[12.1.4] Kerbin Side Remastered - The Life Aquatic [v2.0.0][2022-12-18]

Caerfinon

4 minutes ago, Kerbin Launch Coalition said:

You know a method of fixing the 'issue' with Parallax 2.0 and the Kerbin Side mods?

Parallax needs a patch that hasn't been uploaded as yet. The reference to it is in the linked post.  

I also looked into the effort of using the nullmap method from Parallax and modifying KK statics as necessary. The discussion starts in this forum thread. 

On 11/9/2022 at 5:58 PM, Caerfinon said:

Parallax needs a patch that hasn't been uploaded as yet

I am trying to get this patch out some time during this week. There are a bunch of other things I had to investigate with the update to 1.12.4 and I've had a reasonably busy schedule. Cheers for being patient.

BTW, with how Kerbal Konstructs decals work, the area of 'scatter removal' is effectively a square the size of the decal radius - it is unaffected by the heightmap or colour map of the decal. This isn't really something I can control, as I just hook into the existing system in place by Squad. Hopefully it's good enough for your needs

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 2:45 PM, Gameslinx said:

I am trying to get this patch out some time during this week. There are a bunch of other things I had to investigate with the update to 1.12.4 and I've had a reasonably busy schedule. Cheers for being patient.

BTW, with how Kerbal Konstructs decals work, the area of 'scatter removal' is effectively a square the size of the decal radius - it is unaffected by the heightmap or colour map of the decal. This isn't really something I can control, as I just hook into the existing system in place by Squad. Hopefully it's good enough for your needs

What should KK do, to make it right? I only set a flag for a basic map decal and KSP removes the scatters there. Most modders just used a simple black mapDecal for making a flat area, which makes somewhat sense. 

• 3 weeks later...

The work so far

• Redesigning the TLA exploration missions
    • Support for multiple vessels.
      • Missions can be completed by one ship for all parts
      • or by a transport vessel to move to the site
      • then unload a dive vessel to submerge and explore
      • then return to the transport for the return to port
      • Because I really want to use @ColdJ's The Belafonte mod 
    • Observer for dive certification spawns at the harbour now rather than loading as a passenger
  • Where possible making the missions more friendly to players who use the Part Pressure Limits enabled. 
    • basic missions calling for dives are completable at 300 meter BSL depths. 
    • Working on neutral buoyancy for aircraft wrecks to keep them at  a 100-200 meters BSL depth for salvage missions
    • Exploration sites that are deeper than 300 meters won't be changed. Players will need to find methods to override the part pressure constraints via mods or module manager patches modifying maxPressure

The work so far

• Dive site missions will list the depths of each underwater waypoint in the contract 
  • This will allow players using Part Pressure Limits to determine what preparations they need to make for a truly deep dive 

Edit

• The range from port for Survey missions has been reduced so as to stop situations where the survey waypoint and the port are disconnected by intervening land masses which would involve near circumnavigation of the globe to reach.  
Edited by Caerfinon
survey mission changes

The work thus far

• All Exploration missions have been converted. Running some play testing now
  • First experiments with negative buoyancy wrecks for salvage missions is looking good. 
    • the small wreck is 30 meters below sea level sinking at  0.06mm/s If Bill takes the black box out then the wreck starts to surface a 3.43mm/s. Lots of wiggle room for a good salvage operation.  

WVcB5ja.png 

Edited by Caerfinon

Just now, stk2008 said:

I use JNSQ

you would have to do some conversion work

• All the Kerbal Konstruct Dive sites would need to be repositioned to various JNSQ locations. and their waypoints wound need to be relocated as well.
  • All of the JNSQ harbours would need to be defined in the group level data arrays in groups.cfg so that the contracts would have starting and end points 
  • Once the ports are defined the coast guard and salvage missions should work very well.  The exploration missions will take more work. 

It's a lot of fiddly work to port it to another planet pack but it can be done. I made a port of my airplane mod for JNSQ for a friend a while back and it was a little like writing a omplete new mod. 

The work so far

• Salvage missions have been updated to use Neutral Buoyancy wrecks which span 30 meters below the surface. 
  • They do not sink to the ocean floor when the recovery vessel enters physics range. (OK They ARE sinking but less than a millimeter per second) 

T7wnBRl.png

• Rewards restructured for Salvage missions base on size of wreck 
  • Blackbox recovery rewards additional Science
  • Wreck salvage rewards additional reputation

On 9/19/2022 at 2:49 AM, Caerfinon said:

No you are note missing anything.  The wrecks were made to sink to the bottom  of the ocean where they are spawned. 

What settings or mods are you using in your game that dictate the pressure? 

I am able to dive to well over 1000 meters in my game but I don't have "Part Pressure Limits" set on. 

I can make the wrecks with neutral buoyancy however the Contract Configurator SpawnVessel behaviour altitude setting is in meters above sea level. I could submit an negative value, but there is no way in CC to determine the depth of the seabed. If I give a value of -300 meters and the seabed at the spawn is only -50 meters I'm not sure what will happen to the wreck. I will play around with it when I have some cycles. 

This will only solve issues with the Salvage Missions. The Exploration Missions can be set very deep as KK statics. If your craft and Kerbal cannot survive the depths you will be unable to complete them.      

Opened as Issue 22 on GitHub

Sorry for the delay...  been absent for a while.   Anyway, yes, I do use the part and Kerbal pressure limits.  Thus, the wrecks spawn in the deep water and are destroyed before I am able to recover them.  So i am glad to see you have found a way around this.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

Version v2.0.0 for Kerbal Space Program 1.12.4 Released on 2022-12-18

Changes

• Exploration missions can now be completed by multiple vessels. (A vessel that transports other vessels, a separate vessel that submerges on the site, etc) 
  • Working under pressure. Changes to respect Part Pressure Limits 
    • Wrecks in salvage missions now spawn at a depth of 30 meters at the crash site and have neutral buoyancy
    • Certification and Survey missions require minimum of 300 meter dives to complete,
    • Exploration missions are unchanged in depths due to KK static locations, however, the depths of each waypoint are listed in the contract prior to acceptance so players can determine any additional steps they need to take to reach those goals.
      • (Module Manager patches to increase part pressure tolerance may be required but are not provided)

Now available on SpaceDock

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.