Kerbal Space Program 2 is heading to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S

StarSlay3r

KSP2 Xbox Series XS PS5 TWFB.jpg

Coming in 2022, Kerbal Space Program 2 will launch on PC via Steam and other digital storefronts, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One consoles. 

More details coming at a later date.

Big woop. What about (native) Linux?

And this had BETTER not trigger a UI dumb-down to cater for the consoles..   

Please don't get me wrong, I also love console gaming, but some games are more suited to controller+TV gaming and others more suited to a full PC experience. KSP, IMHO, is far more suited to PC gaming and I am very very tired of "Lowest Common Denominator" development.  A few of my favourite games have been significantly affected when console support was added - and not for the better. Thankfully KSP1 stuck to its original UI even after the console ports 

Why is it still planed for the old consoles? They are only holding back everything with their extremly weak CPUs and low RAM. Supporting them will keep KSP2 stuck on old Hardware forever, as they cant drop support later.

Nice! What about a native Linux version? Would really like to have that, and it seems like I'm not alone with this... Linux gaming may be a small market overall, but the KSP community apparently has a rather large number of active players and modders who use Linux (which is to be expected considering the type and target audience of the game :)...).

34 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Why is it still planed for the old consoles?

Because there's a lot of people who doesn't want to buy new consoles over and over again.

So by only targeting the latest version you lock out a significant part of the potential market.

50 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Because there's a lot of people who doesn't want to buy new consoles over and over again.

And those can continue to play KSP1 on the old ones. Dont forget, KSP2 wont be replaced by KSP3 for >5 years, during which everything has to scale to those awfully slow Jaguar cores. So we will likely see less planets, worse aerodynamics, less simulated features of colonys and many more due to a small minority on extremly old legacy hardware.

1 hour ago, Elthy said:

And those can continue to play KSP1 on the old ones. Dont forget, KSP2 wont be replaced by KSP3 for >5 years, during which everything has to scale to those awfully slow Jaguar cores. So we will likely see less planets, worse aerodynamics, less simulated features of colonys and many more due to a small minority on extremly old legacy hardware.

Yes.

That's one of the big worries for console devs.

How to utilize the power of newer consoles without rejecting the majority of console owners.

3 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

There's also a lot of PC players who don't want the successor to their favourite game to be dumbed down for the fraction of players that, frankly, I don't think matters.

1 hour ago, ArtemisAZ said:

Really not feeling too good about this ngl

What do you actually mean by that? This does not make sense.

Also when this posts' topic name cuts out on h, I tought that it was gonna say: Kerbal Space Program 2 is hours away from the release. Oh my tricky mind.

Nice! i can not wait to see. No pressure! But I do hope it comes in time for Christmas. That would ne nice. Or even New Years! 

On 6/25/2021 at 9:57 AM, panarchist said:

They want to turn 5+ million players into 50M players.

Give the KSp franchise enoguh time and it actully might be the next Minecraft.

"I was looking through the Something Awful Forums, and someone said, this might be the next Minecraft" -Scott Manely

7 minutes ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Nice! i can not wait to see. No pressure! But I do hope it comes in time for Christmas. That would ne nice. Or even New Years! 

Give the KSp franchise enoguh time and it actully might be the next Minecraft.

"I was looking through the Something Awful Forums, and someone said, this might be the next Minecraft" -Scott Manely

It probably won't be the next minecraft, but it could be a mega-game, I don't expect KSP 2 to sell more than 10-50 million copies

xbox and ps4, but no Mac. Lovely.

I have a PC (2 actually), but the machine I want to use is my Mac which is going to be replaced with an M1X when that's a thing, no more bootcamp. I have a PS4, too. Won't be buying it, sadly.

BTW, if you made a version for Apple silicon, it would also work on iOS devices into the bargain.

12 minutes ago, Alectrisity said:

Please confirm this won't degrade the game's quality on more competent platforms.

It all depends on the system capabilities. If the platform they're running KSP2 on is stuttering even a the lowest settings, then they will degrade the quality of the game for that specific platform.  Also the PC version would have the best graphics, as computers are not as limited as consoles. Also PC users can lower graphics, but from my experience of console games, most games do not allow to change the graphics settings.

8 minutes ago, tater said:

xbox and ps4, but no Mac. Lovely.

I have a PC (2 actually), but the machine I want to use is my Mac which is going to be replaced with an M1X when that's a thing, no more bootcamp. I have a PS4, too. Won't be buying it, sadly.

BTW, if you made a version for Apple silicon, it would also work on iOS devices into the bargain.

Most people who play KSP are not mac users. So why put in time for Mac when there are a lot more PC players (I guess you can say the same for Console...)

40 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Most people who play KSP are not mac users. So why put in time for Mac when there are a lot more PC players (I guess you can say the same for Console...)

So take PC, Xbox, and PS4, and whichever has the fewest players, axe support for that? Amiright?

They can do what they like, but I won't buy it (and I bought all the add-ons to regular KSP just to support them).

17 hours ago, Thomot512 said:

What about Linux?

While there hasn't been a formal announcement, I agree with  @RealKerbal3x in an older post

Since it is announced as PC and not Windows specific, it is most likely coming.