KSP 2 Pricing and older players

KSP2 Pricing  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should KSP2 cost the same as KSP, and should older players get a free version?

• Same price, No free copies
    • Different Price, No free copies
    • Same Price, Free for current KSP players
    • Different price, Free for current KSP players
    • Same Price, Free for KSP players pre-November 2013
    • Different price, free for KSP players pre-November 2013

2 hours ago, MKI said:

The fact KSP 1 got a decade of support is completely insane,

I'm all for paying full fare and then some for KSP2, but the truth is KSP1 didn't get a decade of support, as it didn't actually come out until 2015! What happened before then is that the community willingly paid for the privilege of beta testing it.

If any group deserves a free copy of KSP 2, it would be some of the modders that have added so much to KSP1 over the years.  And that is a small enough group that it shouldn't have  a significant impact on income from the game.

3 hours ago, herbal space program said:

I'm all for paying full fare and then some for KSP2, but the truth is KSP1 didn't get a decade of support, as it didn't actually come out until 2015! What happened before then is that the community willingly paid for the privilege of beta testing it.

You say that as though it ended with the 1.0 version.

This is an odd request. This is not like Electronic Arts with Madden Football, where it is mostly a roster update and a slew of microtransactions to bank on as well. This is a brand new game from the ground up, with modern graphics and many new features. Aside from advertisement keys to streamers or reviewers, used to build awareness for the game when released, there is absolutely no logic behind this request. 

That aside, why would you not want to support a developer who is making something that you appreciate and plan on investing a lot of time and mental anguish on. I am sure that I will be learning all kinds of things that I do not know or had forgotten, when I finally get to play Kerbal Space Program 2. I will be sure to have snacks and water ready for a gaming marathon.

I will also raise a glass to all of the Kerbalians that will be lost in my first attempts. Maybe we should have a memorial wall for our fallen Kerbalians. May their last moments of panicked bravery never be forgotten. Now I have the song from Alexander Hamilton in my head.

Toast.gif

10 hours ago, herbal space program said:

This is like saying factorio really began at 1.0 in late 2020 when the gameplay was 90% what it is today before even 0.6 in 2013

9 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

This is like saying factorio really began at 1.0 in late 2020 when the gameplay was 90% what it is today before even 0.6 in 2013

I don't know about factorio, but I can say with confidence that when I started playing KSP in 2013 with 0.18,  gameplay was nowhere near 90% of what it is now.  

Though I missed out on the earliest of alphas (didn't download till later); I definitely first played it around February 24th/25th, 2012 after finding out about it on Megagames (though I went to the main website to get the demo, which was around 0.12/0.13 era).  There was definitely less back then; yet you could still do a lot.  Been wanting to see a game like Kerbal Space Program when I was a teenager, where you could literally build your own rockets and send it to space.  This was back in the 2000s.  First played it when I was only 23, got a paid copy (which was $14.99/$15.00 at the time) when I turned 24 (my birthday).

Even when it reached 1.0; there were definitely still things missing that have finally just made it rather recently.  Though I have yet to try the current version due to life; it is very nice to have the option to finally do construction over EVA.  Now, I have not voted currently, but I would choose the option that no copy should be free.  That is considering I was an early adopter (who got the expansions free).  However, having the base game of KSP free would be a good incentive to include with KSP2 for newer players.

Edited by Bandock
Grammar correction from 'was' to 'were'.

On 7/1/2021 at 5:54 AM, kerbiloid said:

Every 500 forum rep points should give a 1 USD discount.

And every 500 posts as well.

Says the guy with over 13k posts and 12k rep :D.  Nice try, I can't fault your thinking on that one.:wink:

Seriousy though... It would be one way to reward the more 'involved' without imposing contentious rigid date limitations.  But from a business perspective it doubt it would make much sense as they are probably the most likely to just buy it anyway, so why risk losing revenue.

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

Says the guy with over 13k posts and 12k rep :D.  Nice try, I can't fault your thinking on that one.:wink:

Seriousy though... It would be one way to reward the more 'involved' without imposing contentious rigid date limitations.  But from a business perspective it doubt it would make much sense as they are probably the most likely to just buy it anyway, so why risk losing revenue.

Which is why the price should increase for each 500 rep points and posts.

5 hours ago, razark said:

Which is why the price should increase for each 500 rep points and posts.

Agreed 5% increase for every 500 starting at 500.

So that I can still pay normal price..  :grin:

Even though I'm driving this 2011 Chryslerolet F-150, I think I'll just pop on down to the ol' car dealership and pick up a new, free Mustvette - and, then, drive both home.

After all, I've been driving for years, now. 

:huh: