Minmus orbit achieved; Now can I set up a Communication Network?

Hi KSP colleagues,

I am still quite new to this amazing KSP game.  But I am happy to report that I have now achieved Minmus orbit.  May I show you this screenshot which illustrates my orbiting spacecraft, and on the bottom right you can see Kerbin along with Mun to the lower right of Kerbin.

FhywrUF.jpg

At this point, I would please like to ask this not very well formulated question, if I may.

From my newly established Minmus orbit, I would like to set up a Communications Network.  How can I do that, if it is possible to do?

I normally ask very solid, precise questions.  Here I am not exactly sure what I am asking.  I have heard of KSP Communication Networks, but I am still not sure what they are and how to set one up.

Thank you for your consideration.

Stanley

First, you have to have the right technology unlocked. To set up a communications network, you need a relay antenna. Only half of the antennas in the parts bin are capable of relay (it says in their description whether they are or not). The antenna on the craft in your picture is indeed a relay antenna.

This relay antenna needs to be attached to a craft that has some power, and control ability. Generally, you can get power and control ability from a single probe core (as long as you leave the craft alone). Then you need to leave that craft with the relay antenna permanently orbiting somewhere. If you want your current craft to land, and you want your relay antenna in orbit, that means you need to detach one from the other with a decoupler, or some other method.

To judge whether your communication network will actually function, you need to understand that all antennas have maximum communication ranges. Range = sqrt(antenna_power1 * antenna_power2). Kerbin has a network of extremely powerful communication dishes on the surface.

So you can either calculate the range, or just do an experiment to see if the range will be enough with the antenna you have. You also need to know if you want perfect coverage, or if you are OK with the concept of sometimes losing communication contact. Setting up a network with permanent coverage is much more difficult than just putting one comsat in orbit.

Hi @bewing or anyone else,

I don't want to bother you.  But please let me ask this.  I just don't understand where to start.

• So the antenna on my spacecraft is a relay antenna.  That's good.
  • And I am glad to keep my craft in permanent orbit.

However, to whom do I send a message?  How do I send a message?  What do I say?

Once I get started, then I should be able to figure out a lot of things.

Thank you for your consideration.

Stanley

Are you in career mode? Science mode? Or sandbox?

In career and science mode, there are two main times when you need "connectivity". One is to pilot an automated craft (with a probe core). If you lose connectivity, you will lose some or all of your piloting ability.

The other time is when you have some science and you want to send it home via radio. Crew reports and EVA reports are extreme cases of this -- however, it's a good idea to take two copies of almost every science report. Transmit one home via radio, and then drag the second copy physically all the way back to Kerbin. If you don't have connectivity, you can't transmit science.

Edited by bewing

On 6/24/2021 at 5:22 AM, MetricKerbalist said:

However, to whom do I send a message?  How do I send a message?  What do I say?

Not really sure I'm understanding this correctly, but the purpose of the comm network is, essentially, probe control. If you have a functioning commnet, you don't have to mount huge antennas on every craft, and it enables you to communicate with your craft when it's not in line of sight with Kerbin.

you don't, and can't, 'send messages' to anyone saying 'hi this is MetricKerbalist reporting from Laythe' or something like that:0.0:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.