KSP 1.12 | The Final Approach

seyMonsters

The rover is upside down??? Re. the thrust imbalance, just moving the front engines forwards slightly would have balanced it enough; it’s 4kN total thrust so the lander can’s reaction wheels could balance that out easily. Should have added deployed science instead of an unnecessary ladder and magnetometer too (a ladder, on Minmus!? Sneeze and you’re on the rover’s roof!)

I think the no crew space thing is due to being loaded as a subassembly, you could try merging the craft by going to the load menu then picking “merge” instead of “load”. I think Val and Theooly are glad they didn’t have to ride in that upside down thing though, it was pulling >5g in places which would have been -5g to them.

When driving a rover on Minmus you want:

• Minimal traction control (<0.5) so you can actually get the wheel torque down, otherwise it will stop the wheels from spinning and you’ll never get anywhere;
  • Maximum friction control so the wheels can grip the surface, which also helps keep the traction control at bay;
  • Maximum spring and damper strength so it can absorb the bumps;
  • Front wheel steering only to avoid the risk of turning too fast and rolling;
  • Brake strength much higher at the rear to stop it going head first onto its back if you brake;
  • And have the wheel controls separate to your attitude controls- I set my wheels to work with the arrow keys rather than WASD.

Try sending the station over towards that lander, then EVA the engineer (with some repair kits in their inventory) and fly over to the lander, bring it down beside the rover and fix up that antenna, grab the stray part on the surface and take that back up to orbit on the lander. It’s entirely possible to attach a probe core to a craft via EVA construction, it doesn’t even need to be the right way round as you can still control it from the lander can’s co tool point.

“Clipping the solar panel through the ground broke it, repairing it broke it again, but maybe if I repair it again it will magically not break?”

Just take it off and reattach at a different angle! Also you completely failed to get Theooly to set up those deployed experiments so they’ll be incredibly slow at generating data, except the weather analyser which doesn’t work in vacuum, and you completely missed the deployed antenna part too.

54 minutes ago, seyMonsters said:

FYI once a deploying panel breaks in that way it cannot be ‘moved’ to a new location until it is repaired…. Catch 22 situation…

Use the cheats. Perhaps the indestructible one can help?

A few things about that one-

• Too much fluff, not enough action for a 50 minute video. I don’t think protracted shots of delicately fiddling with nodes to rendezvous or tiptoeing up to a station to dock are particularly interesting, either show it in speedy-uppy mode or cut to the end goal and leave the rest out. That rover bit on Minmus was also largely superfluous, consisting mostly of slithering around on a hill.
  • FRICTION CONTROL: OVERRIDE. If you’re going to try and drive on a low-gravity ice moon, you need all the grip you can get; traction control reduces wheel torque to prevent wheel spin, which you’re getting a lot of due to the low grip, so turn that down/off.
  • Set your wheel controls to arrow keys, not WASD, then you can drive and use attitude controls separately without having to mess around with reaction wheel settings.
  • Right click and drag to rotate a jet packing Kerbal on EVA, they only rotate in the yaw axis otherwise.

I’d also like to see a bit less pottering around in Kerbin’s SOI and a bit more interplanetary action.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.