RO / RP-1 / Kerbalism ? (future 1.12)

gr33nkerbal

Hello !

I played about 400hours of KSP mostly vanilla, and lastly with Kerbalism.

Now that the future 1.12 version arrives, what would you recommend in order to improve the game with the last version, when mods will be updated ? My PC is a laptop, so low config, but perfect for vanilla or light mods like Kerbalism.

I want a realistic KSP in order to get challendeg over the next months / years, as the game would probably not receive any update after this one.

1/ 1.12 + Kerbalism again (without failure, because they are too frequent) ?

2/ 1.12 + RP-1 and RO ?

3/ I tend to go towards 1.12 + RP-1 + RO + RSS, aka full package (will it work regarding compatibility and regarding performance on basic computer) ? I do not know if I really need Kerbalism above this package (I like science and antennas principle in kerbalism).

I just want to improve realism, not graphics.

Thanks !

Edited by gr33nkerbal

RSS, RO and RP-1 are radically different from stock KSP in just about every way, and require a lot more computer hardware (RAM and processor power) than regular KSP. I can't comment on computer hardware as it's not really my specialty, but from what you've said I'd guess that your laptop might struggle to run the game with RO and RP-1 installed, even pared back to the minimum mod count that you need to play it as intended.

RO/RP-1 isn't officially compatible with 1.11 yet- most of it works, but some important things around the new inventory system (including EVA jetpacks) do not- so if you want to go down that route, start in 1.10.1 to at least familiarise yourself with how it works. The first time I tried RO/RP-1 I quit after about an hour after realising just how monumentally different it all was, but when I came back to it last year I had played with both upscaled solar systems and with Kerbalism's stock config and watched an RO/RP-1 video series so I knew what I was getting into that time. It's very rewarding once you get the hang of it, but you should build up to it gradually or it'll be extremely daunting.

I'd suggest doing something else first to get some experience with a more complex game before going full realism.

• Try doing a Grand Tour with Kerbalism in the stock system- it's not nearly as easy to land on every planet and moon (except Jool, obviously) when you have to deal with life support, radiation, part failures and so on.
  • Try a new solar system. There are plenty of great planet packs out there- something like Snarkiverse to rearrange the stock system for new challenges might be worth a look, or if you want something completely new Beyond Home is a good one at stock scale, JNSQ is an upscaled and redesigned stock system and a good stepping stone to RSS-scale, or there are a few downsized Sol system mods out there too.
  • Try a tech tree rearrangement, especially one that puts probes first. RP-1 starts out with simple sounding rockets and builds up towards orbital probes and satellites, along with a series of missions for increasingly fast and high aircraft flights which lead up to a crewed orbit; doing something simillar in a more stock-alike playthrough is good practice for this, adding some limitations but offering some new opportunities too.

I'm not saying don't go for RO/RP-1, but just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into if you do.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

On 6/11/2021 at 8:30 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

RSS, RO and RP-1 are radically different from stock KSP in just about every way, and require a lot more computer hardware (RAM and processor power) than regular KSP. I can't comment on computer hardware as it's not really my specialty, but from what you've said I'd guess that your laptop might struggle to run the game with RO and RP-1 installed, even pared back to the minimum mod count that you need to play it as intended.

RO/RP-1 isn't officially compatible with 1.11 yet- most of it works, but some important things around the new inventory system (including EVA jetpacks) do not- so if you want to go down that route, start in 1.10.1 to at least familiarise yourself with how it works. The first time I tried RO/RP-1 I quit after about an hour after realising just how monumentally different it all was, but when I came back to it last year I had played with both upscaled solar systems and with Kerbalism's stock config and watched an RO/RP-1 video series so I knew what I was getting into that time. It's very rewarding once you get the hang of it, but you should build up to it gradually or it'll be extremely daunting.

I'd suggest doing something else first to get some experience with a more complex game before going full realism.

• Try doing a Grand Tour with Kerbalism in the stock system- it's not nearly as easy to land on every planet and moon (except Jool, obviously) when you have to deal with life support, radiation, part failures and so on.
  • Try a new solar system. There are plenty of great planet packs out there- something like Snarkiverse to rearrange the stock system for new challenges might be worth a look, or if you want something completely new Beyond Home is a good one at stock scale, JNSQ is an upscaled and redesigned stock system and a good stepping stone to RSS-scale, or there are a few downsized Sol system mods out there too.
  • Try a tech tree rearrangement, especially one that puts probes first. RP-1 starts out with simple sounding rockets and builds up towards orbital probes and satellites, along with a series of missions for increasingly fast and high aircraft flights which lead up to a crewed orbit; doing something simillar in a more stock-alike playthrough is good practice for this, adding some limitations but offering some new opportunities too.

I'm not saying don't go for RO/RP-1, but just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into if you do.

Thank you very much !
I installed RO / RP-1 / RSS / deadly reentry / FAR / reachutes... and it works perfectly ! Now I read tutorials, and will slowly immerge myself in it. It appears promising !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.