How do I get a FlyBy of Minmus?

The simplest but least efficient way is:

1: Get into LKO with ~1000 m/s delta V left.

2: Set Minmus as a target in map mode, this will bring up an AN/DN marker on the map (Ascending Node/Descending Node) and a degree reading will show up on the marker if you hover over it.

3: Set up a maneuver node on one of the nodes (really doesn't matter which for this purpose), and use the :normal: or :antinormal: handles to match your inclination. The degree reading will approach zero, and when you get close you will see the nodes start to swing around on your orbit track

4: Make that burn, then set up another maneuver with the prograde handle :prograde: that brings your AP out to Minmus orbit.

5: Grab the middle of the maneuver node (the grey/white part) and you will be able to swing the node around your existing orbit and see the new AP move around Minmus orbit until you get an encounter.

6:Execute the programmed burn

7: Profit???

KoS

The easiest-to-learn way of getting to Minmus would be an inclination change while in Kerbin’s orbit.

Once you’ve launched your rocket into orbit of Kerbin, select Minmus as your target. This will create two new indicators on the map (“M”) view; the ascending node (“AN” on the map) and descending node (“DN”), both in green. These two nodes indicate the angle between your orbit’s inclination and the inclination of Minmus; mouse over the node to get the angle.

Now, you want to change this angle to zero. Make a maneuver mode at the nearest of the two nodes, and use a radial (or anti-radial) burn to drop the angle to zero.

From here, you should be able to get to Minmus in the same way as you got to the Mun.

Alternatively, you can simply burn prograde at the AN or DN when that point in your orbit has Minmus coming over the horizon. You may have to wait a little while for that to happen, but it's more efficient since you don't have to use all the fuel needed to match its inclination. If you're new to the game, or impatient, do what those above me have recommended.

3 hours ago, Gamera Obscura said:

Alternatively, you can simply burn prograde at the AN or DN when that point in your orbit has Minmus coming over the horizon. You may have to wait a little while for that to happen, but it's more efficient since you don't have to use all the fuel needed to match its inclination. If you're new to the game, or impatient, do what those above me have recommended.

Alternatively if you don't like waiting in orbit for days only to time warp through the window, then launch into the correct inclination to start with.

KSC sees launch windows to Minmus twice a day, if you have Making history and Allow other launch sites, then Dessert is conveniently located for daily launch windows

Launch Window: Minmus has an inclination of 6 degrees from the equator of Kerbin. I launch directly into an inclined orbit that's close to matching the plane that Minmus is in. There are 2 launch windows per day, 3 hours apart. To find those times first look at the map, double click Kerbin to center the view on it. Then align the Mun's orbit (no inclination) with Minmus' orbit like this:

lq6zagB.png

Remember if  Minmus' orbit is at 84 deg as shown above or 96 deg. because you will launch at this angle. Then use the mouse wheel to zoom in. The point in the center of your view of Kerbin is where the space center needs to be when you launch. Use time warp to position it there.

Launch: It's a standard launch to LKO except you're targeting 84 deg. or 96 deg. I use Kerbal Engineer Redux (KER) to show the orbit inclination - this makes it much easier. With practice, you should be able to get 6 +/- 1 deg. inclination.

Outbound: Now that you're in an orbit that's almost in the same plane as Minmus, it shouldn't be too hard to get an intercept using only prograde burn (assuming you've gone to the Mun already). Aim the maneuver node orbit about 40 deg. ahead of Minmus. It usually takes about 920 m/s deltaV and 8-10 days to get there. Do not try to correct the inclination now - it costs more deltaV. When I do the burn, I use prograde hold, not maneuver hold. It's slightly more efficient but the burn time indicator won't be quite right (it assumes instantaneous burns). Slow the burn way down at the end and focus view on Minmus to watch the orbit.

Midcourse correction: Halfway between Kerbin and Minmus, do a tiny correction burn to fix your aim. You should be able to aim anywhere around Minmus with <10 m/s deltaV here. 

I wouldn't just do flyby... I'd make a relay satellite and put it in Minmus orbit. It would only take around 200 m/s extra to get into orbit  - Minmus has weak gravity. Then you'd have a relay for future probes and landers.

11 minutes ago, Krazy1 said:

Launch Window: Minmus has an inclination of 6 degrees from the equator of Kerbin. I launch directly into an inclined orbit that's close to matching the plane that Minmus is in. There are 2 launch windows per day, 3 hours apart. To find those times first look at the map, double click Kerbin to center the view on it. Then align the Mun's orbit (no inclination) with Minmus' orbit like this:

lq6zagB.png

Remember if  Minmus' orbit is at 84 deg as shown above or 96 deg. because you will launch at this angle. Then use the mouse wheel to zoom in. The point in the center of your view of Kerbin is where the space center needs to be when you launch. Use time warp to position it there.

Launch: It's a standard launch to LKO except you're targeting 84 deg. or 96 deg. I use Kerbal Engineer Redux (KER) to show the orbit inclination - this makes it much easier. With practice, you should be able to get 6 +/- 1 deg. inclination.

Rather than using Map view, as long as you have at least lvl 2 tracking station, you can use the advanced orbital info below the staging stack.  no need for KER either

When the LAN readout at the KSC launchpad reads 168 deg. launch to a heading of 84 deg.

When it reads 348 deg. launch to a heading of 96 deg.

From Dessert, the LAN readout works properly, and since Desert is 6.6 degrees south of the equator, when the LAN readout there reads 78 deg launch to a 90 degree heading.

Edited by Rhomphaia

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.