Odd performance with many craft

I've been looking around online and I've seen quite a few sources say that each craft can run on a separate thread. I have a save where I've been playing around with lots of separate craft instead of large ones to increase performance. With 10 roughly 40 part craft I get a CPU usage of only 17% on a 6 core CPU, which is only one core loaded to max. GPU sits below 30% the whole time.. Any idea why its putting them all on one core or is this intended behavior? For reference this is KSP 1.8.1, with a decent chunk of mods.

Edited by blastjack85
Clarification

3 hours ago, blastjack85 said:

Any idea why its putting them all on one core or is this intended behavior?

My understanding is that it's because the physics engine isn't multi-threaded.  The game only really uses one CPU, regardless of how many cores you have on your machine.

I have tested it with 1000+ parts in a scene.

The mission I was doing was assembling a base which was many pieces and then was put together using a forklift.

when the base was in separate pieces the performance was higher.

As the base was built and there were less parts the performance dropped.

I am not sure how it works exactly, but more small crafts will definitely perform higher than one big one on my computer

10 hours ago, Snark said:

My understanding is that it's because the physics engine isn't multi-threaded.  The game only really uses one CPU, regardless of how many cores you have on your machine.

I think, and have observed, that the game itself is using multiple threads and therefore cores.

However it can't multi-thread a vessel. All the parts within each vessel are limited to one single thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.