Creator DLC's?

Now that Kerbal Space Program development is coming to an end, could the devs think of giving us creator DLC's maybe? Community made DLC's purchased for money you know :)

(I've tried to move this thread to the Suggestions forum instead)

Edited by Markodds
I want to delete this thread

1 hour ago, Markodds said:

Now that Kerbal Space Program development is coming to an end, could the devs think of giving us creator DLC's maybe? Community made DLC's purchased for money you know :)

so basically paid mods?!

1 hour ago, Markodds said:

could the devs think of giving us creator DLC's maybe? Community made DLC's purchased for money you know :)

Oh, paid mods? All I can say is that I hope this idea of paid mods should be banished to the under-realm. By making mods paid, you take away people who do it for the fun and enjoyment, and add a bunch of people who do it for the quick buck.

Edited by Bej Kerman

Patreon, PayPal, and Kofi exist, and many of our favorite modders and content creators have payment methods. I've already paid LGG more than twice what I paid for KSP and the DLCs, since he makes an otherwise unplayable game, playable.

However, the list of people that donate is rather small, and perhaps formalizing it could increase their revenue streams. This may also benefit the console players, who otherwise have no way to mod their games.

There are several logistical, legal, and other pitfalls involved, but that's above my pay grade. It's not a terrible suggestion, but I don't think it will happen for KSP 1.

This is something Colossal Order does. I think it's a great Idea. It's a paid gig of some form for the creator. It's a chance to showcase their work in a professional, actually released setting (Don't underestimate the value of that.)  A chance for the devs to give back to the community in a very tangible way. For them to possibly scope new talent. The way CO does it, it's usually a new set of original assets based on the thing the creator is known for. They have a reasonable price around 5 bucks, and they are not essential to play the game. They are bug tested to work at least as well as any other dlc.

It would be a good way to keep momentum going til the next chapter is upon us. But it would require some manpower, planing, and will to do it from all parties.

Royalties and payments make it more difficult for them to do something like this.  There is a whole complicated legal aspect to it that would be more work than creating the DLC.

At this point, if FASA was included, I could care less about the 1/10 of a % that I would get from the sales and would prefer that it was a free showcase of "best of" mods. The benefit being it would be downloadable for consoles....

A guess.

KSP-1 will be supported until the KSP-2 release. Bugfixes, maybe minor additions not taking much efforts.

Since the KSP-2 release it will become a retrorocket pulling the KSP-2 sales back.

The publisher won't be interested in further interest to KSP-1. He will be interested only in absence of the quality reclamations.
So, they will keep bugfixing, but won't put any efforts on improving this retrorocket.
Vice versa, the sooner KSP-1 will be abandoned, the fewer questions to ask about their difference, why two, which one choose, etc.

So, no coming DLC.

There were two DLC released years ago. None then.
So, probably, the DLC expirience was considered suboptimal for KSP.
For example, because they need to "support the KSP with/without the DLC", move parts and plugins from DLC into stock or no, etc.

So, unlikely any DLC is going to happen.

@Markodds I feel sure you meant no ill, just know this is a VERY anti pay-to-play and pay-to-win community. We/I deal with money hungry games and corporations a lot everyday and hate it. KSP (after squeaking by with 2 DLCs which in fairness I assume funded them to even this point) learned that being a niche game, you need die hard followers to spread the word over empty content. KSP is definitely not everyones cup of tea and would be very hard pressed to sell something to us that we can make ourselves. KSP achieved the loyal fanbase it did by listening to the people they sold their game to. Very unique in this industry. We/I would never want that unspoken relationship messed with and I think "paid mods" would do that very thing.

Also, the company (entity) that originally produced KSP was absorbed by (joined) the company that is making KSP2 so will soon cease to exist and be unable to continue with paid DLCs anyway. Anything by anyone else would be a counterfeit lie, besides the fact that a dated game like KSP just wouldn't be feasible to attempt an endeavor such as that and would assuredly result in a money pit for anyone attempting such a thing.

Just my opinions and observations. No offense is meant.

You could ask the moderators to merge the threads as well.

Overlapping threads have been merged.  Please try to remember that if you post something in the wrong place, just report your own post and ask us to move it for you.  Cross posting just creates confusion and can send the wrong message.

Also, some content has been removed.  Everyone is free to disagree, but putting people down and being rude is not something we like to see here.  If you see something you don't like, please just use the aformentioned report function and let us handle it.

I gladly paid for DLC even if it's offering something free mods offer, because:

• It financed continued development of the game
  • It's "as good as" stock. There are manu 5m tanks but if you're using the DLC one it's most likely the one most other players have
  • It's guaranteed to be updated on release of a new KSP 1 version

About none of that applies to “creator DLC”. I'm not saying no one will buy it, but I'm sure to be not the only one who can't see the value of it.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:44 PM, Kerbart said:

About none of that applies to “creator DLC”. I'm not saying no one will buy it, but I'm sure to be not the only one who can't see the value of it.

That's not necessarily true. I mean if all you gonna do is package up a mod and slap your name on it sure, that's what will happen. But you couldn't charge money for that garbage. A Creator pack would work just as well as any other dlc. Just smaller in scope perhaps, most likely just assets. Like I said look at how Cities Skylines do it. It works quite well. they do one or two a year. We live in a world where dlc is part of the revenue package. There's a right way and a wrong way depending on the scope. Your never gonna please those people that think all dlc is pay to win (it isn't.) And your not going to get those people who are so self-entitled that they believe all dlc should be free(DLS's are not updates people.) Kerbal has a disproportionate amount of those people. Surprising considering the only ones that old policy affects 'Should' be a decade wiser now and understand how stupid that position is.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:45 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Oh, paid mods? All I can say is that I hope this idea of paid mods should be banished to the under-realm. By making mods paid, you take away people who do it for the fun and enjoyment, and add a bunch of people who do it for the quick buck.

What a terribly bad take.

[snip]  Arma 3 has two released creator DLC's and one more in development. Both of these DLC's are extremely high quality and have a much higher polish than the wide array of mods on the workshop for Arma 3.

Creator DLC's and Mods are no where near mutually exclusive, for the sole reason that you get what you pay for.

[snip]

5 hours ago, chadgaskerman said:

[snip] Arma 3 has two released creator DLC's and one more in development. Both of these DLC's are extremely high quality and have a much higher polish than the wide array of mods on the workshop for Arma 3.

Creator DLC's and Mods are no where near mutually exclusive, for the sole reason that you get what you pay for.

[snip]

You can already find quality mods here that surpass what Squad has accomplished like Near Future Tech and ReStock+ without Squad having gone out of their way to incentivise people making shoddy mods for a quick buck. The second I see ReStock+ behind a paywall, I'm out, and it'd appear 90% of the people here would be out as well. Creator DLCs are a terrible idea; they don't incentivise well made mods, those already exist for free. They only encourage people to flood the place with bad mods because it would earn them a bit of money.

[snip]

1 minute ago, chadgaskerman said:

Where is your proof of this

Do I need to prove the fact you don't need to build paywalls to have mods that outdo what Squad has made?

Let me bring up another point, I've got the two DLCs just so that I don't run into problems opening craft mode by other players. I don't want to pay for a 7th, 8th, 9th DLC just to open a craft my friend made. Mods aren't a problem because you won't be gutting your wallet to download some crafts, but creator DLCs would fracture craft sharing.

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Do I need to prove the fact you don't need to build paywalls to have mods that outdo what Squad has made?

Let me bring up another point, I've got the two DLCs just so that I don't run into problems opening craft mode by other players. I don't want to pay for a 7th, 8th, 9th DLC just to open a craft my friend made. Mods aren't a problem because you won't be gutting your wallet to download some crafts, but creator DLCs would fracture craft sharing.

1. Yes, you do need to prove it

2. No one is forcing you to buy a CDLC

3.Have DLC's not already fractured craft sharing by your own logic?

2 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

I would simply refrain from putting out such an opinion without having actually spent several months working on a mod.

I am very sure you would enjoy being paid for RealChutes, but I am also very sure a lot less people would use it.

I'm tired, cya.

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I am very sure you would enjoy being paid for RealChutes, but I am also very sure a lot less people would use it.

I do not want nor need RealChute to be monetized, because I am fortunate enough to have a career that takes care of that. I also do not care how many people use RealChute, I wrote it for myself.

However, this is not the case for everyone. Modders are content creators, and everyone's life situation is very different. Dismissing so easily the the idea of them being able to be compensated for hundreds to thousands of hours of work is quite silly.

35 minutes ago, stupid_chris said:

However, this is not the case for everyone. Modders are content creators, and everyone's life situation is very different. Dismissing so easily the the idea of them being able to be compensated for hundreds to thousands of hours of work is quite silly.

I agree. 
I believe that generally mods are expected to be free. It seems like most established modders have a patreon or other donation link. 
Regarding “paywalls” the only ones I have seen are prereleases for Scatterer and Parallax.