Show and Tell - Creating New Parts

StarSlay3r

How is a new part born? Every new part starts life as a simple whitebox model before an artist turns it into a finished part and drops it into a test scene with proper lighting.

Finished parts by Jonathan Cooper and Matthew Reynolds.

:friday:

A few things I noticed:

-Labelling test scenes, I think suggested this a few weeks ago, thanks for doing it. 
- 0:49 Lego Kerb. 
-Some nice kerbal suit color variety, is there going to be a recoloring menu like for the parts?

- near the end we can see a plane in the background. Looks like it might be some sort of VTOL

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

Music- AMAZING

New Parts- AMAZING

Kerbal Point of View- AMAZING

These show and tells are great. Hoping with Squad more involved in development you guys can make the game of both yours and our dreams!

3 minutes ago, Zaffre said:

Launch clamps? Good, good. Wind turbines? Awesome. ...Geothermal power plants? Colony roads?

This is going to be a bit more in-depth than I thought. Looking forward to future peeks.

Yeah, I thought colonies would be one or two buildings, but clearly I was wrong. Cant wait to see the in game economy they build, seeing how in depth the system seems.

4 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

These show and tells are great. Hoping with Squad more involved in development you guys can make the game of both yours and our dreams!

Yeah, I thought colonies would be one or two buildings, but clearly I was wrong. Cant wait to see the in game economy they build, seeing how in depth the system seems.

It's worth to note that SQUAD themselves are separate from Take-Two and all things KSP. When Take-Two came along, they took up the KSP property and developers, not SQUAD. The latter would be of little use to a game company.

Indeed. ...The roads remind me of those little foam or plastic road plates you'd stick together while in pre-school.

38 minutes ago, KSPStar said:

How is a new part born? Every new part starts life as a simple whitebox model before an artist turns it into a finished part and drops into a test scene with proper lighting.

Finished parts by Jonathan Cooper and Matthew Reynolds.

I love that we are able to place the runway tracks ourselves for the colonies instead of just having a default runway!

Also cool seeing some of the behind the scenes stuff

Edited by DJDoesKSP

These are completely awesome :D Love the detail and thinking about real engineering. Deep resource scanner is really cool... seems like the prospecting process is about to get a bit more involved! There are also some interesting site selection strategic ideas that could flow out of wind and geotherm. Maybe there are higher winds at higher elevations or along coasts? And there could be clever trade offs between cheaper intermittent sources like wind and solar that require more battery storage vs geothermal and nuclear that produce steady energy. It also raises some questions about resources that are non-renewable and whether depletion will be a factor.

Related: there's this simple game I played a few years ago called Block'hood that had some really cool mechanics centered around stability and sustainability. Instead of just extracting resources and spending them there's an internal flow of resources and your job is to balance it all as it grows. Could be a cool way to think about colonial systems where semi-closed loops and reuse are so important.

Edited by Pthigrivi

It's enough to make a full man cry.

It's so beautiful I literally am on the brink of crying of happy tears

Interestingly enough, I didn't know these existed until now

Vertical wind turbines could produce 10x the power per acre as their  horizontal counterparts

So i'm curious, why did you guys go with vertical instead of horizontal?

6 minutes ago, ballisticfox0 said:

Is the music part of the game? It's giving me hard Cities: Skylines vibes

Yes! All KSP2 Show and Tell music is KSP2 music.
Music by Howard Mostrom (Intercept Games)

1 hour ago, Minmus Taster said:

I could watch video's like that for hours...

out of likes so

like_1.png

Just now, KSPStar said:

Yes! All KSP2 Show and Tell music is KSP2 music.
Music by Howard Mostrom (Intercept Games)

It's actually quite beautiful, We gotta have a Howard Mostrom appreciation thread

out of likes so, you know the deal like_1.png

All of the power parts in this video and previous show and tells make me very exited for the level of management we can go into for different colony styles and the matching environment.

edit: grammar

Edited by Awfulwaffle

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.