KSP Memorial thread.

Minmus Taster

When you’re all quite finished with the melodramatic “nooo KSP is dead! waaaah ;.;“ nonsense… Nonody is going to delete KSP off your hard drives, or remove the ability to download it, or shut down the many, many mods that can now be updated for the last game version and then focus on their own content instead of worrying about game updates. Or not- there are plenty of people still running much older versions of KSP because they use specific mods that haven’t been updated beyond, say, 1.3, so why would it be any different once 1.12 is released?

Besides, as final updates go adding stock KAC and stock transfer planner is a good way to go out with a bang.

On 6/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, Jurassic kerbal said:

Plus there will probably be people who prefer the original rather than the sequel 

On 6/10/2021 at 3:29 PM, Corona688 said:

Of course this means that, in 10 years, only the Mac and Linux versions of KSP1 will still be playable.

Honestly, I lack any faith in KSP 2. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised, but they haven't even seemingly bothered to even guarantee whether it will even run on Mac or Linux machines... Two years in, and we still don't even know that... Yeah, no faith... We have no idea what Take Two's influence will be on the game... I want it to be great! I really do, and I certainly hope the game beats all my low expectations, but given the history of it's development, the pulled rug, T2's notoriety... I'm keeping my expectations SUPER low... Again, will be happy to be surprised, but not surprised if disappointed...

That having been said, I have every major version and most intermediate bug releases and betas between 0.25 and current, along with some of the really old versions, from the before Steam days, all backed up onto my computer. I only wish the 0.90 memory leak had been patched before they switched over to 1.0.x... 0.90 could have almost been my favorite version. Sadly, 1.0.something broke flexible docking ports, and I don't think that ever got fixed. I'd started building mega-rovers by constructing rocker bogey suspensions out of structural girders and docking ports. The flexibility was incredible! This was also the time I started collecting parts for an instrument panel... Feature creep and a desire to create the absolute best instrument panel I could led to a 5 year project that has been worked on, on and off, between work and shipping times for parts... I still have a long way to go, and in all reality, development of KSP 1.x will now officially end before my project is even finished... But I know KSP 1.12 will be waiting for me, along with OPM and MechJeb, Tweakscale and GPOSpeedFuelPump, among countless other mods... and of course, the all important KSPSerialIO mod, to let my instrument panel communicate with the game.

KSP 1.x is dead... Long live KSP 1.x

Edited by richfiles

1 hour ago, richfiles said:

We have no idea what Take Two's influence will be on the game... I want it to be great! I really do, and I certainly hope the game beats all my low expectations, but given the history of it's development, the pulled rug, T2's notoriety... I'm keeping my expectations SUPER low... Again, will be happy to be surprised, but not surprised if disappointed.

Good idea, but just letting you know that we do actually know weather of not T2 is...influencing the game a little, after Star Theory was butchered robbed and left for dead Star Theory's employs made the wise choice of switching to the MUUUCH BETTER Intercept Games, Nate Simpson opened up about the whole thing:

And while it WAS a year ago we can assume he and the teams goals remain the same.

I will ALWAYS remember the 8 years (9 by the time KSP2 releases) I had with KSP1 and the awesome 'firsts' I had playing it...

First orbit (thanks to Scott Manley)

First Mun landing (took a while)

First Docking (took ages )

First Duna mission (what an adventure that was...)   

The list goes on.....  For sure, I will have the same 'firsts' in KSP2, but I already have the skills and experience that KSP1 gave me to make them happen sooner, and hopefully easier.  That 'buzz' (no not 'that' Buzz,  Mr Aldrin, my childhood hero), but the feeling you get when you finally achieve what seemed impossible, just cannot be repeated in the same way.

Yes KSP2 will enable me to make the same 'firsts' again.  But it will give me many other 'new' firsts and new 'buzzes' that KSP1 never could.

KSP2 may be better than KSP1, but that won't ever make KSP1  'second best'.  It's not a competition, it's an evolution, the 'early'  eventually gives way to the 'modern' or dies out completely.  For a long time KSP1 was (and still is for now) THE BEST by a long way, but as the next phase in it's evolution is almost upon us, it is a time to reflect, and remember, but also to celebrate and prepare to welcome in the new era.

Edited by pandaman

I remember when I first tried out the KSP Demo and I wanted to dock two ships together because I lost one in orbit and wanted to rescue it. So I strapped a bunch of landing gear to one ship to make a "grabber" and it actually worked!

Then I did some googling and realized that the full game had docking ports and I immediately bought it lol. And now we even have robotics!

Lots of fun times with KSP, and that will never go away. Excited to see what's in store for KSP 2!

Edited by Opus_723

well, it's not like them stopping to update will prevent me from keep playing ksp 1. Unless they really do a much better job with 2, but i doubt it.

I may quit this game after achieving all that I care to achieve. but just because they release a new version? why should I? why would I? Why do the op treat the event with such a finality?

for that matter, I'm still playing civilization 4, which is now 20 years old; they are developing civilization 7 by now, but they pushed the game in a direction i did not like, so i stuck to the old one.

Don't let marketing dudes tell you what you want to play

Adobe CS6 is still my go-to tool for creative editing (Photoshop and Illustrator and to a lesser extend InDesign). It still works after all those years. I doubt KSP1 will stop working anytime soon. The game isn't dead yet!

On 6/11/2021 at 6:00 AM, Corona688 said:

KSP runs on Linux.

Linux runs on wireless routers.

Therefore, you can run KSP on wireless routers.

Also on washing machine controllers and on ATM.

Whatever KSP-2, it surely lacks KSPI-E, BDArmory, and all other plugin mods.

This means, when it gets released, it will be a plain stock KSP with integrated Scatterer, Extraplanetary Launchpads, and some parts from Near Future.

So, it will probably take a year(s) more to really replace KSP-1 for the hardcore players.

Also the KSP-1 mods are so developed and perfect that most of  beginning modders can't create anything compatible, while a "Hello! It's my first mod!" kind of mods unlikely will be much required after the KSP-1 mods.

So, it also depends on the experienced modders desire to rework their mods for absolutely another API.

17 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

well, it's not like them stopping to update will prevent me from keep playing ksp 1. Unless they really do a much better job with 2, but i doubt it.

I may quit this game after achieving all that I care to achieve. but just because they release a new version? why should I? why would I? Why do the op treat the event with such a finality?

for that matter, I'm still playing civilization 4, which is now 20 years old; they are developing civilization 7 by now, but they pushed the game in a direction i did not like, so i stuck to the old one.

Don't let marketing dudes tell you what you want to play

Same. I still enjoy Civ IV and play it all the time. Once the Civilization franchise required Steam installation, DRM, and frequent online check-ins to be allowed to play it offline I refused to buy any of the later versions.

If KSP 2 requires those type of demands then I simply won't buy it either. Fortunately, I know that I can play my copy of KSP as long as I want, whenever I want, on any system that can play it.

I, Dr. Kerbal is very sad. I am sad to see my favorite game being discontinued.  I am sad. Kerbal Space Program was my hope for me. Before my KSP days I would play boring games like Minecraft and SimCity. I have always liked space as a kid. I grew up hoping and searching deep through the Internet looking for something that would help me express my creativity and space. I wanted to build rockets, elaborate space stations, huge relay networks, send rovers, and telescopes. To explore the deepest and farthest reaches of the galaxy. After over 5 years of searching, I found Kerbal Space Program. A gem like Laythe, a harbor for me to express my love and fascination in space,  a community that would understand how vast and wonderful space is. When I first played Kerbal Space Program, I started on the PlayStation4. Excited to play, eager, and happy. Overjoyed and awed. I turned my PS4 on and it started to hum. The CD started to load and Kerbal Space Program loaded. I waited for it to update and load. And it finally did. After 5 years of searching and holding down my interest in space, I found it. I started a new save and built myself a simple rocket out of SRBs. And I went up. I was happy to see my design fly. It flew. And Jeb smiled in this box. I still remember that original rocket. All tall and skinny.  I remember my first rocket to orbit. It was tall and skinny and made of SRBs too. I sent more things and watched more tutorials. I flew more things. I built space stations, landed on new planets, I colonized the solar system. Bases, probes, rovers, kerbals, space stations. I remember, I looked back at my first rocket. I continued and moved on to the PC. I built more things. I travelled the solar system. I do not know what to say. I look back now and I see how far I have gone. Thank you Squad, Thank you Felipe. Thank you KSP Community. Thank you Matt Lowne, Thank you Scott Manley. Thank you ShadowZone. Thank you KSP Academy. Thank you to everyone who made and played KSP. Thank you. I would like to thank Private Division, Intercept Games, Take Two Interactive, Nate Simpsons, the Kerbal Space Program 2 team for continuing the legacy and joy of Kerbal Space Program. I hope everything goes to plan and thank you everyone for Kerbal Space Program. The best game and game franchise to ever exists.

Signing out,

Dr. Kerbal

27 minutes ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Before my KSP days I would play boring games like Minecraft and SimCity.

Funny you should say that because I consider Minecraft to be my all time favorite game, with KSP a (very) close 2nd. They're probably more like 1a and 1b depending on my mood though.

From 2014-2019 I pretty much played nothing but Minecraft, KSP, and whatever new Mario/Zelda game came out.

SimCity is another beloved franchise to me...at least until the 2013 reboot anyway.

What a great letter. It captures the same essence of how much I adore this game.

On 6/10/2021 at 9:29 PM, Corona688 said:

Called it!

Of course this means that, in 10 years, only the Mac and Linux versions of KSP1 will still be playable.

Yup. :mad: OK, I am currently spending a bit of time revisiting Dungeon Siege and that works well in Win7 compatibility mode, but I have serious concerns about any such Windows facility working for a very resource-hungry game like KSP.

Oh well, we shall have to wait and see.

On 6/10/2021 at 5:55 PM, kspnerd122 said:

Well, this is not going to be the "death" of KSP, modders will take care of it for years to come

Honestly, this is my expectation too. In the absence of KSP2, what we actually have with the final KSP version is a solid, stable base that modders can reliably work with and know they won't need to update because things in the game's code have changed. All those times Steam pulled an update and broke your game for 2 weeks? Never again!

Whether the player base maintains steady interest is another matter. I would suggest looking at modded Minecraft as a nearest comparison; sure, the base game gets occasional updates, but the modded crowd are still split between the latest, and a version from 3 years ago because that is where all the best mods live. Minecraft did not need to keep updating for those folks to continue playing it. I'm sure there's a very valid argument that new sales of MC are almost entirely looking for the newest and might fizzle if there's a cessation of development, but in this case, we have KSP2 to look forward to! There's no shame in buying KSP now knowing that the next update will be the sequel. If anything, that's really common!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.