Stuck on "loading part upgrades 1.12

Title says it all.   Can't find a thread talking about this, so thought I'd give it a shot.     Splash screen is up, but it's been 3 hours on the first attempt to get past "loading part upgrades".

Uninstalled and tried again, still no progress.    Is it just that slow of a download?    Just that big of an upgrade?     In 10 years, never had it sit and churn like it is today.

Any input/help would be apprecitated!

Thanks.

gtmex, going to guess it's an issue on our end.    Been with this game the whole 10 years, and not once has the blame fallen on KSP.     I'm working on 6 hours of letting it churn,  and I'm okay with that.   It will sort itself out, or someone will give us an idea of what we can do.   

That said,....nice job over the years KSP!   Thanks.

Mines doing the same - was fine last night, not changed anything.  Was about to do  fresh install and try again but sounds like  you've  tried that.  Anyone got any thoughts, this is pretty game killing!

If you have any mods installed that may be the problem I just took all of my mods out of my game data folder and I was able to start the game so just take them all out and add them in one by one and see which ones are compatible and which ones you need to wait for an update on.

3 hours ago, Lanzelet said:

Ok... I just emptied the GameData Folder with all the mods and now it is loading as it should.

So it was in fact a mod with my KSP...

Found out, it was the "Kerbal Inventory System (KIS)" Mod. Without it, Startup works fine.

Yep.   Thought about it last night, and realized most of my mods will be broken with the update and would need to be reinstalled when they get updated to 1.12. 

Should have thought of that right from the start.    Mods deleted, game installs in a snap!

I had the same problem, and found that not only KIS, but also Surface Lights and Warp Plugin mods caused the same problem.  

I'm curious ... what happens if you have a ship in action and the mod that supplies some of it's parts (such as Surface Lights and Warp Plugin) is no longer present? I see the warning message when loading that particular game, but I've not had the courage to proceed. Does the ship disappear? Explode? Have a whole where the part was?

Edited by maddog59

I unsubscribed from all workshop content for ksp, I then went into the kerbal space program folder then GameData.  In this folder, I deleted every folder that wasn't "Squad" or "Squad Expansion".  Then re-launched KSP.  It loaded for me.  

I hope this helps.

Edited by cronoodle

I was having the exact same issue. I deleted several mods and isolated which mod prevented my screen from progressing:

- Surface Lights

The mods I have that are still working are as follows:

-KAS / KIS / MechJeb / Engineer / Hull Cameras / Chatter / MK1 Hatch / Scan Sat / EVA transfer / Easy Vessel Switch.

Bit of a minor mod so Im not too worried. However, I managed to put these surface lights on just about every craft I own...... ah well lol. Hope this helped!

6 hours ago, Galli27 said:

I was having the exact same issue. I deleted several mods and isolated which mod prevented my screen from progressing:

- Surface Lights

The mods I have that are still working are as follows:

-KAS / KIS / MechJeb / Engineer / Hull Cameras / Chatter / MK1 Hatch / Scan Sat / EVA transfer / Easy Vessel Switch.

Interesting that so many people seem to be getting different results. KSP won't run for me if I have MJ2, KIS, or Surface Lights installed, but it does for you with just Surface Lights removed.  

The common denominator here isn’t a specific mod, it’s that you’ve all put mods in the Steam controlled copy of KSP, then updated the game. It seems to me that every other thread in “tech support- modded” has trouble with their game not loading, again after putting mods in the Steam controlled copy of KSP, then in many cases updating the game.

See the pattern here?

Don’t put mods in the Steam controlled copy of KSP!

Instead, leave the Steam copy of KSP completely unmodded to get game updates, then when you want to put mods into KSP, copy and paste KSP out of the Steam folders and put mods in the new copy- Steam can’t touch it so it can’t auto-update or ‘help’ by trying to cloud save and end up mangling mods.

You can have as many copies of KSP as you like, on different game versions and with different mods- CKAN is designed specifically for this, I have ten different copies of KSP across six different versions, from 1.7.3 all the way to 1.12 and all with different sets of mods- but my Steam copy of KSP sits there with no mods at all, dutifully accumulating game updates as and when they appear without breaking anything.

Try this to solve your “KSP won’t load” woes:

1. Copy your save games and store them safely out of Steam’s reach e.g. desktop;
  2. Remove all mods, leaving only the Squad (and SquadExpansion if you have either/both DLCs) folders inside KSP/GameData;
  3. Disable Steam cloud syncing for KSP;
  4. Optional- change game version if you want a specific version of KSP e.g. 1.11.2;
  5. Verify the KSP local files;
  6. Load the stock game to ensure it works;
  7. Copy KSP entirely and paste it somewhere out of Steam’s folders, add mods and save games and fire that up to make sure it works;
  8. Never put mods in the Steam copy of KSP again! Use it as a blank slate and any time you want to create a new modded copy of KSP, copy it then add mods to the new copy instead.

7 hours ago, theleg said:

For me, 

is causing the problem.

Please explain what is going wrong.  Simply saying that something isn't working doesn't mean that it's broken, this mod has been working well in 1.12, most likely your issue is something else.

I suggest you read the post above this, and then read my signature before asking for help or making statements like this:

Read this BEFORE asking for supporthttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

I would suggest the following:

1. Copy your save games and store them safely out of Steam’s reach e.g. desktop;
  2. Remove all mods, leaving only the Squad (and SquadExpansion if you have either/both DLCs) folders inside KSP/GameData;
  3. Use Steam to open the local directory:
    1. In Steam:
    2. right-click on the game,
    3. Select Properties
    4. Click the "Local Files" tab
    5. Click Browse
  4. Now, delete ALL files (after doing step #1)
  5. Tell Steam to reverify the files, it will download and install all the files again
  6. Test
Edited by linuxgurugamer

54 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please explain what is going wrong.  Simply saying that something isn't working doesn't mean that it's broken, this mod has been working well in 1.12, most likely your issue is something else.

I suggest you read the post above this, and then read my signature before asking for help or making statements like this:

Read this BEFORE asking for supporthttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

1. In Steam:
    3. Select Properties
    5. Click Browse
  5. Tell Steam to reverify the files, it will download and install all the files again
  6. Test

Okay, let me explain. I used [x]Science! with my other 60-70 mods, and it got stuck on 'loading part upgrades' immediately after start. So, since I install all my mods with ckan,  I reinstalled KSP (I don't use steam), and added them one-by-one. I figured out that without [x]Science!, it started loading, and did not get stuck. So I thought about posting what worked for me on this thread.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

this mod has been working well in 1.12

Now, I don't disagree with you. But, since it is not working for me, I come up with these conclusions:

1. I am running KSP on Ubuntu. So it is possible that this doesn't get stuck on windows, but it does get stuck on Linux.

2. Since I play with lot of mods installed, it might be due to mods which conflict with [x]Science!.

2 hours ago, theleg said:

Okay, let me explain. I used [x]Science! with my other 60-70 mods, and it got stuck on 'loading part upgrades' immediately after start. So, since I install all my mods with ckan,  I reinstalled KSP (I don't use steam), and added them one-by-one. I figured out that without [x]Science!, it started loading, and did not get stuck. So I thought about posting what worked for me on this thread.

Now, I don't disagree with you. But, since it is not working for me, I come up with these conclusions:

1. I am running KSP on Ubuntu. So it is possible that this doesn't get stuck on windows, but it does get stuck on Linux.

2. Since I play with lot of mods installed, it might be due to mods which conflict with [x]Science!.

And yet, after this explanation, you STILL haven't provided a log file.

Did you read this:

Edited by linuxgurugamer

8 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

The common denominator here isn’t a specific mod, it’s that you’ve all put mods in the Steam controlled copy of KSP, then updated the game. It seems to me that every other thread in “tech support- modded” has trouble with their game not loading, again after putting mods in the Steam controlled copy of KSP, then in many cases updating the game.

See the pattern here?

Don’t put mods in the Steam controlled copy of KSP!

Instead, leave the Steam copy of KSP completely unmodded to get game updates, then when you want to put mods into KSP, copy and paste KSP out of the Steam folders and put mods in the new copy- Steam can’t touch it so it can’t auto-update or ‘help’ by trying to cloud save and end up mangling mods.

You can have as many copies of KSP as you like, on different game versions and with different mods- CKAN is designed specifically for this, I have ten different copies of KSP across six different versions, from 1.7.3 all the way to 1.12 and all with different sets of mods- but my Steam copy of KSP sits there with no mods at all, dutifully accumulating game updates as and when they appear without breaking anything.

Try this to solve your “KSP won’t load” woes:

3. Disable Steam cloud syncing for KSP;
  4. Optional- change game version if you want a specific version of KSP e.g. 1.11.2;
  5. Verify the KSP local files;
  6. Load the stock game to ensure it works;
  7. Copy KSP entirely and paste it somewhere out of Steam’s folders, add mods and save games and fire that up to make sure it works;
  8. Never put mods in the Steam copy of KSP again! Use it as a blank slate and any time you want to create a new modded copy of KSP, copy it then add mods to the new copy instead.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

1. In Steam:
    3. Select Properties
    5. Click Browse
  6. Test

Attempted this and Im still having the same issue and none of the mods ppl have listed are in my modlist. Works fine if I remove all of my mods but its time consuming trying to figure out which mod out of massive list I have. For context this is my mostlist if ppl are interested: https://imgur.com/4zvTJbv (and yes I checked if MJ2 was an issue and it still gives the error without it so thats a no for me)

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Did you read this:

Ill attempt to comb through the logs its alot
Edit: I think I found it here it is:
[EXC 14:22:13.904] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    GameDatabase.CleanupLoaders () (at <a5c262f7fe724eb9918d4487db8b635e>:0)
    GameDatabase+<CreateDatabase>d__71.MoveNext () (at <a5c262f7fe724eb9918d4487db8b635e>:0)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)

Edited by Starslinger999

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Did you read this:

Last few lines of player log:

Spoiler

Resource MonoPropellant added to database 
(Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

Resource XenonGas added to database 

Resource ElectricCharge added to database 

Resource IntakeAir added to database 

Resource EVA Propellant added to database 

Resource Ore added to database 

Resource Ablator added to database 

Resource Snacks added to database 

Resource Soil added to database 

Resource restock-low-grip added to database 

Resource restock-medium-grip added to database 

Resource restock-high-grip added to database 

Resource restock-extreme-grip added to database 

Resource MediumGrip added to database 

Resource HighGrip added to database 

Resource ExtremeGrip added to database 

Resource LowGrip added to database 

Resource Default added to database 

CodeAssetLoader: Compiling all code assets 

ExperienceSystemConfig: Added Effect 'DeployedSciencePowerSkill' to Trait '#autoLOC_500103' 

ExperienceSystemConfig: Added Effect 'DeployedScienceExpSkill' to Trait '#autoLOC_500105' 

Uploading Crash Report
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at GameDatabase.CleanupLoaders () [0x00000] in <aaf41dd1ee6048d78d73af0eb6ffa814>:0 
  at GameDatabase+<CreateDatabase>d__71.MoveNext () [0x0022a] in <aaf41dd1ee6048d78d73af0eb6ffa814>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00026] in <2425394cf09642369e2109953e31f62b>:0 

(Filename: <aaf41dd1ee6048d78d73af0eb6ffa814> Line: 0)

Setting up 4 worker threads for Enlighten.
  Thread -> id: 7f681a7f7700 -> priority: 1 
  Thread -> id: 7f687b28c700 -> priority: 1 
  Thread -> id: 7f6875046700 -> priority: 1 
  Thread -> id: 7f6872ad1700 -> priority: 1 

Last few lines of the KSP.log:

Spoiler

[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource N2F4 added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource Nitrogen added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource NitrousOxide added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource NTO added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource OF2 added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource PBAN added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource Pentaborane added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource PSPC added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource Syntin added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource TEATEB added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource Tonka250 added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource Tonka500 added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource UDMH added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource UH25 added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource Glykerol added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.512] Resource FusionPellets added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource MJPropellant added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource LiquidFuel added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource Oxidizer added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource SolidFuel added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource MonoPropellant added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource XenonGas added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource ElectricCharge added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource IntakeAir added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource EVA Propellant added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource Ore added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource Ablator added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource Snacks added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.513] Resource Soil added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.516] Resource restock-low-grip added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.516] Resource restock-medium-grip added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.516] Resource restock-high-grip added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.516] Resource restock-extreme-grip added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.516] Resource MediumGrip added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.516] Resource HighGrip added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.516] Resource ExtremeGrip added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.516] Resource LowGrip added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.516] Resource Default added to database
[LOG 09:45:11.516] CodeAssetLoader: Compiling all code assets
[LOG 09:45:11.525] ExperienceSystemConfig: Added Effect 'DeployedSciencePowerSkill' to Trait '#autoLOC_500103'
[LOG 09:45:11.525] ExperienceSystemConfig: Added Effect 'DeployedScienceExpSkill' to Trait '#autoLOC_500105'
[EXC 09:45:11.555] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    GameDatabase.CleanupLoaders () (at <aaf41dd1ee6048d78d73af0eb6ffa814>:0)
    GameDatabase+<CreateDatabase>d__71.MoveNext () (at <aaf41dd1ee6048d78d73af0eb6ffa814>:0)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <2425394cf09642369e2109953e31f62b>:0)

Same issue with CleanupLoaders seemingly locking everything up. I'm not sure how it could even fail, but I'm not a good programmer so I probably read decompiled code wrong. And, like others, removing Surface Lights fixed it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.