Jump to content

KSP2 Tracking Station hopes and dreams


Recommended Posts

Full wildcard search capability on craft names, craft status (ESCAPING, LANDED...), crew names/tr aits, part names, inventory contents, even module names etc.

Even craft currently docked to other craft need to show in results.

Search results fully sortable on name, distance from reference body, craft, or other targetable object, time from maneuvernode or SOI transition or impact, etc

Every targetable/trackable item should have an editable "notes" field that can also be searched.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I really like this idea. It certainly would make things easier if there was a "notes" area with the proposed mission for the craft. Of course it would have to be able to be updated, because I get sidetracked a lot. Shoot for Duna, realize that your in an optimum trajectory for a slingshot maneuver to go to Dres.

 

That is really the only reason I have been to Dres.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 6:16 PM, darthgently said:

Even craft currently docked to other craft need to show in results.

I like this idea overall though this might not be so feasible since when craft are docked together they become a single craft, I imagine for good reason. If they stayed separate then they would load in separately and I believe precision errors would cause the kraken to rear its head. That said, I'm all for better search capabilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If in 

15 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I like this idea overall though this might not be so feasible since when craft are docked together they become a single craft, I imagine for good reason. If they stayed separate then they would load in separately and I believe precision errors would cause the kraken to rear its head. That said, I'm all for better search capabilities.

In KSP1 probe cores and capsules can remember their names for when they are staged or undocked.  So, I imagine, you should be able to tap into that and search for that info and not just the vessel name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2021 at 1:13 AM, mcwaffles2003 said:

I like this idea overall though this might not be so feasible since when craft are docked together they become a single craft, I imagine for good reason. If they stayed separate then they would load in separately and I believe precision errors would cause the kraken to rear its head. That said, I'm all for better search capabilities.

It is doable per probe core or command module where the vessel name can be set

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2021 at 3:13 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

I like this idea overall though this might not be so feasible since when craft are docked together they become a single craft, I imagine for good reason. If they stayed separate then they would load in separately and I believe precision errors would cause the kraken to rear its head. That said, I'm all for better search capabilities.

Who’s to say this will still be true for KSP2.
 

We know the craft files aren’t compatible so they might have a system that keeps them separated like the docked craft is one of the storage containers we’ve seen. The craft doesn’t need to know details just what is required to calculate physics.

Would seem a handy way to do LOD physics to treat big chunks of the craft as structurally sound unless they flag otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Who’s to say this will still be true for KSP2.
 

We know the craft files aren’t compatible so they might have a system that keeps them separated like the docked craft is one of the storage containers we’ve seen. The craft doesn’t need to know details just what is required to calculate physics.

Would seem a handy way to do LOD physics to treat big chunks of the craft as structurally sound unless they flag otherwise.

The craft file incompatibility comes from a change in the way save files are generated but loading precision is a problem at the engine level. But maybe, I don't  dev games..

7 hours ago, darthgently said:

It is doable per probe core or command module where the vessel name can be set

I'm talking about physical precision for the location of a ship when loading..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I'm talking about physical precision for the location of a ship when loading..

I still don't understand.  I'm talking about the Tracking Station, if you choose to "fly" or load a docked craft from the Tracking Station of course it would load the entire craft to which the selected docked craft is docked.  I don't understand why you are concerned about precision and location when loading

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

The craft file incompatibility comes from a change in the way save files are generated but loading precision is a problem at the engine level. But maybe, I don't  dev games..

I'm talking about physical precision for the location of a ship when loading..

If they have changed the game so it’s never trying to hold everything together then the floating point numbers don’t need to stretch as far and can be more precise close in.  
 

they have given us enough teases to say something is fundamentally different to the very core of the game. So if we like the idea of something then it’s worth talking about as the conditions that made it impossible might not exist. Or they might the fun is we don’t know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it would be very simple to have a single vessel icon that shows a list of crafts that are docked to it, either by hovering over the icon or by showing a submenue under the main craft in the craft list. I think this is a very important feature for any space station.

The whole thing could still load as one craft, but you should be able to edit the places where the craft is divided into separate vessels. At least set a station craft so that its docking ports serve to divide vessels automatically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...