Kerbal Space Program 1.12: "On Final Approach" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

Am I the only one whose (wheeled) bases and rovers started gliding all over their respective surfaces after that latest update?
Tried all the wheel options but nothing stops the glide.
Using an existing save from just before the update.

*update*

Seemed to be a case of the new wheel friction code in combination with SAS being on resulting in wheels not having any effect. Increasing friction and turning off SAS seems to be the way to go now.

Why is the default friction set to 0.7 though? Turn Mun surface into oiled glass.

Edited by lemming1
updated info

1 hour ago, lemming1 said:

Am I the only one whose (wheeled) bases and rovers started gliding all over their respective surfaces after that latest update?
Tried all the wheel options but nothing stops the glide.
Using an existing save from just before the update.

The wheels on my Eve plane were definitely completely different when I loaded it in the new version. On mine they spontaneously started shaking with a very high frequency as the plane turned down the hill and started sliding. I was able to make it stop in my case by increasing the brake strength and manual friction control  while lowering the damper strength.  There's still less traction than there was before, but in my case that was a good thing.

In other news @KerikBalm  and @MechBFP, I figured out a totally simple solution to my rotor angle corruption problem, which in retrospect I should have thought of before:   the way it is now,  the plane actually flies pretty well upside down !  :D  Thanks nonetheless for your suggestions!

2UMFRPt.png

Overall looks like a pretty good final update, definitely glad to see the focus on bugfixes and quality of life improvements, which is exactly what a final update should be doing.

Kind of disappointed that the devs never quite finished rounding out the parts catalog to fill in some of the missing parts in certain rocket sizes, fixed career mode or implemented some kind of life support system to balance kerballed missions against probes.

Still, very thankful for the amount of free support KSP has received for the past several years and really happy overall with how the new devs have handled the game.

Now that the game is basically stable, I can't wait to see the amazing mods the community will put together and we won't have to worry about future updates breaking them.

22 hours ago, herbal space program said:

I don't know.  Do you perhaps  have a link to a description of that? I have seen some strange behavior with the robotic parts, but never anything quite like this. 

I have had parts attached at funky angles, and displaced with robotics pre-1.12.

I recall from another thread that you sometimes quick save in flight with high aero stresses?

Perhaps that is linked?

I really want the robotic drift bug fixed....

Nice update, no major bugs ive found, and FINALLY we get stock weapons (which are damn well balanced, they dont render the old stock weapons useless as they are weaker, but they provide excellent bang for the part counts involved to bring them).  These are massive performance improvements general though since i can finally ditch short range SRMs on smaller craft and even larger ones, a single part with 32 shots vs 5 parts with a single shot, no brainer despite the somewhat mediocre damage these things do based on initial tests...

i2XSA3S.png

Zbp8D3D.png

we have fully working particle cannons, and the best part is that they arent even overpowered, just enough damage to be useable even against a capital ship, but it wont utterly vaporize the hull provided it has some armor plating on the core.

JqjNd4C.png

now this really looks like lore pulse cannon fire closer to what i always imagined it in universe (AKS was normally firing black orbs with purple glow on exterior as their short ranged firepower not yellow glowing rockets).

iTZ0K7D.png

a bit of a delayed reaction, will need to tweak the explosion delays and such...

KFKCyyX.png

damage is there, but best of all its actually reasonable for something that is so low part count and doesnt nullify the benefits of heavier shipkiller SRMs (and doesnt even come close to heavy torpedo damage).  Probably my number one use of this is for fighters though, where having large quantity of weak bullets beats carrying masively powerful SRMs that tend to evicerate another fighter sized target in a single shot (now i can get drawn out fights with these things and not be screwed with ammo count issues on anything that isnt over 100 parts)....

Now, if i could only find some serious time to spend on gaming (real life is a nightmare for me right now), ill have to see if there is any method to armor against these scary things as a fighter :)...

hopefully this doesnt get patched, its a really neat "unintended" feature that makes the game way more enjoyable imo...

Edited by panzer1b

14 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

I have had parts attached at funky angles, and displaced with robotics pre-1.12.

I recall from another thread that you sometimes quick save in flight with high aero stresses?

Perhaps that is linked?

I really want the robotic drift bug fixed....

I did quicksave that plane under high aerodynamic stress, and then had to invoke "unbreakable joints" in alt-F12 to avoid it breaking up on reloading. But at the same time I'm pretty sure that my weird rotor displacement didn't happen because of that, because as I was driving around looking for rocks to scan, the plane was already starting to take off at ~30 m/s and would pitch up easily, which is normal behavior based on my sandbox testing. After the update is when I first noticed it didn't want to take off anymore. Anyway, due to 1.12 or not, I want them to fix it too!

...So I went and looked at what it said there, and it sure does sound similar! Except that I also quicksaved/quickloaded  a number of times while flying upside down, which reverses all the stresses, and it didn't change anything. Maybe it is something that only happens sporadically?

Edited by herbal space program

1 hour ago, herbal space program said:

So I went and looked at what it said there, and it sure does sound similar! Except that I also quicksaved/quickloaded  a number of times while flying upside down, which reverses all the stresses, and it didn't change anything. Maybe it is something that only happens sporadically?

Well, I have had it happen to me, and it is sporadic even if reproducible.

Even flying inverted, was it the same velocity, air density, pulling the same g's, etc...

I think there is a reproducible way to cause it, but there are many variables, and its not easy to reverse

Holy.... I am extremely confused. Four tools, four results.

h6EZ4RD.jpg

First one made with new alarm clock app.
Second made with maneuver tool. On nearly circular orbit, but that shouldn't matter.
Third made with good ol' Transfer window planner
Four made with the transfer tool built into Alarm clock mod.

Edited by The Aziz

Is anyone else having issues that make the update essentially unplayable? I'm only able to enter some of the buildings and I'm unable to leave. No ability to access the tracking station, VAB, or launchpad so I can't build or launch anything? I'm been trying to find anyone else with the issue and can't find a fix. 

2 hours ago, mun mun said:

Is anyone else having issues that make the update essentially unplayable? I'm only able to enter some of the buildings and I'm unable to leave. No ability to access the tracking station, VAB, or launchpad so I can't build or launch anything? I'm been trying to find anyone else with the issue and can't find a fix. 

Do you have the DLCs? If so reinstall/update them

3 hours ago, mun mun said:

Disable “tidy up KSC debris “ in the options at the main menu when you first start the game before loading a save. No idea why but it is helping people with this issue. 

7 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

I actually removed a couple of no longer needed mods for 1.12.

They did it for you, lol.

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Holy.... I am extremely confused. Four tools, four results.

U R so impatient...

"Kerbal Space Program 1.12: On Final Approach is now available on Steam and will soon be available on GOG and other third-party resellers. You will also be able to download it from the KSP Store if you already own the game." 

I couldn't find it on Steam or the KSP store. Is it list under some other name other than On Final Approach?

Hi, I've just downloaded the latest version of KSP, and I try to launch the game since 3 hours but it wont start, it's constantly loading since 30 minutes and the loading indicator does not move at all. Did anyone have the same trouble with this update ? 

2 hours ago, polarbair said:

"Kerbal Space Program 1.12: On Final Approach is now available on Steam and will soon be available on GOG and other third-party resellers. You will also be able to download it from the KSP Store if you already own the game." 

I couldn't find it on Steam or the KSP store. Is it list under some other name other than On Final Approach?

Personally on Steam it just showed the update button on the game page. 

1 hour ago, SpaceDreamer said:

Hi, I've just downloaded the latest version of KSP, and I try to launch the game since 3 hours but it wont start, it's constantly loading since 30 minutes and the loading indicator does not move at all. Did anyone have the same trouble with this update ? 

Verify files in steam. Also remove any mods you have installed. If you don’t know how to remove mods then just make sure your “GameData” folder in the “Kerbal Space Program” folder only has “Squad” and “SquadExpansion” folders in it. Delete everything else as those are mod related. 

2 hours ago, SpaceDreamer said:

I had this problem, turns out it was mods  (EVE / SVE) causing it.

Is anyone else having issues with the new release?  I cannot quick-save and I cannot move around the space center, etc.  I click on any of the locations in the space center and nothing happens.  It doesn't take me to the tracking center, VAB, etc.  It looks like a nice upgrade if it would work.

4 hours ago, dapelleg said:

Is anyone else having issues with the new release?  I cannot quick-save and I cannot move around the space center, etc.  I click on any of the locations in the space center and nothing happens.  It doesn't take me to the tracking center, VAB, etc.  It looks like a nice upgrade if it would work.

You need to uncheck the "Tidy up debris near KSC" in the general settings. Look some posts above ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.