Kerbal Space Program 1.12: "On Final Approach" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

12 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I returned to KSP today only to quit it a few hours later out of frustration with the broken physics and poor performance. I just hope KSP 2 has  the sense to make wheels more viable than literally rolling the craft.

Every time Squad says it's fixed the wheels, what it really means is that it's broken them differently.  There have been several bug reports about this, so hopefully they will fix it in the version that they'll release when KSP 1.12 is actually ready rather than this ambitious but hasty pudding prepared for  the 10th anniversary of the original release.  I was in the middle of a sprawling late career game when I installed the update, and there is stuff broken all over the place now.  The new maneuver node/ transfer planning feature doesn't seem to work at all either, although that doesn't really matter to me.

Edited by herbal space program

8 hours ago, herbal space program said:
20 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I returned to KSP today only to quit it a few hours later out of frustration with the broken physics and poor performance. I just hope KSP 2 has  the sense to make wheels more viable than literally rolling the craft.

Every time Squad says it's fixed the wheels, what it really means is that it's broken them differently.  There have been several bug reports about this, so hopefully they will fix it in the version that they'll release when KSP 1.12 is actually ready rather than this ambitious but hasty pudding prepared for  the 10th anniversary of the original release.  I was in the middle of a sprawling late career game when I installed the update, and there is stuff broken all over the place now.  The new maneuver node/ transfer planning feature doesn't seem to work at all either, although that doesn't really matter to me.

Yeah, I don't want to be a party pooper but the only thing I've been looking forward to in the KSP community is KSP 2. Minecraft as passed its 10th anniversary as well and 1.17 runs just as well, if not better, than all previous versions, yet KSP 1 has yet to get a vanilla implementation of 'don't load every single asset in the game at startup' - that would save an incredible amount of RAM which has been a major bottleneck telling from my, and others', experiences with KSP 1.

First time poster here. We recently installed the new 1.12.1 update and are now encountering all sorts of issues. I apologize if these issues have been address here already but not sure where to look in the forums.

1. It now fails to load the Making History expansion pack (in fact it apparently fails to load all expansion packs) at startup.

2.  It won't let us place certain parts when building vehicles in the vehicle assembly building any more.

So we have lost many parts and we also can't even build rockets now. It's really frustrating. Can anyone here help us resolve any of these issues?

• 3 weeks later...

Want to point out there seems to be an unfortunate bug in this newest release regarding physics: on Eve (and also on mod planets with high surface gravities), a walking kerbal, going uphill, will easily sink into the surface and then explode from clipping, making it effectively impossible to explore on foot. I think this bug has been there since more than one middle-number version ago, at least 1.11, if not before. It is not a problem on light gravity worlds though.

Edited by shimmy00

1.12 looks sick! Gonna have to update KSP as fast as I can! I'm glad the devs are adding more solar panels!                     

EDIT: "...last major update of KSP before KSP2 hits the shelves next year." Wait, does this mean no more updates for KSP1?  If it is, then I'm sad. If it's not, then I'm still happy!

Edited by KSPBaron145
Had to ask something.

I think I found a bug...I need to test more to make sure, but thought I'd see if anyone else has seen this. 

I have a mission to place a radiator on an aging satellite.  I get my ship within 3 meters of the target, and have 0 relative velocity in each axis. I get my engineer on EVA, but as soon as I start to climb my ship to get close enough to the satellite, the ship starts to accelerate, and I'm talking 10 to 15m/s! Its as if the entire ship is accelerating along the Z axis (i.e the direction the kerbal is trying to crawl/climb) due to the W button. 

5 hours ago, Michel Bartolone said:

I think I found a bug...I need to test more to make sure, but thought I'd see if anyone else has seen this. 

I have a mission to place a radiator on an aging satellite.  I get my ship within 3 meters of the target, and have 0 relative velocity in each axis. I get my engineer on EVA, but as soon as I start to climb my ship to get close enough to the satellite, the ship starts to accelerate, and I'm talking 10 to 15m/s! Its as if the entire ship is accelerating along the Z axis (i.e the direction the kerbal is trying to crawl/climb) due to the W button. 

Yep, I was able to do it repeatedly. I had thought it was the addition of the Wwwwwww mod, but I removed that, and relaunched the mission. I get to the satellite, move in so I'm about 3 meters away go EVA, and as soon as the engineer gets outside of the ship, I'm travelling 7+ m/s in the Z axis, and reverse RCS thrust doesn't even slow me down at all, and no I am not trying to use the EVA'd kerbal's jetpack to slow the ship...I switched into the ship and can't get the Z axis motion to slowdown unless I flip the ship around and kick on the engine. I get back to the satellite, creep up to it again, I'm about 1 meter from the satallite in the Y axis, 3 meters in the Z axis, 0 in the x-axis, and my velocities relative to the target are 0.00 m/s and the velocity difference is less than 0.05 m/s. Again my engineer goes EVA, and the ship started accelerating in the Z-axis AND the Y axis (away from the satellite).

On 8/11/2021 at 10:23 AM, Michel Bartolone said:

Yep, I was able to do it repeatedly. I had thought it was the addition of the Wwwwwww mod, but I removed that, and relaunched the mission. I get to the satellite, move in so I'm about 3 meters away go EVA, and as soon as the engineer gets outside of the ship, I'm travelling 7+ m/s in the Z axis, and reverse RCS thrust doesn't even slow me down at all, and no I am not trying to use the EVA'd kerbal's jetpack to slow the ship...I switched into the ship and can't get the Z axis motion to slowdown unless I flip the ship around and kick on the engine. I get back to the satellite, creep up to it again, I'm about 1 meter from the satallite in the Y axis, 3 meters in the Z axis, 0 in the x-axis, and my velocities relative to the target are 0.00 m/s and the velocity difference is less than 0.05 m/s. Again my engineer goes EVA, and the ship started accelerating in the Z-axis AND the Y axis (away from the satellite).

Sounds kind of like a kraken drive. Do you have anything near your exit hatch? Upload a craft file.

Speaking of aging satellite contracts, I really like them! I love the idea of servicing other spacecraft, adding reaction wheels and/or batteries, etc. It's one of my favorite mission types now and it makes the Kerbal system feel more alive and realistic.

I asked in the thread for the mod but i want to ask here as well. Does anyone know if procedural fairings still works in this version of ksp? I am sorry to ask it here but im trying to find an answer but keep coming up goose eggs ;.;

i know for some stock fairings are perfectly ok, but for me, they are no good. Never have liked them so i never used them. If proc fairings do not work in their current iteration with the newest version of ksp it will break a bunch of ships. I am frankly afraid to load ksp or my save file until i know its safe. 

Edited by AlamoVampire

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

I asked in the thread for the mod but i want to ask here as well. Does anyone know if procedural fairings still works in this version of ksp? I am sorry to ask it here but im trying to find an answer but keep coming up goose eggs ;.;

i know for some stock fairings are perfectly ok, but for me, they are no good. Never have liked them so i never used them. If proc fairings do not work in their current iteration with the newest version of ksp it will break a bunch of ships. I am frankly afraid to load ksp or my save file until i know its safe. 

Haven’t tried it but the new version (PF 6.1) might work on 1.12. Again, haven’t tried. 

On 7/13/2021 at 1:14 AM, herbal space program said:

Every time Squad says it's fixed the wheels, what it really means is that it's broken them differently.

Squad has never heard the addage 'don't fix it if it isn't broken'. Wheels pre-suspension were fine, but after that the physics got progressively worse and now we're stuck with duct tape workarounds - like the recent fine-tuned steering at high speeds. I don't get why wheels were never reverted or why there aren't any mods (to my knowledge) that do that, but for the time being we'll have to deal with wonky physics, Kerbals phasing through wheels and ships blowing up instantly on touchdown with the runway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.