KSP 1.12 | The Final Approach

seyMonsters

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Watching you try to fill up those tiny cargo containers when there’s a whopping great 2.5m cylinder with massive capacity right there… You could get so many batteries in that thing.

You’re also sending the data using one of the HG-5 dishes which isn’t set to allow partial (there are four of them!), set them ALL to allow partial and it’ll send that science back.

Lol yes the containers thing is an interesting ‘learning new things’ trust me it gets embarrassing before it gets better! 

I actually think I had changed and re changed that setting, the issue is, and it may be a bug I’m not sure… while you can send normal science through partial so that if your battery dies it waits then sends the rest…. It seems with data from a science lab, it only seems to be able to sent complete or nothing….  No matter what the antenna is set as…. 

Edited by seyMonsters

“Ready to begin the transfer to Minmus.”

”Shall we use the disposable transfer stage on the lander so we can dump it and shed the dead weight and also use the lander once we arrive?”

”Nah, main engine on the CSM and pump the fuel out of the transfer stage as we go.”

:confused:
And then all that faffing about trying to align your plane with a rover on the ground. Your original orbit was fine, bring the apoapsis down and you’d fly right over it in a couple of orbits, easy landing and return within one orbit.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

“Why did the rover fly off in a random direction?” He says, after attaching a wheel that’s clipped into the ground and has suspension for added bounce…

“Why isn’t this rover moving?” He says, with the brakes on and brake force turned up to 200%… (the rover even had brake lights on it!)

“Why no traction?” He says, after turning all the traction control settings up to maximum but leaving the wheel friction settings at their default, low, values… Traction control reduces torque to prevent wheel spin, which with Minmus’ puny gravity and the default slippery wheel settings is almost inevitable; turn the traction control waaay down and bump up the friction settings so you can actually get some grip and go somewhere.

I’ve said this several times  in various places on the forums, and I’ll say it again- change the key binds for wheel controls so they’re different to the attitude controls (WASD) so you can drive a rover and still use the reaction wheels to keep it pointing in the right direction. I use the arrow keys instead and it makes using rovers, and also takeoff/landing in planes with steerable landing gear, a lot easier.

Attach your boosters nearer the top, that way the decoupler force pushes the tops away and they’ll tend to separate more cleanly.

As for Jool- you’ll need more than those puny static solar panels to go out there! Those things will barely be enough at Duna, especially with a power-hungry relay dish as your only antenna.

You completely missed the fact that the node tool’s transfer burn to Jool was 1 1/4 years ahead, so you needed to put your burn 1/4 orbit behind it to go solar prograde when leaving Kerbin right now instead of mostly inwards towards the sun.

Once you reach Jool, capturing is just a matter of getting a Tylo or Laythe intercept and the gravity assist will do the rest. Those inner 3 moons are all on the same plane so once you match that you can fly between them easily for minimal effort. But then again, 4% solar power out there so that probe is a dud- it’ll barely keep up with the power drain of the core itself, never mind sending an experiment back, which won’t happen anyway as the RA-2 doesn’t have the range to call home from Jool. Get some proper solar panels and a better antenna for the next one.

“Simplify, then add lightness” is the phrase you’re looking for.

After spending some time in RSS it keeps surprising me how little delta-V is needed to get around the stock system- barely 900m/s to escape Kerbin, less than 2km/s to get to Jool then a free capture with a gravity assist from Tylo or possibly Laythe; that wouldn’t even get me to the Moon in RSS!

As soon as you moved those RCS thrusters up, I could see explosions in your future. Should’ve decoupled the stage in space, then time warp would have let them move away; though under those circumstances I’d have kept the upper stage and braked aggressively once over the mountains to drop down on the KSC.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.