Kerbal Space Program 1.12: "On Final Approach" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

9 minutes ago, Dai said:

Almost all the mods I use are now incompatible.  If this is a sign to come I won't be waiting money on KSP2 .  :sad:

This sort of thing happens with every update, and probably many other modded games for that matter. Many mods depend heavily on core game functions and when those change, the mods break.

The best thing to do is either continue playing on 1.11.2 with all your mods, or play on 1.12 without mods until they get updated.

just tested the maneuver node creator. works descent to me and i like it. but it doesnt take the next possible transfer window. i did a test with mun and it created not the next possible node in the orbit. it took one 2d ahead and the new path went to muns altitiute but took a trip back to kerbin, pass kerbin and then go back to mun to have an encounter :). that is a bit strange to be honest :)

OX2ol4.jpg

see where mun is when i was on my way to it.

ntzONM.jpg

arriving there it switched to a return to kerbin orbig (with PE 84000) and on the next trip i had my encounter.

2 hours ago, Dai said:

Almost all the mods I use are now incompatible.  If this is a sign to come I won't be waiting money on KSP2 .  :sad:

This has been happening for 10 years and its completely normal. Every time the game updates we must wait for the modders to update their respective children, when and IF they decide to do so. Such is the life of playing modded. For what it's worth, I use close to 70 mods and most of them are working, some of them from version 1.4.4 (!) Patience, friend. 

Also, part mods tend to work across versions, so you can install them with little issue.

Edited by Darkona

21 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Kerbal Space Program 1.12: On Final Approach is packed with a great deal of content including a brand new ‘Slim’ suit inspired by the feats of the private aerospace sector industry, on-demand disconnecting struts, and rotating docking port collars, just to name a few. This update also includes many new requested features & quality of life additions to improve the user experience of KSP, such as a huge revamp to craft and game save loading menu-system, a large amount of wheel and landing leg improvements, and much more! Rejoice and explore the Kerbal universe once more… you might even encounter some of the new easter eggs and unlockable launch sites scattered around the solar system. Are you ready?

Let’s go through some of the update’s highlights below:

me NEEED

@TriggerAu could you publish "Example Usage" as https://triggerau.github.io/KerbalAlarmClock/api.html, but for the Alarm Clock App?

I couldn't figure out from the ksp/api/index how to iterate over AlarmClockScenario.Instance.alarms or how to get alarm by title. 

Spoiler

well, I have this, but probably there was expected some other approach

var enumerator = AlarmClockScenario.Instance.alarms.GetListEnumerator();

while (enumerator.MoveNext())
{
    Log(enumerator.Current.title);                  
}

Edited by flart

22 hours ago, EchoLima said:

Found some possible bugs.

Bug 1: When in the VAB, mousing over a parts PAW menu causes the part to disappear. This occurs only for a few parts, and only when it is the new root part. It happened with the Probodobodyne Rovemate and HECS 2.

Bug 2: The default KSP flag does not appear correctly on the Mk1-3 command pod.

Is anyone else seeing these?

I noticed the flag thing on the Mk1-3 pod.

I keep losing sound on the main engines as well, could be a mod conflict so I'll need to test it properly without mods.

11 hours ago, Gamera Obscura said:

Gravity has a major influence of the behavior of wheels because higher gravity means more frictional force to overcome to get moving. If the wheels seem stuck to the ground on Eve, it's likely because they _are_ due to the strength of Eve's gravity. Conversely, on a very small body like Gilly, the wheels should struggle to grip and you could probably drift all over the place or just spin your wheels and not even get anywhere...kinda like driving in snow.

I don't have a lot of experience with wheels in this game because I pretty much stuck to rockets and probes, but if their goal was to make wheels behave more realistically, I'm guessing that's what's going on.

Of course that all stands to reason, but what I meant was it seemed like the wheels were actually holding me to the ground when I was trying to take off.   Turns out that was not really happening, but rather that opening the ship  in the new version somehow changed the angle of my rotors  so they were no longer parallel to my fuselage, causing my propellers to apply their thrust at a somewhat downward angle, constantly pushing my nose down.  It's still flyable,  but just barely,  and it definitely had no such problem before the update.

My plane before update:

p5Lp0zZ.png

Note how all the propellers point straight forward. Pre-update, it looked just like that on the ground on Eve as well, I just don't have a screenshot. Now compare to my plane post-update:

Vc9K9Ab.png

xBMVXbw.png

You can see how the propellers now point more downwards, and in close-up how the rotors are now displaced and angled relative to the mounts. They're  not broken either, nor are they drooping from the high gravity, because neither the "hack gravity" nor the "fix repairable parts" cheats under alt-f12 did anything to fix them.  Sending my engineer out to rotate it back didn't work either, because it's too heavy.  Regardless, I would say that this is an actual bug in the update that borked my plane, so I would caution those who have big career games going in the previous version to finish any technically complex missions like this one before installing the update. Anyway, as to the wheel code, this feels just like the last time they revamped it, which is to say things that worked fine before now produce all kinds of bizarre behavior and phantom motion. Hopefully they will get that all worked out in the next patch.

@herbal space program there is now a cheat that lets engineers do things that are too heavy, so do that and then get the engineer to rotate the part.

* Implement cheats - Ignore Kerbal EVA Construction Mass Limit, Ignore Kerbal Inventory Volume/Mass Limit and Fix repairable parts.

Edited by MechBFP

1 hour ago, herbal space program said:

Of course that all stands to reason, but what I meant was it seemed like the wheels were actually holding me to the ground when I was trying to take off.   Turns out that was not really happening, but rather that opening the ship  in the new version somehow changed the angle of my rotors  so they were no longer parallel to my fuselage, causing my propellers to apply their thrust at a somewhat downward angle, constantly pushing my nose down.  It's still flyable,  but just barely,  and it definitely had no such problem before the update.

My plane before update:

p5Lp0zZ.png

Note how all the propellers point straight forward. Pre-update, it looked just like that on the ground on Eve as well, I just don't have a screenshot. Now compare to my plane post-update:

Vc9K9Ab.png

xBMVXbw.png

You can see how the propellers now point more downwards, and in close-up how the rotors are now displaced and angled relative to the mounts. They're  not broken either, nor are they drooping from the high gravity, because neither the "hack gravity" nor the "fix repairable parts" cheats under alt-f12 did anything to fix them.  Sending my engineer out to rotate it back didn't work either, because it's too heavy.  Regardless, I would say that this is an actual bug in the update that borked my plane, so I would caution those who have big career games going in the previous version to finish any technically complex missions like this one before installing the update. Anyway, as to the wheel code, this feels just like the last time they revamped it, which is to say things that worked fine before now produce all kinds of bizarre behavior and phantom motion. Hopefully they will get that all worked out in the next patch.

Is it possible that this is not due to 1.12, and you just got hit with the robotic drift bug?

10 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Is it possible that this is not due to 1.12, and you just got hit with the robotic drift bug?

I don't know.  Do you perhaps  have a link to a description of that? I have seen some strange behavior with the robotic parts, but never anything quite like this. FWIW,  I reloaded it several times in that situation in the previous version,  and while I'm not sure I would have noticed the rotor issue per se, it definitely seemed a lot more inclined to take off on several of those occasions, as I was rolling it around in search of rocks to scan, than it was when I ultimately tried to take off for real in 1.12.

39 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

@herbal space program there is now a cheat that lets engineers do things that are too heavy, so do that and then get the engineer to rotate the part.

* Implement cheats - Ignore Kerbal EVA Construction Mass Limit, Ignore Kerbal Inventory Volume/Mass Limit and Fix repairable parts.

That's cool, thanks! Alas when I checked it out, I was reminded that I would have to remove each and every fan blade and nosecone from my rotors individually before it would let me rotate them, and then of course replace them all.  With 10 rotors and 40  blades, I don't think I quite have the patience for that. :/     Also, it seemed that the angle snap tool on the one rotor I did try it on was messed up, so that it would not snap to a straight placement in either local or absolute mode, which was definitely not the case in the SPH.  At this point I think my easiest means of continuing to play as if this hadn't happened will be for me to make another uncorrupted copy of that plane with a probe core in it,  teleport it in right next to the messed-up version, use EVA repair to transplant the old science container to the new vessel, and then teleport the old one back to the KSC to recoup my funds. I just hope none of my other fancy ships with robotic parts do the same thing when I switch to them!

i posted 2 findings in the wrong thread :(. links below.

i love the update but the alarm clock is way off with transfer windows. it was 100d too late for the perfect return from duna to kerbin. i had to do massive corrections.

and the maneuver creator doesnt take the first possible window. also when you try to go from kerbin to mun. you have 1 transfer slot every orbit but it took one 2days ahead. that was a bit strange. and it was not a direct transfer it went to mun but then i had to do one extra orbit for the encounter (see screenshots in linked post below).

thats a bit strange TBH. but its the correct direction just needs some tweeks that we can trust on this 2 really usefull gadgets.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/203252-kerbal-space-program-112-on-final-approach-is-now-available/&tab=comments#comment-3994567

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/203252-kerbal-space-program-112-on-final-approach-is-now-available/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-3994878

I found a bug *:

When I set an alarm for a ship's maneuver node, it only works while the ship is in focus!
If I go to KSC, the alarm doesn't work! Time doesn't even pass in the alarm indicator...
This bug only seems to happen on maneuver alarms! Manual or transfer window alarms seem to work fine!

* Hope this is a bug, not a feature!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.