Jump to content

(W.I.P.) Realism Environmental Overhaul (R.E.O.)


Recommended Posts

Realism Environmental Overhaul

REO is a combination of RVE-64k, RSSVE,  Astroniki's Sunflare for RSS,  Astronomer's Visual Pack (all of which are licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0), a few custom textures and configs all put together into one mod. I'm still working on it and it's still a wip but you all are free to check it out.

 

Dependencies:

KSP Version: 1.8.1.2694

E.V.E. Version: 1.8.0-2

Scatterer Version: 0.610

Scatterer Sunflare Version: 0.055

Links:

Download from Spacedock

 

Download link for astronomer's visual pack

Download link for RSSVE

Download link for RVE-64k

Download link for Astroniki's Sunflare for RSS

 

Computer Requirements/Recommendations:

this mod is designed to be run in DirectX 11, it has only been tested using DirectX 11, pingopete explains how to do this on his RVE64k page.

be prepared for very low frame rates if you don't have a high-quality GPU, this mod is as or more demanding than RVE

I recommend you have 12-16 gigs of ram, but it should operate at 8 gigs

Features:

  • Earth city lights
  • Earth clouds
  • Earth aurorae
  • Earth lightning
  • Venus aurorae
  • Venus clouds
  • Venus lightning
  • Mars aurorae
  • Mars clouds
  • Mars lightning
  • Jupiter lightning
  • Jupiter aurorae
  • Jupiter clouds
  • Jupiter rings
  • Io aurorae
  • High-res Saturn rings
  • Saturn clouds
  • Saturn aurorae
  • Saturn lightning
  • Uranus rings
  • Uranus lightning
  • Uranus aurorae
  • Uranus clouds
  • Neptune rings
  • Neptune aurorae
  • Neptune clouds
  • Neptune lightning
  • Titan clouds
  • Titan lightning
  • Scatterer Atmosphere configs for: Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Titan, Uranus and Neptune
  • Scatterer Ocean configs for: Earth and Titan.

Possible upcoming features:

  • E.V.E. land/terrain config and textures
  • Snow
  • Aurorae Ion trails
  • Better and broader cloud particle effects
  • Geysers
  • Dust particle effects

Known issues:

  • Any issues you have with this mod should be reported to me directly
  • I haven't gotten Earth cloud particles to work (I really have no clue what I'm doing with volumetric layering honestly).
  • This mod is very temperamental, I don't recommend tweaking unless you want a headache and are willing to break it and have to re-download it several times.
  • Organization isn't great, it worked when I started this mod but it's a little weird now.

Images:

these images were taken in the tracking station so they aren't the best quality sadly, they're also shifted to the side a bit because I cropped out the side panel.

Link to images

 

Changelog:

 

June 24th, 2021: First release of Version 0.2 and the 0.2.1 update

June 28th, 2021: Second release of Version 0.2 and the 0.2.1 update, LICENSE.txt had to be changed (look at the replies to this post for more info.

August 20th, 2021: Update to this post, added section on computer requirements and recommendations

Last updated: August 20th, 2021

Edited by KerbinSphere
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm reviewing this for addition to CKAN. I noticed that all of the mods you borrowed from use the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 license, but you used the GPL-3.0 license. According to Creative Commons' lawyers, this is not OK:

https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/licensing-considerations/compatible-licenses

Quote

BY-NC-SA

Version 4.0

Your contributions to adaptations of material under BY-NC-SA 4.0 may only be licensed under:

  • BY-NC-SA 4.0, or a later version of the BY-NC-SA license.
  • Ported versions of the BY-NC-SA license, version 4.0 or later.
  • A license designated as a “BY-NC-SA Compatible License” as defined in BY-NC-SA 4.0.
    Currently, no non-CC licenses have been designated as compatible with BY-NC-SA 4.0. Other licenses may be added to this list at any time according to the established process and criteria. Once a license has been added to this list, it will not be removed.

I think it's because of the "NC" clauses; by using GPL-3.0, you are attempting to grant users the right to use the work in commercial applications (since GPL allows this), which you have not been given the right to do by the upstream creators. This mod should probably use CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 as well.

Edited by HebaruSan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Hi, I'm reviewing this for addition to CKAN. I noticed that all of the mods you borrowed from use the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 license, but you used the GPL-3.0 license. According to Creative Commons' lawyers, this is not OK:

https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/licensing-considerations/compatible-licenses

I think it's because of the "NC" clauses; by using GPL-3.0, you are attempting to grant users the right to use the work in commercial applications (since GPL allows this), which you have not been given the right to do by the upstream creators. This mod should probably use CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 as well.

ok, I'll look at that and change the license accordingly, thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Hi, I'm reviewing this for addition to CKAN. I noticed that all of the mods you borrowed from use the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 license, but you used the GPL-3.0 license. According to Creative Commons' lawyers, this is not OK:

https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/licensing-considerations/compatible-licenses

I think it's because of the "NC" clauses; by using GPL-3.0, you are attempting to grant users the right to use the work in commercial applications (since GPL allows this), which you have not been given the right to do by the upstream creators. This mod should probably use CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 as well.

 

3 minutes ago, KerbinSphere said:

ok, I'll look at that and change the license accordingly, thank you

took a look at this and it says it's one way, the way I interpreted this was that anything with the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 that has been modified can be listed under the GPL-3.0 license but not the other way around, I'm not sure if anything needs to be changed here.

 

  • GPLv3: The GNU General Public License version 3 was declared a “BY-SA–Compatible License” for version 4.0 on 8 October 2015. Note that compatibility with the GPLv3 is one-way only, which means you may license your contributions to adaptations of BY-SA 4.0 materials under GPLv3, but you may not license your contributions to adaptations of GPLv3 projects under BY-SA 4.0. Other special considerations apply. See the full analysis and comparison for more information.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, KerbinSphere said:

took a look at this and it says it's one way, the way I interpreted this was that anything with the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 that has been modified can be listed under the GPL-3.0 license but not the other way around, I'm not sure if anything needs to be changed here.

  • GPLv3: The GNU General Public License version 3 was declared a “BY-SA–Compatible License” for version 4.0 on 8 October 2015. Note that compatibility with the GPLv3 is one-way only, which means you may license your contributions to adaptations of BY-SA 4.0 materials under GPLv3, but you may not license your contributions to adaptations of GPLv3 projects under BY-SA 4.0. Other special considerations apply. See the full analysis and comparison for more information.

Hi, that text is for the CC-BY-SA license, which is not the same as the CC-BY-NC-SA license, so it doesn't apply to this case. Note carefully the presence or absence of "NC", the "non-commercial" clause to which I referred earlier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Hi, that text is for the CC-BY-SA license, which is not the same as the CC-BY-NC-SA license, so it doesn't apply to this case. Note carefully the presence or absence of "NC", the "non-commercial" clause to which I referred earlier.

I see, so would the proper license for that be to license it under CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Yes, as far as I can tell, that is the easiest way.

alright, it's been updated on both the google drive downloads and the spacedock post, it took a while because it's a .zip file and so I had to completely re-upload it but it should have the proper license and everything now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KerbinSphere said:

alright, it's been updated on both the google drive downloads and the spacedock post, it took a while because it's a .zip file and so I had to completely re-upload it but it should have the proper license and everything now

Nice, I took a look and everything seems in order now, so it's been added to CKAN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Do I have to remove RSSVE for this to work, or can I keep RSSVE and have this mod installed without conflicting with RSSVE?

 

if you leave in RSSVE they're will just be 2 layers of clouds in a lot of places, I'd recommend taking it out but it shouldn't cause problems if you leave it in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to be a pain with the licencing stuff again. It does look like you solved the legal issue, but please could you also write the licence(s) used in the OP in accordance with the Add-on posting rules (in particular1.3)?
 

Spoiler

 

As an aside, I'm no legal expert, but I think the greater issue was really with the "SA" part of the licence. More information here if you are curious: https://tldrlegal.com/license/creative-commons-attribution-noncommercial-sharealike-4.0-international-(cc-by-nc-sa-4.0)

Quote

It additionally prevents commercial use and requires any derivates to use the same license.


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Deddly said:

Sorry to be a pain with the licencing stuff again. It does look like you solved the legal issue, but please could you also write the licence(s) used in the OP in accordance with the Add-on posting rules (in particular1.3)?
 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

As an aside, I'm no legal expert, but I think the greater issue was really with the "SA" part of the licence. More information here if you are curious: https://tldrlegal.com/license/creative-commons-attribution-noncommercial-sharealike-4.0-international-(cc-by-nc-sa-4.0)

 

 

 

 

 

Do you mean put in the what licenses the other mods used?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KerbinSphere said:

Do you mean put in the what licenses the other mods used?

Right, so essentially make a list of every mod or asset you are actually distributing in your download, e. g. 

Mod1 by xxx, licence GPL v3

Texture xxx by xxx, licence MIT

Etc. 

Don't forget to include the licence for any of your own work too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2021 at 11:40 PM, Deddly said:

Right, so essentially make a list of every mod or asset you are actually distributing in your download, e. g. 

Mod1 by xxx, licence GPL v3

Texture xxx by xxx, licence MIT

Etc. 

Don't forget to include the licence for any of your own work too. 

ok, that shouldn't be a problem, I will need to upload it to spacedock again so that'll take a while but sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KerbinSphere said:

ok, that shouldn't be a problem, I will need to upload it to spacedock again so that'll take a while but sure

Just to be clear, the list I talk about should also be included in your original post above :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 1:12 AM, Deddly said:

Looks like you're ready for release, then! Well done :)

So I have moved the thread to Add-on Releases. Please let me know if I have misunderstood.

ok, then I think everything is in order now, thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...