[1.12] Strange New Worlds | A New High-Quality Star System To Explore!

Zaffre

DcFKSOy.png

unknown.png

Overview
After over 2 years of improving and learning, hopefully it is worth the wait to those who watched along the way. I started this project as an innocent curiosity, then a personal project that meant something to me. I wanted to set this one apart from the majority of planet mods. I wanted this to be good; as good as I could make it, and did the best I could with my lil' Macbook; with TextEdit and GIMP. I’ll see to even better as updates come. I hope you all enjoy what I have to share!

This pack adds a whole new high-quality star system, Polaris, for you to explore, situated directly above the home system at 4.3 kerbal light years! The system is based on Polaris, but also has inspiration from WASP-12, Mu Arae, and our own Sol. It primarily adds giant planets and their satellites, with more to come in the future.

The objects feature various scatters on their surfaces, so they’re not so barren! No pre-1.8 terrain shader either. For those with lower end computers, don’t worry! You won’t need visual mods to see wonderful worlds. I’ve designed it partly with no visuals in mind, but it’ll look even better with them!

If Kopernicus Expansion is installed, wormholes will appear that can take you to and fro!

SCIENCE NOTE: This is not a fully realistic recreation of the real Polaris System. The real system is quite young, has no detected planets so far, and the outermost star is an F-type, not an Alpha Centauri A analogue.

Sorry Star Trek fans! This isn’t a Trek-themed pack.

Celestial body list

Spoiler

Are you sure you want to spoil it? ;)

Spoiler

Alright, here we go!

Porthos - The main star
    Athos - The secondary star, Porthos’ close companion
    Aramis - The third and outermost star, containing multiple planets
        Pandemonium - A colossal prolate world being torn and blasted by Aramis
        Aeneas - A green super kerbin, the only terrestrial planet in the system (for now) and it spins rapidly!
        Usir - A blue turbulent gas giant surrounded by colossal rings that sits in the habitable zone!
            Maxmin - An iron minmus (or Ike?), it is a survivor of Usir’s wrath
            Flint - A two-faced grey moon, one volcanic, the other cratered
            Denali - A chilly moon with an atmosphere and water showing through its shell of ice and snow
            Oceanus - A world of water all throughout. Don’t be fooled by its clouds!
                Cassini - A submoon of Oceanus, this asteroid moon is stretched harshly on an axis, and has spongy craters like Hyperion
        Poseidon - A more vibrant blue stormy gas giant in the outer part of the habitable zone, around Mars/Duna insolation
            Vetinghier - A cratered volcanic hellscape with wondrous aurorae
            Arkhalo - A lush alien world. Go see its canopies!
            Hreveldor - Arkhalo’s chillier cousin. It doesn’t have the same canopies, but still offers nice views!
            Kisa - A calm, quiet moon free of commotion. It’s like a wet Duna/Mars!
        Gyro - A brilliant red gas giant with two halves
            Kawah - This moldy cheeseball of a moon has blue lava!
            Boreal - A Europa/Vall-like world with distant hints of an atmosphere
            Selena - A dead Mun-Like world with vast maria
        Mephitis - The primary lord of stench, an ice giant with equal mass of Jupiter in scale
            Anomal - A strange asteroid moon that sits within Mephitis’ rings. There is something very unusual about it…
        Malodor - The secondary lord of everything stinky, an ice giant a quarter of the mass of its companion but ever so slightly larger in size! A vibrant blue covers this giant which is the second ringless giant planet in the Polaris system
            Russet - A larger space spud, it orbits close to Malodor and is pockmarked by craters
            Avernus - Orbiting the binary in a distant retrograde orbit, this world has CAVES!

Delta-V map courtesy of @WarriorSabe!

Spoiler

unknown.png

Gallery
Thanks to @Clonosand @ballisticfox0for taking these wonderful pictures!

Spoiler

screenshot86.png
screenshot100.png

screenshot89.png

unknown.png

screenshot104.png

unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

Required mods
--Being a mod that adds celestial bodies, it requires Kopernicus and its own prerequisites.

Recommended/Optional mods
--Arthur's TiltUnlocker will make Gyro sit on its side! Beware: You may run into some bugs with this. One such is its misbehavior with scatterer.

--If you want to take a way of getting there that's less of a hassle, try wormholes with Kopernicus Expansion Continued-er!
So far I have the stock system (and by extension JNSQ), Beyond Home, Whirligig World, GPP, Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered, and GEP primary.

--If you want to get there the old fashioned way, I recommend Blueshift, KSPIE, or Far Future Technologies with Calvin's buffed ISP patch. Oh, and Better Timewarp for your convenience. :P

--If you want a nice home that meshes well with this system, try Beyond Home. If you want to give the lone Polaris system some friends, you cannot go wrong with Extrasolar and Galaxies Unbound.

Regarding errors
If you encounter a problem, provide a snapshot of your GameData and your logs. I can't help you if I don't know what is wrong! See this thread on how:

Mod Support
EVE
—Scatterer
—Sigma loading screens
—DOE
—Research Bodies
—Sigma Dimensions
—Most planet mods. Being a mod that adds a whole separate star system, it does not intrude upon any system replacers, system accessories, or other system adders.

Download
Github
Spacedock
Being a first mod and first release of said mod, there might be issues. So just report them and bear with me. :blush:

FAQ
-Is there a way to make the system closer?
Yes! There is an optional patch I've included to make the distance 10 times closer than normal

-I switched back to the KSC and everything looks all glitchy! What can I do!?
The KSC will appear all wonky and glitchy if you switch back to it from a long distance. A simple scene change, like going into the VAB and then back, will fix it!

-Is this a system replacer? What's the homeworld?
This is not a system replacer, but instead a system adder. There are rough plans for a homeswitch in the distant future.

Discord
It is not my home server, but you can contact me and say hello on the Kopernicus Discord server!
https://discord.gg/XmVp23s

Changelog

Spoiler

Release

-Aeneas' clouds and scatterer updated
-Wormhole patch error fix
-Added more system replacer compatibility for wormholes; specifically Edge of Eternity and After Kerbin
-Denali should have scatterer oceans now
-Research bodies support!
-Option for making the system 10 times closer
-Vetinghier's lava is less jarring

-Aeneas should lag no more! Adjusted PQS settings, template, fog, and LandControl.
-Fixed bracket issue on Selena
-Oceanus fades fixed
-Adjusted some scatter placement on Arkhalo
-Fixed Wormholes; they should actually work now
-AFG color and ambient atmosphere colors of gas and ice giants fixed and adjusted
-Fixed minor PQS goof on Denali

-Updated for use in 1.12!
-Changed EVE auroras
-Modified EVE clouds of some bodies
-Oceanus and Aeneas have new looks!
-Oceanus EVE config added
-Hreveldor now has unique scatters!
-NEW AND SUPERIOR SUN FLARES! Thanks to Caps Lock.
-PLANET FLARES WITHOUT DOE! Requires scatterer.
-Files converted to .dds! Should perform a little better.
-HOMESWITCH ADDED! You will start on Kisa.
-SNW worlds appear on the main menu now! Finally. Felt weird without them.
-Tweaked some rings
-A whole plethora of fixes and tweaks!
-New settings file
-Planetshine compatibility
-Researchbodies compatibility
-Sigma dimensions
-Distant object enhancement
-Sigma loading screens stuff!
-Added Chinese translation
-Probably some other things I've forgotten about

Credits
@Exo's Lab    -    For being an all around wonderful person and very supportive of my endeavor. Seriously, thanks a ton.
@WarriorSabe - For extra support, remembering lotsa useful things, being a major science wiz, and dropping in logical input. Also thanks for new planet flares!
@GregroxMun   -    For his amazing star tutorial and making me feel at home in the planet modding community shortly after I joined.
@Adstri    -    For inspiration, support, and camaraderie.
@SnailsAttack   -    Supplied useful references and resources in the creation of this mod. Also gave a few pointers.
@TheGhastModding    -    Helped create Oceanus' initial texture.
@OhioBob    -    For being an all around great guy, providing documentation, and helping out with temperatures/atmospheres.
@StarCrusher96   -    For occasional pointers, interest, support, and being one of my sources of inspiration!
@Caps Lock    -    He was kind enough to provide me the new sunflares!
@wby123 -    Supplied the Chinese translation!

@Clonos - Great support, nice shots, and hunting bugs!
@ballisticfox0 - For taking great shots and helping find problems for me to iron out!

@R-T-B    -    For keeping Kopernicus alive and keeping the line of communication open!
@Vabien - For keeping Kopernicus Expansion alive!
@Snark - For answering questions about the forum!
@Arekva- For making the glorious TiltUnlocker mod!

License
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Public License
by-nc-nd.png

If for some reason this has become dead or I've gone inactive/left or whatever, go ahead and remind me to look at

P.S. I'm a sucker for big ol' spaceships! So send pics of your starships! Not spacex starships, ew. I require true starships!

Edited by Zaffre

WHOOPS! It would help if I actually put the release file in the GitHub release! :confused: Sorry for the inconvenience! It should be fixed in a few minutes... Oh gosh I knew something bad would happen :blush:

you've finally did it, congratulations! from the quality of the planet pack to your own will to push through obstacles and finish this mod after so long, i'm not sure which one to be more impressed by. 

Hey, congrats on the release!

Looks like MM is mad about the Wormhole re-homing config, though

[WRN 13:47:16.573] more than one :NEEDS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: StrangeNewWorlds/KopernicusConfigs/Wormhole re-homing/@Kopernicus:AFTER[StrangeNewWorlds]:NEEDS[KopernicusExpansion]:NEEDS[BeyondHome]
[WRN 13:47:16.574] more than one :NEEDS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: StrangeNewWorlds/KopernicusConfigs/Wormhole re-homing/@Kopernicus:AFTER[StrangeNewWorlds]:NEEDS[KopernicusExpansion]:NEEDS[WhirligigWorld]
[WRN 13:47:16.574] more than one :NEEDS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: StrangeNewWorlds/KopernicusConfigs/Wormhole re-homing/@Kopernicus:AFTER[StrangeNewWorlds]:NEEDS[KopernicusExpansion]:NEEDS[GPP]
[WRN 13:47:16.574] more than one :NEEDS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: StrangeNewWorlds/KopernicusConfigs/Wormhole re-homing/@Kopernicus:AFTER[StrangeNewWorlds]:NEEDS[KopernicusExpansion]:NEEDS[AlternisKerbolRekerjiggered]
[WRN 13:47:16.574] more than one :NEEDS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: StrangeNewWorlds/KopernicusConfigs/Wormhole re-homing/@Kopernicus:AFTER[StrangeNewWorlds]:NEEDS[KopernicusExpansion]:NEEDS[GEP_Primary]

7 minutes ago, BlooSkies said:

Hey, congrats on the release!

Looks like MM is mad about the Wormhole re-homing config, though

[WRN 13:47:16.573] more than one :NEEDS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: StrangeNewWorlds/KopernicusConfigs/Wormhole re-homing/@Kopernicus:AFTER[StrangeNewWorlds]:NEEDS[KopernicusExpansion]:NEEDS[BeyondHome]
[WRN 13:47:16.574] more than one :NEEDS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: StrangeNewWorlds/KopernicusConfigs/Wormhole re-homing/@Kopernicus:AFTER[StrangeNewWorlds]:NEEDS[KopernicusExpansion]:NEEDS[WhirligigWorld]
[WRN 13:47:16.574] more than one :NEEDS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: StrangeNewWorlds/KopernicusConfigs/Wormhole re-homing/@Kopernicus:AFTER[StrangeNewWorlds]:NEEDS[KopernicusExpansion]:NEEDS[GPP]
[WRN 13:47:16.574] more than one :NEEDS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: StrangeNewWorlds/KopernicusConfigs/Wormhole re-homing/@Kopernicus:AFTER[StrangeNewWorlds]:NEEDS[KopernicusExpansion]:NEEDS[AlternisKerbolRekerjiggered]
[WRN 13:47:16.574] more than one :NEEDS tag detected, ignoring all but the first: StrangeNewWorlds/KopernicusConfigs/Wormhole re-homing/@Kopernicus:AFTER[StrangeNewWorlds]:NEEDS[KopernicusExpansion]:NEEDS[GEP_Primary]

Thanks!

I will be remedying this soon with small update. I found the issue and it was a small error on my part but I've found the fix.

Finally got a small update for some fixes out. I came down with an illness late last night so I've not been feeling it. But... I am looking at uploading this mod to Spacedock. Once Spacedock stops being a party pooper of course. I've also gone ahead and added a spot for questions on the main post.

UPDATE: 0.1.1
-Aeneas' clouds and scatterer updated
-Wormhole patch error fix
-Added more system replacer compatibility for wormholes; specifically Edge of Eternity and After Kerbin
-Denali should have scatterer oceans now
-Research bodies support!
-Option for making the system 10 times closer
-Vetinghier's lava is less jarring

With that I am done for a little while. Illness is not helping me there.

Edited by Zaffre

On 6/6/2021 at 10:21 PM, Zaffre said:

4.3 kerbal light years!

What is a kerbal light year? Is it just a different name for a light year?

1 minute ago, Zaffre said:

Option for making the system 10 times closer

So this would be 0.43 light years?

Also I do hope you get the Spacedock issues ironed out. Once it's on Spacedock, It's an easy road to CKAN!!!

:D:D:D

Just now, Spaceman.Spiff said:

What is a kerbal light year? Is it just a different name for a light year?

So this would be 0.43 light years?

Also I do hope you get the Spacedock issues ironed out. Once it's on Spacedock, It's an easy road to CKAN!!!

Distances and objects in KSP are scaled down to 1/10th real scale, and I wanted to give an idea of the rough distance to it. Having it at real light-year distances would be monstrous.

Roughly, yes. However the balancing that other extrasolar system mods have stuck with has systems at 1/100th real scale distance as opposed to 1/10th, so I went ahead and added a lil patch to bring it in line with others.

I do too, but I don't feel so bad knowing I'm far from the only person that has had this issue. SpaceDock has a bit of a reputation for being finicky with file uploads afaik. That, and their downloads speeds are horrendous. To be frank, having never used it I'm not entirely sure what CKAN's deal is other than that it can break mods via improper or funky installation.

Thanks to WarriorSabe there is now a ∆v map!

6 hours ago, Cyrus Playz said:

Don't know why, but your planets really remind me of Gameslinx's planets

Whoa, hello. Didn't expect to see ya.

I suppose they're both similar in that pieces of real terrain were used in the creation of the terrestrial worlds. I also went and used shots from wood, rocks, and other mundane things. There's also the extra emphasis on scatters at least in terms of Beyond Home, which is one reason why of the system replacers to pair it with I'd probably recommend that one, as stylistically they fit together decently, albeit we still have our own styles and preferences.