KSP Loading...: Getting ready to celebrate!

UomoCapra

Damn. I’ve had this game for 9 years. This is almost surreal.

But, I don’t exactly think this is bad. Eventually it needed to end, and while it’s not perfect there will be mods, and they’ll hopefully be able to maintain stability much easier. Plus the addition of an alarm clock and a maneuver app is awesome. Along with the rest.

I’ll finally have no excuse to restart for every new version... until KSP2 at least.

I cant wait and I know lots of people had said this but just because its the last update does not mean the game is dead just means its feature finished.  While on this topic I did open this thread...: KSP 1.12 COUNTDOWN - KSP Discussion - Kerbal Space Program Forums

On 6/18/2021 at 2:43 PM, Curveball Anders said:

Only by morons who fails to see "content upgrade".

be true

The one thing that disappoints me about the final release is no stock life support. That said, I'm very excited about the changes in 1.12, and I have to say it'll be nice not having to constantly update all my mods after a release.   :-D

3 hours ago, panarchist said:

The one thing that disappoints me about the final release is no stock life support. That said, I'm very excited about the changes in 1.12, and I have to say it'll be nice not having to constantly update all my mods after a release.   :-D

Oh man, I just realized I completely feel the same way. It was the last major game-changing thing to add once they finished fixing the souposphere, adding a stock version of remote tech, and ISRU. But now... it's up to mods for the forseable future.

Can't wait to try the stock alarms and transfer planner. Although it's sad to see it officially wrap at Squad's end, I'd expect all this means for the mod community is that we finally can just keep playing without updating as often when new versions break everything.

Then there's always KSP 2 to look forward to :)

3 hours ago, Xavven said:

Oh man, I just realized I completely feel the same way. It was the last major game-changing thing to add once they finished fixing the souposphere, adding a stock version of remote tech, and ISRU. But now... it's up to mods for the forseable future.

My dream wish list would be stock Life Support, stock Part Failure, stock Radiation Effects, and stock Delays (think Kerbal Constuction Time and Remote Tech - delays due to physics or capacity). Hopefully KSP2 will have all that and be better optimized. In the meantime, happy to use mods and happier still to have a static framework upon which the modders can build.

16 minutes ago, mistergoblin said:

Can't wait to try the stock alarms and transfer planner. Although it's sad to see it officially wrap at Squad's end, I'd expect all this means for the mod community is that we finally can just keep playing without updating as often when new versions break everything.

Then there's always KSP 2 to look forward to :)

Given that the author of both of those mods is programming officially for Squad / Private Division, I'd expect the stock versions are basically improved versions of Trigger AU's prior work.

As much as I'm hyped for the incoming update, I'm quite sad to know it will be the last one :(

I still have a hard time believing it's been so long since I launched my first rocket in the game(using the world's most efficient ascent profile: straight up at full throttle to get out of the atmosphere as soon as possible then horizontal burn until orbit is achieved) and all those times the launch tower eagerly reminded me not to abuse the aspargus staging; back then, the game was still free and, because of how the drag was calculated, nose cones increased drag instead of reducing it.

And, of course, you had to be careful not to anger the Kraken. ;)

I guess I'll just need to focus on the bright side: it will be the last time I'll have to cross my finger and hope all the mods I can't play without are still working.

So from what I've seen from the pre-release streams, there's a couple of minor things I'd still have liked to see/tweaked:

1. Fixed-rotation docking ports.  While it's very nice to be able to adjust the docking ports after docking, it would have been even nicer to say, only be able to dock in 30deg increments (ie, part of the final docking approach also forces rotation to lock in)  - this is how real docking ports work.

2. Keeping with docking ports, we _still_ don't get the missing node on shielded docking ports when they are opened in the VAB..

3. Making History Soyuz parts - Soyuz is such a HUGE part of the history of the space race I can't believe this was not included in Making History to start with; given this is the final update, I would have loved to have seen some additional parts.

4. Keeping with parts, there are still some parts which glaringly don't fit together well. Looking at the Mk1-3 and its "standard" attachments of parachute, heatshield, and decoupler. Just looks messy. Several other similar examples.

5. I'd really really love to see a 1.13 which adds stock life support.. but I guess that's not going to happen anymore.

6. The integrated Kerbal Alarm Clock is almost a copy of the existing mod. Since it's by the same author, why not just make it the same?  The "stock" UI looks nowhere near as usable..

I'm sure everybody has their own favourite wish-list of what's still missing or could be tweaked.. so given that, the Dev's job really would be infinite!

So long, and thanks for all the booms! :)

On 6/13/2021 at 11:55 PM, purpleivan said:

...[snip}

ok... so what's my point with all of this.

So far it just seems like a long brag (I've done this, been to that and made this thing), but my point is that none of this would have been possible, or even occured to me as something I would have done in a game, without a small team of developers in Mexico City. I'm telling this story of my experiences of the game and this forum, not because it's special, but because it's mine. There will be similar tales that could be told by countless other people on this forum and that really is the point.

This might sound a bit over the top, but KSP has been one of the single most influential things in my life and I'm saying that as someone in their mid 50's, a game developer for over 3 decades and with a pretty eventful life all told. As something that's earned the right to the thousands of hours I've spent playing it, spured me to spend hundreds more working on all sorts of art and writing, and spend many more conversing with others on this forum about the game, this surely has to be true.

I'm very grateful to the team at Squad, past and present and wish them the very best for the future. This isn't an easy business to make a career in, but a very satisfying one, so I wish all of you long and fulfilling ones.

I'd also like to thank that other part of the team that's made KSP what it is today, the mod makers.

Squad's choice to make the game mod friendly has paid back massively, with what must be one of the most prolific, talented and dedicated group of moders of any game. They've affected all player's experience of this game, even those who only play stock, as their work to add and improve on the stock game has influenced Squad's development of it. The obvious example being that Final Approach will add functionality (KAC and TWP) that many players relied on mods for, to add this to their gaming experience.

So to these unpaid, occasionally hassled, but key members of the team, I'd like to say a big thank you.

Finally I'd like to say that it's been a pleasure to spend so much time on this forum with other players of this game and look forward to continuing to do so, long after KSP has made it's Final Approach, parked safely in the spaceplane hanger, where Jeb, Val, Bob and Bill (and the other unsung heroes) sit, enjoy the setting sun.

Hear, hear!

Beautifully said @purpleivan. Thanks for sharing your accomplishments too :).

When we play KSP , we could be just 'playing a game'. Or we could be little creative gods, crafting what Tolkien called, 'secondary worlds'. KSP is that secondary world to me too. :)

On 6/13/2021 at 9:55 AM, purpleivan said:

So to these unpaid, occasionally hassled, but key members of the team, I'd like to say a big thank you.

Finally I'd like to say that it's been a pleasure to spend so much time on this forum with other players of this game and look forward to continuing to do so, long after KSP has made it's Final Approach, parked safely in the spaceplane hanger, where Jeb, Val, Bob and Bill (and the other unsung heroes) sit, enjoy the setting sun.

Until KSP 2. Jeb, Val, Bob, and Bill all will be in KSP 2, right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.