KSP 2 Pricing and older players

KSP2 Pricing  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should KSP2 cost the same as KSP, and should older players get a free version?

• Same price, No free copies
    • Different Price, No free copies
    • Same Price, Free for current KSP players
    • Different price, Free for current KSP players
    • Same Price, Free for KSP players pre-November 2013
    • Different price, free for KSP players pre-November 2013

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Do you think KSP2 will be similarly priced to KSP?

Should older players from pre-2013 (I am not one) get a free copy since they got free DLCs?

Or will Take-Two charge us all again?

Edited by Jeb_Needs_A_Parachute

5 minutes ago, Jeb_Needs_A_Parachute said:

Do you think KSP2 will be similarly priced to 

Some of this needs further elaboration. Of course KSP 2 isn't going to cost the same as KSP 1 because KSP 1 has been discounted over the years. And even when it used to be at full price, KSP 2 is clearly a much more polished game with a higher budget. Since a decent proportion of the people wanting this game are KSP 1 players, getting it free by having KSP 1 feels like a very, very poor business decision. I do have another proposition:

If KSP 2 ever gets a small demo with restricted conditions (i.e., Only Kerbin and Mun are present, only first four tiers of the tech tree, etc.) that could sell for a lower price, and possibly be given for free to KSP 1 players.

Let's also say this: If someone buys KSP 2, they'll get KSP 1 for free. The game won't see any more development, so this could act as a good deal for people who are curious about KSP 1, but they don't want to buy both games, so they'll only be charged for KSP 2. This creates greater incentive to purchase KSP 2.

edit: more 'business-related' language

Edited by intelliCom

Not this thread again.

Can a mod please superpin a thread explaining that the work by an entire talented team of developers over the course of several years needs to be paid for in some way? 

This isn't one of those "change a couple things like a sports game and charge full price the next year for updated name rosters" thing. This is a full redesign and recode starting from the ground up, with massively more gameplay and features. Yes, the Kerol system will be returning. No, that doesn't make it the same game. Yes, you paid for KSP1 (a 2011 Honda Accord that you used for 250,000 miles). No, you don't get KSP2 for free (a 2022 Acura NSX with 6 miles on it).

The amount of money I have saved not having to buy other games because of the 5000+ hours I have gotten out of KSP1...why are we still talking about this?

I hope that the Intercept Games employees make a bucket load of money with bonus's for making an awesome game.

I hope Take Two make a bucket load of money from the game too. Private Division will make more money from KSP2 than any other game released...so they should if the game is as good as I hope

I hope I get another 5000+ hours out of KSP2 that I have gotten out of KSP1.

US$60 for  5000 hours? Thats nothing

Also...I want DLCs! Every 6 months or so. Lets keep Intercept Games working on KSP2 for as long as we can

7 hours ago, Jeb_Needs_A_Parachute said:

It will be $60.

Should older players from pre-2013 (I am not one) get a free copy since they got free DLCs?

No, they have already got what they have been promised.

If you bought the game before May 2017, then you didn't even pay them the first time, see here.

This is the fourth time... i think? Well... In resume, no it's a brand new game, made from scratch, not an update not additional content, a brand new game.

Edited by Davi SDF

10 hours ago, Jeb_Needs_A_Parachute said:

Should people be paid for their work? I you think not give me your number that I need a gardener for the summer (for free obviously).

I'm with @Anth12 on this, don't make it free for anyone and keep cranking out paid DLC's so that the game's development continues for a decade and beyond. I'll happily keep pitching in money to what could very well become the best game franchise of all time.

I am an 'older' player (in both senses of the word).

And no, I don't think anyone should get it 'free' because they bought the prequel.   And it is just not appropriate, or sound business sense, to charge KSP1 price for it IMO.

On 6/21/2021 at 4:34 PM, Anth12 said:

The amount of money I have saved not having to buy other games because of the 5000+ hours I have gotten out of KSP1...why are we still talking about this?

I hope that the Intercept Games employees make a bucket load of money with bonus's for making an awesome game.

I hope Take Two make a bucket load of money from the game too. Private Division will make more money from KSP2 than any other game released...so they should if the game is as good as I hope

I hope I get another 5000+ hours out of KSP2 that I have gotten out of KSP1.

US$60 for  5000 hours? Thats nothing

Also...I want DLCs! Every 6 months or so. Lets keep Intercept Games working on KSP2 for as long as we can

Only way you'll get close to that is a Star Trek super box set in a bargain bin. 

On 6/24/2021 at 9:13 PM, Kerbart said:

... I seriously don’t understand why older players should pay less.

Well, statistically, they won't be able to play the game as long as younger players.  Less chance to use the product, so it's worth less to them.  It's perfectly logical, right? 

Steam does allow for creation of discount coupons that are automatically sent to owners of another title. It might be a nice gesture + a good marketing move to send out a small discount on KSP2 to KSP owners on Steam. I wouldn't expect more than 5%-10% discount with something like that, though.

I have no idea if there is a similar mechanism on consoles. I know you can generate conditional discounts for SKUs, but I don't know if there's anything like a discount coupon. The neat advantage of the Steam's approach to this is that you do get a new "item" notification, which might generate more sales.

Other than that, though, I wouldn't expect anything. It's a new game with completely new development cycle. Other than the IP and some overlap on devs, there isn't really a connection between the two games.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:17 AM, K^2 said:

Steam does allow for creation of discount coupons that are automatically sent to owners of another title. It might be a nice gesture + a good marketing move to send out a small discount on KSP2 to KSP owners on Steam. I wouldn't expect more than 5%-10% discount with something like that, though.

I think this is the best idea of the thread. Also maybe scale so the longer you played KSP the bigger the discount on KSP 2?

I can't see them discounting a new game that was delayed 2-3 years anytime near release. Maybe a discount on the OST, or a free digital comic book or something like that, but they sunk millions into this and need to get it back. You can almost certainly get a discount if you're willing to wait a few years, tho.

4 hours ago, Jeb_Needs_A_Parachute said:

Also maybe scale so the longer you played KSP the bigger the discount on KSP 2?

1. That's not possible
  2. That's impractical if it was
  3. That's far too much work so someone who bought the game in 2016 gets an extra dollar off compared to someone who bought the game in 2017

How about we just pay the devs for the fantastic game they're making and not do everything we can to avoid making sure they have a sustainable living income for a while?

Let's be serious, if your a diehard KSP fan you will buy this game ASAP at full price.

Why would they give discounts to the most die hard fans if the most die hard fans would probably pay a heck of a lot more for the game? 

Heck, release the game with some deluxe edition that's 2 times the price where I get a new Jeb plushy and I'd throw down to buy that version.

Sure if your short on cash and can't afford all that stuff, then I understand wanting some kind of discount. I can see a steam sale inbound months after initial release if you can't afford the base game. However, I said the same thing to myself when I got the first game's demo.... broke down, sold a kidney and got the game at its full price. (All true except the kidney part)

Game development is expensive nowadays. Games are more complicated, take more effort, time and money to develop and yet most games are sold at 60$, which is the essentially been the same for years. The fact KSP 1 got a decade of support is completely insane, I'd hope part of that was all the continual support thru DLC's and essentially "free marketing" the game had thru STEM related endeavors. I hope to see the same level of support for KSP 2, but that only happens if the people get paid for their work over time, and I'll be willing to pay to keep the game alive another 10 years. 

4 minutes ago, TLTay said:

Jeb plush is available now for preorder, btw... In event you were not made aware.

Yes, me and my wallet are very aware ;D