The Impact of Squad on KSP 2

I know with normal mergers in the business world all you will ever hear is all the good, none of the bad.

I don't know how similar this is to the business model, but I like to think it's better than that and all of Squad kept their jobs and are adding huge helping hands to the KSP 2 project that is boosting it ever quicker to a release date before our predictions. As far as facts go I have no clue to where to begin to speculate because in the normal business world mergers or takeovers rarely happen without a lot of "bloodshed".

Why would there need to be a discussion among the fans about this? Squad is helping Intercept, what is there to discuss. The fate of Squad? The perceived change in time line?

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

Why would there need to be a discussion among the fans about this? Squad is helping Intercept, what is there to discuss. The fate of Squad? The perceived change in time line?

A lot of people think that KSP1 problems are some sort of infectious disease that can be brought on to KSP2 when Squad will get their hands on it.

2 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

It has been confirmed that Squad will be working on ksp 2. I do not see much discussion around this, which is shocking because of the major impact it can have on the game (and of course it's release).

It has been confirmed that more members of Squad will continue to work on KSP 2.

They (SQUAD) has already been in a contracting role with Intercept Games and has been helping them out for quite some time. This just brings more manpower to the game.

Edited by MechBFP

6 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

They (SQUAD) has already been in a contracting role with Intercept Games and has been helping them out for quite some time. This just brings more manpower to the game.

This was also mentioned in many of the feature videos released from the team. 

4 hours ago, Master39 said:

A lot of people think that KSP1 problems are some sort of infectious disease that can be brought on to KSP2 when Squad will get their hands on it.

Some people knows the value of Reputation while merging teams.

Less than adequate management (between many other factors) create stains on the working force's psique that usually cause problems while integrating them on an already stablished and funcional team where a more sane culture is already consolidated.

Sometimes, it just don't worth the effort -- being the reason that merging organisations usually implies in a bloodshed on the receiving end of the merge (as correctly explained by Dientus). Internal culture plays a really important role on this matter.

If you are a member of a team being merged where no one is being dispensed, be aware of the incredible luck you have and value this opportunity that is denied to many.

6 hours ago, Master39 said:

I thought Take Two had The Beancounters for that task?

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

Some people knows the value of Reputation while merging teams.

Less than adequate management (between many other factors) create stains on the working force's psique that usually cause problems while integrating them on an already stablished and funcional team where a more sane culture is already consolidated.

Sometimes, it just don't worth the effort -- being the reason that merging organisations usually implies in a bloodshed on the receiving end of the merge (as correctly explained by Dientus). Internal culture plays a really important role on this matter.

If you are a member of a team being merged where no one is being dispensed, be aware of the incredible luck you have and value this opportunity that is denied to many.

Not getting in this discussion once again.

If you really believe that Squad presence can somehow magically transfer the long standing problems KSP has due to being an indie game developed as a hobby project into KSP2 I don't think there's even a point in trying to explain who things work.

13 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

It has been confirmed

declared

A year ago they published a vacancy "Community Manager in Seattle".

Community Manager, Carl. A call-center babysitter.
Could be sitting anywhere, from Namibia to Greenland. But somehow required exactly in Seattle.

Doesn't it tell everything about the plans of co-operation?

10 hours ago, MechBFP said:

It has been confirmed that more members of Squad will continue to work on KSP 2.

Hasn't the Intercept team itself already been "optimized" not long ago?

Edited by kerbiloid

My opinion is that it won't have an impact that we will see.  Simply because I think this is, and was, always 'the plan'... To wind down KSP1 once KSP2 got up and running.

It is my understanding that the Squad team have been helping out the KSP2 team right from the start, in some capacity.

OK so KSP2 got delayed a couple of times, but the 'plan' to stop KSP1 at, or around, the10 year mark and move the Squad team fully on to KSP2 didn't change.  All that changed was that KSP2 was originally scheduled to have been released by now.  So rather than having both being actively developed for a year we have a more distinct 'change over'.

7 hours ago, Master39 said:

Not getting in this discussion once again.

yes you are. :) as a matter of fact, you just did. ;)

7 hours ago, Master39 said:

If you really believe that Squad presence can somehow magically transfer the long standing problems KSP has due to being an indie game developed as a hobby project into KSP2 I don't think there's even a point in trying to explain who things work.

It doesn't matter what I believe. We are not talking about religion or something like that.

What's matter is if it's possible,  how are the chances of that happening, and what I can do to mitigate the risks I would take. 

Risk Management. It bites. 

Now take what I said and multiply by every stakeholder on this history.

Welcome to the desert of the real: it's not enough to be good, you must convince people that it's good - and this is slightly more difficult when you have some karma attached.

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Could be sitting anywhere, from Namibia to Greenland. But somehow required exactly in Seattle.

Doesn't it tell everything about the plans of co-operation?

I wonder how the new pos-pandemic zeitgeist will affect this. Remote jobs are popping out everywhere, business demanding physical presence or proximity are going to fight competition from the whole World...

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Hasn't the Intercept team itself already been "optimized" not long ago?

or cleaned up, perhaps? Waving workforce and later hiring again usually suggests some structural problems on the company. Granted, can be anything from an a internal power struggle to financial problems - but in a way or another, it raises some eyebrows.

5 hours ago, pandaman said:

My opinion is that it won't have an impact that we will see.  Simply because I think this is, and was, always 'the plan'... To wind down KSP1 once KSP2 got up and running.

my opinion is that KSP2 was meant to be released on the 10 years mark, and 1.7.3 was intended to be the final KSP1 release.

But something happened and they decided to push KSP 1.8 and newer, being this last ones a contingency plan being run in background at that time - just in case.

I'm pretty sure the pandemics really screwed up things on the Plan B too.

Edited by Lisias
Hate typing on mobiles.

22 hours ago, Master39 said:

Wait what?!

• 3 months later...

I think Squad will be a great help as they already had experiences from the first game. In coordination with the new dev teams, they surely will know what and what's not to do, I'm sure Squad's mistakes from the first game will be their strength in the new one