The first thing I did when 1.12 dropped was compulsively organize every single one of my craft into folders.

For YEARS now, all the developmental versions of craft have been endlessly clogging up my SPH and VAB, with no real way to organize them. I could have installed mods, sure, but I was wary of them because the last time I tried to install BD Armory, then got bored and deleted the BD Armory folder, I had to mess around with KSP's files to actually get it to work again.

All in all, I feel this is my favorite part of the entire update!

At last I can clog up my SPH and VAB with folders, instead of craft! :D

I have so many craft in my SPH, the game stalls for a moment, or sometimes almost a minute, when I click Open. ;) I build a lot when my health isn't good enough for accurate piloting and the craft just build up. Got some junk, some craft development revisions (especially for the really weird designs), a few bug tests, and some surprisingly fun planes. (It's super-easy to build planes in KSP if you've got a very basic grounding in planes and aerodynamics plus just a little practice. I'm really happy about that. Oh hey, OP's title: More of an Atmosphery Guy; nice!) I haven't had time to look at the folders yet, but I'm super-happy KSP has finally got this basic feature (*cough cough chuckle*) and very much look forward to using it.

I feel into the habit early on of having 10+ iterations of all my crafts and starting every with of them with a '01' to pull them above all the stock grafts. It wasn't long until I'm endlessly scrolling the tiny list window every time I'd enter VAB/SPH and lose my place on the list. This is a huge blessing improving the gameplay and I can't wait to folder them all neatly finally!

On 6/24/2021 at 8:20 PM, LasagnaLicker said:

I'm kinda confused on how to use the folders....any help you can give?

Hello @LasagnaLicker and welcome to the KSP forums.

I haven't had time to explore it much yet. But it looks like you first use the "Open" button to bring up the craft loading window. You can then:

• Highlight a currently existing folder on the left side of the window
  • Choose "New Folder" at the bottom
  • Create all the new folders you want, and they can be nested within each other depending on which folder you have highlighted when the new ones are created

Then, once you have set up the folders:

• Select a craft you want to move and press the "Load" button which will open it in the editor
  • Then hover your cursor over the lowermost portion of the "Save" button and a drop-down list will unfold to show you your existing folders.
  • Click the radio-button in that drop down list to select a folder and then click "Save"

This will save a duplicate copy of that vessel in that folder. You will have to go back into the "Open" craft menu to then select and delete the original craft file from the default folder if you want to.

I haven't found a way to drag-and-drop craft between folders, or to duplicate craft files from within the menu in game. However, you can create the folders and move the craft files directly from outside of KSP using your operating system file folders (while KSP is not running, preferably.) If you want to do this you can look in your KSP directory under "KSP_win64\saves\*the name of your sandbox or career save*\Ships" with folders nested under both the "SPH" and "VAB" categories.

2 hours ago, LasagnaLicker said:

I wish it was just drag-and-drop in the game, would make things a whole lot easier

Agreed. I always used the Craft Manager mod which has more functionality including moving/copying craft, adding tags, and the ability to rename vessels and folders which is very much lacking in the new stock file manager. It's also really bugging me that the drop down list for what folder you are saving to reverts back to the "default" folder after you revert to the VAB. I usually reverted because I need to make changes, and I need to save those changes to the same craft file in the same folder I was just working with. Frustrating.

I'm still going to work with this new stock system for a while to see if I can get used to it before trying the mod again. I also just went through and organized all my craft into folders after importing my old save.

Edited by HvP

This is one of the features I am most happy about, that I can actually get to use!

I tend to build as such: SR-1, SR-1A, SR-1B, SR-1C, so on and so forth with each variant created only when a new tech (like being able to place 1 fuel tank instead of two) shows up. All of the SR-1s are single stage "test" rockets.

SR-2 tends to be my either getting out of the atmosphere rocket, or getting very close to it.

SR-3 tends to be my first orbital vehicle.

But SR is just a Sounding Rocket prefix. Once I confirm SR-3 is orbital capable, I usually save it again at OV-1, Orbital Vehicle One.

Then of course you get into destinations, so first SR-4 would evolve into MR-1 for my first Moon shoot, usually just a fly by.

Then I break them down into ever smaller subsections. Like SR-3(Sci)/OV-1(Sci) which would be my Orbital Vehicle with a Science Junior Module attached.

I have always played Career mode, so making efficient designs is a must. Just because I have all the early Science modules doesn't mean I can 1: Afford them all, or 2: Meet the weight requirement or parts limit of the early game.

Being able to organize them into separate folders is an absolute Godsend that I would have never even thought to ask for!

I've even been known to tamper with an NCC prefix, for obvious true nerd reasons.:lol:

It's easier to manage those through a file explorer. Just create folders and drag craft files into them. The game will read them. 

Because if you do it in game, you're left with duplicates in main folder and you have to delete them manually. Too much work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.