KSP Loading...: Getting ready to celebrate!

UomoCapra

ZK2lEpWzPf1gFkhzGp0vshX8jhz97K7dnhviztGR

Welcome to our official newsletter, KSP Loading…! If you want to learn about all the current developments of the KSP franchise, then this is the place to be!

And now, let’s talk about everything KSP!

Kerbal Space Program Final Update on PC

On June 24th, 2011, Kerbal Space Program 0.7.3 was publicly released. Back then the game looked very different with a very limited parts catalogue, no celestial objects except Kerbin which would not rotate, and not even a proper Sun, just a light source at an infinite distance. No one ever expected that this modest game, created by a small studio in Mexico City with no experience in videogames, would turn into a worldwide phenomenon that brought space exploration closer to our households. Therefore it is almost unfathomable that in a couple of weeks we will be celebrating the game’s 10th anniversary. And on that day, we are releasing Kerbal Space Program 1.12: On Final Approach, our 12th major free update!

Kerbal Space Program 1.12: On Final Approach is going to be special in many ways. We are not only packing this free update with a massive amount of new content, player requests and all sorts of fixes, but it is also our thank you letter to everyone in our community who supported us along the way and made our dreams come true. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, or rather move on to the next chapter. So yes, On Final Approach is the last major planned release for Kerbal Space Program. While there may still be occasional minor updates to address bug fixes as needed, Squad’s efforts will now shift towards joining Intercept Games in the development of Kerbal Space Program 2.
F_ogH9PUJckmM_SCzULavu2fZaqgKHsbqA9oS-ml

So what can you expect on June 24th with Kerbal Space Program 1.12: On Final Approach? We’ve already shown a couple of things in our last issue of KSP Loading, and now it is time to reveal the other main changes. So buckle up!

Craft and Save Loading Improvements

On Final Approach includes a huge revamp to craft and game save loading. Search, foldering, and cross-save access are added to craft loading in the editor, and search has been added to craft loading on the launchpad/runway and to the quicksave loading dialogue. This will help you to better sort out your saved craft and games, especially if you have a ton of them. This feature will also allow you to load or save craft with different game saves. 

IPb-vONEy0mBF7LEjmLuPqOVizQQREB1Yc3BvhveI56a0ynO1cYImj4UqsWMU6G3yMC4pyDHz4SnS3K1JxcwFlrasQ8bAGd1OzZ8GguVeh22dyPK1gz6n3d4

Alarm Clock App

One of the main features in the upcoming 1.12 update is the Alarm Clock app. With this tool, you will be able to set alarms for maneuvers, manual time alarms and alarms for various orbital positions, which will certainly come in handy for those long trips that require several burns to complete. Additionally, you will also be able to pick alarm sounds to go with your alarms, cool right?

ew4Ba33_YFR0L-XbWbj394ZyqzEJGnolj-kF9fPR

Maneuver Creator App

The Maneuver Creator app is another of the main features within On Final Approach. With it, you will be able to quickly generate transfers to other celestial bodies, see upcoming transfer windows and get a good understanding of where you’re going and how much deltaV it will take to get there. This will cut down time spent fiddling with maneuver nodes and enhancing the accuracy of your space maneuvers, but you’ll need a level 3 tracking station to use it, so you’ll still need those maneuvering skills for your first visit to the Mun.

nZZ__BB3ByrKaLFM2dUheo42kefYJ7Ke-4xoXpwF

Wheel Improvements

Wheels have undergone major tuning. We have fixed previous issues with the stress tolerance and we have made some improvements to the suspension and friction model. Additionally, wheels now have a few new tweakable controls that will help reduce how easy it can be to flip rovers and other wheeled vehicles.

10th Anniversary Fireworks!

What better way to celebrate this milestone than to launch bright and colorful fireworks into the air! With this update we will be adding two firework launchers for you to attach to your vehicles - one with 8 bursts, and one with 32 bursts. These pyrotechnic devices will also be highly configurable, with different trail and burst types for you to choose from, as well as the ability to tweak the force, the duration, star size, launch velocity, explosion delay and the colors of the fireworks at any given time. Fill up those canisters and let the party begin!

New Slim Suit

A brand new sleek-looking spacesuit, inspired by the feats of the private aerospace sector will be available with the upcoming update. As with the other spacesuits available in the game, the Slim Suit will be available in three different variations: black and grey, grey and orange, as well as blue and grey.

This covers the main features coming in Kerbal Space Program 1.12: On Final Approach. But there are plenty of smaller ones coming in this update, check them out with us when it releases on the 24th!

KSP 2

Since our last KSP Loading, we also got a preliminary glimpse at the new Kerbal Space Center to be found in Kerbal Space Program 2. It surely looks gorgeous and would make Mortimer, Gene and the rest of the KSC crew proud. Check it out if you haven’t!

Remember, you can share and download craft and missions on CurseKerbalX, the KSP Forum and the KSP Steam Workshop.

That’s it for this edition. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on TwitterInstagram and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news and development updates!

Happy launchings!

Sad that this will be the last content update...

But hey, thank you so much for maintaining this awesome game for such a long time!

Also hyped for  KSP2, not gonna lie

1 minute ago, Minmus Taster said:

*See you again intensifies

Gonna miss KSP, best game Iv ever played.

Why miss it? It will still exist, just no more content updates

Aaaaa stock KAC and TWP! This all looks absolutely awesome, and a perfect way to close out what is by far my favourite game.

My only hopes are that you leave KSP as a stable base for mods to continue to build on, and that KSP2 is a worthy successor for this brilliant game/toy/educational tool. Thanks for everything you've done in this game, SQUAD!

Sad but happy... sad to see development focus ending but happy to see some great applets finally making their way into the Vanilla game that have been favourites of the modding community for many years.

All I can say is thank you, good luck and finally... make those privates public and let us all go wild! :D 

Having played since 0.8.1 this hurts me, as this is one of the first games that had gotten me into PC gaming, as well as fueled my fascination in my career in the Aeronautical industry. All good things must come to an end at some point however, and I love where this game has gone in the last 10 years. Until next time old friends

3 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Guys, KSP isn't getting discontinued, they're just not doing as many new stuff for KSP. KSP2 is the new focus.

17 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

On Final Approach is the last major planned release for Kerbal Space Program.

They'll likely not be adding any new content after 1.12, it'll just be bugfixes and optimisations.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

3 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Guys, KSP isn't getting discontinued, they're just not doing as many new stuff for KSP. KSP2 is the new focus.

KSP2 is a different dev team entirely, so the focus hasn't changed in that sense.

I actually feel bizarrely gutted by this...

It's a bit like a pet just died but not quite that sad lol.

I think knowing that its the final update is... well, until now, everything I've wanted in the game has been "maybe in the next update".

I just hope the part retextures get finished so the stock game is a little more consistent. An update focusing on space station/base usefulness would have been kinda cool too. Or even just one more DLC.

Thank you for the years and years and YEARS of updates, and for me, many many thousands of hours of fun :)  

All good things, as they say! I don't think anyone could've dreamed of this back in 2011.

Looks like KSP's really getting the best sendoff it could ask for in this final update, so many serious improvements to the game that really take things to the next level.

Wishing y'all the best as you move on to KSP2, and wherever else you may go!

Edited by Lupi

Just now, Vegatoxi said:

I warned you guys.

Many times.

RIP KSP.

The game is not 'dying' just because it's releasing its last update. Modding and the community in general will most likely continue long after the release of KSP2.

Think of it not as the ending of a game, but as the beginning of a franchise.

I am... Frankly? At a loss for words. I know that KSP's update lifetime was limited with KSP2 on the horizon. But I didn't think it'd be this early.

I had hoped that the game would go open source or something along those lines as one last goodbye. Mods will have to do for now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.