1.12 Early Look Live Stream

StarSlay3r

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I heard on one of the streams that the new docking port alignment feature causes autostruts to stop functioning across docking ports. Can anyone please confirm that this is the case?

If so, is this not considered a bit short sighted when considering builds like large orbital stations or interplanetary craft where they are typically long with lots of docking port connections or have complex arrangements? I can see a lot of users loading up their preexisting, large vessels and seeing their craft go all wobbly and krakenstrike into oblivion.

Autrostruts are usually the cause of "krakenstrikes" so this is a good thing IMO.

I heard on one of the streams that the new docking port alignment feature causes autostruts to stop functioning across docking ports. Can anyone please confirm that this is the case?

To tell you the true, autostruts can be a source of problems when docking heavier vessels. Everything autostrutted to the root or to the heaviest part will suddenly be "reautostrutted", and this can cause wobbles big enough to destroy the craft.

So perhaps avoiding autostruts across docking ports can ended up being beneficial - but this will break some of my designs for sure, now and then I use docking ports as stage separators (exactly by their superior resilience). I wonder if an Add'On could selectively "fix" this - perhaps a "bypass autostrut" toggle option? That would be a nice solution for the problem - allowing the user to disable the autostruts bypass or not.

If so, is this not considered a bit short sighted when considering builds like large orbital stations or interplanetary craft where they are typically long with lots of docking port connections or have complex arrangements? I can see a lot of users loading up their preexisting, large vessels and seeing their craft go all wobbly and krakenstrike into oblivion.

Well, some of mine surely will....

On the other hand, I heard that the EAS Struts will be maintainable by Kerbals, so perhaps using an Engineer to (re)place some EAS Struts between the docked parts could be a viable work around for this problem.

Edited by Lisias
Hit "Save" too soon.