause but it's possible.

14 hours ago, KoreRat said:

Note: always take pictures even if your ship is uncontrollably burning retrograde in an alien star system,

I also landed these two modules on Maximin in anticipation of a Mining Colony.

I really enjoy playing KSP with this mod and I think it brings a lot of new concepts to the table, hopefully in KSP 2 there will be similar mods.

:D Nice shots! When KSP2 comes around, it's hard to say if/when I'll be able to port SNW over, as right now I run on a mac and unless something changes, KSP2 will not support mac at least on launch. I hope that changes.

15 minutes ago, DaBakonAder said:

What is “deepwater gate” from the delta v map?

Deepwater Gate and Baldur's Gate are both wormholes that appear if you have the Kopernicus Expansion module installed. It is optional and not a dependency.