Im Normal and This is My Statement

Hiatsu2k8

I'm looking forwards to doing the maths required for my first Eve transfer (I have a ship capable of making it) but I can understand people who don't want to learn a whole ream of maths.

You don't need math to get to Eve either, or Moho, some of you LIKE to do it, but it's far from being required, nor do you need plugins or charts or protractors, or having your hand held.

You don't need math to get to Eve either, or Moho, some of you LIKE to do it, but it's far from being required, nor do you need plugins or charts or protractors, or having your hand held.

We already get indicators of potential capture, and a nice orbit indicator stock in the game. if you know how to burn and change your orbit With that and enough fuel you can do almost anything you want by eyeball..

I just use a mod and the Olex calculator so I don't waste fuel and possibly have extra. Like last night I went to map Duna, but managed to map Duna AND Ike.

Maths? Trigonometry? Calculators? What is this rocket science or something? :P

But seriously.. I've not used those.. I just point my rocket in the direction I think will get me into orbit, its a little hit and miss but so far I've gotten to all planets and moons at least once, some two or three times

Listen, ever since .17 came out people have been talking about calculators, and ejection, insertion points, and all kinds of angles and blah blah blah! I'm so tired of hearing all the technical stuff. I have an 11 month old daughter and a wife, that I already worry about insertion with, and I have no time to write scripts or deal with calculus, trigonometry, angles, ejection, PLANETARY insertion points, etc.... PLEASE PEOPLE, there has got to be a better way. I challenge all you geniuses, rocket scientists, NASA employees, programmers, GOD, and especially the developers themselves to help all us normal people!!!

Try to remember, KSP is still in the alpha stage. I think the devs intend to implement an autopilot at some point, but they have other priorities in actually building up the game. In the mean time, you'll just have to wait for mechjeb to implement interplanetary (you haven't lost anything you had before so it shouldn't be that hard).

Unfortunately, physics is math. The language of the real world is math, and that's true of any game that attempts to implement consistent physics as part of gameplay. It's the reason I'll never be a physicist.

I would really like to see some youtube videos of someone going to every planet/moon with stock gear. Full video, no editing, that shows the ship launching and getting there in one try, landing and all.

That would be some boring video, I have to ask though, why do seem to believe it to be so difficult?, it's really easy with the Nerva.

For getting to Jool/Duna, I really only look at the planetary phase angle. For the Ejection angle, I just get into a 100km orbit around kerbin and start burning at sunset. This works out to giving you a ejection angle of 149 degrees, which has been plenty close enough for me

0.0 why didnt I think of just doing that. I always do the pain in the arse map referencing to get my ejection burn timed. Just looking at sun is much easier...

That would be some boring video, I have to ask though, why do seem to believe it to be so difficult?, it's really easy with the Nerva.

Wouldn't be that easy. Those nervas are heavy and to have to land and launch them from each planet would be a bit of a challenge. Of course, if you mean just orbit, that isn't too bad. I already got a rocket that could transfer around the planets provided I don't want to land. Now to land on all bodies in one trip... definitely would be doing eve last.

Edited by Markus Reese

I'm mostly guessing when performing interplanetary travel (and sometimes very very simple math). So far in 0.17 I've reached the Mun, Minmus, Duna and Eve. I find Duna easiest to 'hit', although its SOI is pretty small, Eve has a orbit with inclination ... ! I haven't done return trips to celestial objects outside the Kerbin System yet due to poor rocket design.

I fly seat of pants style, after getting 0.17 it took me hours and hours to make rockets that didnt fall apart and then learn how to hit the planet SOIs judging by eye. I can understand someone getting frustrated with all the preparation and R&D you have to do to get a mission to work but on the other hand when I did get Jool intercept finally I was cheering for five minutes solid! :D

I found some cool protractor tool that you can use with KSP. It's not a mod but a separate Windows application, it's free and the only requirement to make it work is to run KSP in windowed mode.

You can get it here: http://www.markus-bader.de/MB-Ruler/download.htm

And that's how it looks (it's customizable and you can measure other dimensions too):

Guest themakut

Lolwat.

It's ridiculously easy to get to any planet/moon without using maths. You can just eyeball it.

If you can't do it, you just need more practice with orbital maneuvering. Don't stress, you'll get it eventually.

I got to Duna and back successfully on my first try, because I practiced in 0.16. (I put a ship in orbit around the sun at 20 million kilometers and used it as a target. Turns out Duna was almost exactly where I put my target ship, which was a stroke of good luck.)

So yeah, just practice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.