(W.I.P.) Realism Environmental Overhaul (R.E.O.)

KerbinSphere

Realism Environmental Overhaul

Version 0.3.2, For KSP 1.10.x - 1.12.x

REO is a combination of RVE-64k, RSSVE,  Astroniki's Sunflare for RSS,  Astronomer's Visual Pack (all of which are licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0), a few custom textures and configs all put together into one mod. I'm still working on it and it's still a wip but you all are free to check it out.

Dependencies:

KSP Version: 1.10.1 - 1.12.x

E.V.E. Version: 1.11.6.1

Scatterer Version: 0.0772

Scatterer Sunflare Version: 0.0772

Real Solar System Version: 18.4.0

Links:

Download from Spacedock

Download link for astronomer's visual pack

Download link for RSSVE

Download link for RVE-64k

Download link for Astroniki's Sunflare for RSS

Computer Requirements/Recommendations:

this mod is designed to be run in DirectX 11, it has only been tested using DirectX 11, to enable:

Spoiler

1: create a shortcut for KSP_x64.exe

2: go to properties for the shortcut and go to the target line and insert -direct-d3d11

it should look like this: "Drive:/Folder/OtherFolder/KSP_ExampleShortcutFolder/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_x64.exe" -force-d3d11

-force-d3d11 has to be outside the quotation marks

I also don't know how to do this on iOS so if anyone would like to tell me how to do that I'll put something here for that as well

be prepared for very low frame rates if you don't have a high-quality GPU, this mod is as or more demanding than RVE

I recommend you have 12-16 gigs of ram, but it should operate at 8 gigs

Features:

• Earth city lights
  • Earth clouds
  • Earth aurorae
  • Earth lightning
  • Earth dust storms
  • Venus aurorae
  • Venus clouds
  • Venus lightning
  • Mars aurorae
  • Mars clouds
  • Mars lightning
  • Mars dust storms
  • Jupiter lightning
  • Jupiter aurorae
  • Jupiter clouds
  • Jupiter rings
  • Io aurorae
  • Io volcanoes
  • Europa geysers
  • High-res Saturn rings
  • Saturn clouds
  • Saturn aurorae
  • Saturn lightning
  • Enceladus Geysers
  • Uranus rings
  • Uranus lightning
  • Uranus aurorae
  • Uranus clouds
  • Neptune rings
  • Neptune aurorae
  • Neptune clouds
  • Neptune lightning
  • Titan clouds
  • Titan lightning
  • Scatterer Atmosphere configs for: Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Titan, Uranus and Neptune
  • Scatterer Ocean configs for: Earth and Titan.

Known issues:

• Any issues you have with this mod should be reported to me directly
  • This mod is very temperamental, I don't recommend tweaking unless you want a headache and are willing to break it and have to re-download it several times.
  • Organization isn't great, it worked when I started this mod but it's a little weird now.
  • Cloud particles (especially in dust storms) can have... strange RGB values, I have no idea what's causing this or how to fix it -found out how to fix this, should be fixed by version 0.3.3
  • On Io, there's an EVE "cloud" layer to replace the lava oceans since they don't render in the tracking station, map view or at high altitudes, this does occasionally cause clipping but there's really no way to avoid this except to extend the PQS range on Io, if you wanna see how that went...
  • Here's the module manager patch that takes out other EVE stuff... if this causes issues for you just delete RealismEnvironmentalOverhaul/EVE/RemoveVisualOverlap.cfg... Anyway, here's the code:   -no longer a feature

these images were taken in the tracking station so they aren't the best quality sadly, they're also shifted to the side a bit because I cropped out the side panel.

Link to images

Changelog:

June 24th, 2021: First release of Version 0.2 and the 0.2.1 update

June 28th, 2021: Second release of Version 0.2 and the 0.2.1 update, LICENSE.txt had to be changed (look at the replies to this post for more info).

August 20th, 2021: Update to this post, added section on computer requirements and recommendations

December 27th, 2021: Update to this post, Release of Version 0.3 and update to 1.10.1

January 1st, 2022: Update to this post, Release of Version 0.3.1 (changes can be found in the changelog or in the changelog file in the mod)

January 3rd, 2022: Update to this post, Release of Version 0.3.2: Better TUFX profiles and profile organization

January 20th, 2022: Update to this post

Last updated: January 20rd, 2022

Edited by KerbinSphere
Post Update

Hi, I'm reviewing this for addition to CKAN. I noticed that all of the mods you borrowed from use the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 license, but you used the GPL-3.0 license. According to Creative Commons' lawyers, this is not OK:

https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/licensing-considerations/compatible-licenses

BY-NC-SA

Version 4.0

Your contributions to adaptations of material under BY-NC-SA 4.0 may only be licensed under:

• BY-NC-SA 4.0, or a later version of the BY-NC-SA license.
  • Ported versions of the BY-NC-SA license, version 4.0 or later.
  • A license designated as a “BY-NC-SA Compatible License” as defined in BY-NC-SA 4.0.
    Currently, no non-CC licenses have been designated as compatible with BY-NC-SA 4.0. Other licenses may be added to this list at any time according to the established process and criteria. Once a license has been added to this list, it will not be removed.

I think it's because of the "NC" clauses; by using GPL-3.0, you are attempting to grant users the right to use the work in commercial applications (since GPL allows this), which you have not been given the right to do by the upstream creators. This mod should probably use CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 as well.

Edited by HebaruSan

10 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Hi, I'm reviewing this for addition to CKAN. I noticed that all of the mods you borrowed from use the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 license, but you used the GPL-3.0 license. According to Creative Commons' lawyers, this is not OK:

https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/licensing-considerations/compatible-licenses

I think it's because of the "NC" clauses; by using GPL-3.0, you are attempting to grant users the right to use the work in commercial applications (since GPL allows this), which you have not been given the right to do by the upstream creators. This mod should probably use CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 as well.

ok, I'll look at that and change the license accordingly, thank you

10 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

3 minutes ago, KerbinSphere said:

ok, I'll look at that and change the license accordingly, thank you

took a look at this and it says it's one way, the way I interpreted this was that anything with the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 that has been modified can be listed under the GPL-3.0 license but not the other way around, I'm not sure if anything needs to be changed here.

• GPLv3: The GNU General Public License version 3 was declared a “BY-SA–Compatible License” for version 4.0 on 8 October 2015. Note that compatibility with the GPLv3 is one-way only, which means you may license your contributions to adaptations of BY-SA 4.0 materials under GPLv3, but you may not license your contributions to adaptations of GPLv3 projects under BY-SA 4.0. Other special considerations apply. See the full analysis and comparison for more information.

9 hours ago, KerbinSphere said:

took a look at this and it says it's one way, the way I interpreted this was that anything with the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 that has been modified can be listed under the GPL-3.0 license but not the other way around, I'm not sure if anything needs to be changed here.

• GPLv3: The GNU General Public License version 3 was declared a “BY-SA–Compatible License” for version 4.0 on 8 October 2015. Note that compatibility with the GPLv3 is one-way only, which means you may license your contributions to adaptations of BY-SA 4.0 materials under GPLv3, but you may not license your contributions to adaptations of GPLv3 projects under BY-SA 4.0. Other special considerations apply. See the full analysis and comparison for more information.

Hi, that text is for the CC-BY-SA license, which is not the same as the CC-BY-NC-SA license, so it doesn't apply to this case. Note carefully the presence or absence of "NC", the "non-commercial" clause to which I referred earlier.

15 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Hi, that text is for the CC-BY-SA license, which is not the same as the CC-BY-NC-SA license, so it doesn't apply to this case. Note carefully the presence or absence of "NC", the "non-commercial" clause to which I referred earlier.

I see, so would the proper license for that be to license it under CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0?

14 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Yes, as far as I can tell, that is the easiest way.

alright, it's been updated on both the google drive downloads and the spacedock post, it took a while because it's a .zip file and so I had to completely re-upload it but it should have the proper license and everything now

4 hours ago, KerbinSphere said:

alright, it's been updated on both the google drive downloads and the spacedock post, it took a while because it's a .zip file and so I had to completely re-upload it but it should have the proper license and everything now

Nice, I took a look and everything seems in order now, so it's been added to CKAN.

1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Do I have to remove RSSVE for this to work, or can I keep RSSVE and have this mod installed without conflicting with RSSVE?

if you leave in RSSVE they're will just be 2 layers of clouds in a lot of places, I'd recommend taking it out but it shouldn't cause problems if you leave it in

Sorry to be a pain with the licencing stuff again. It does look like you solved the legal issue, but please could you also write the licence(s) used in the OP in accordance with the Add-on posting rules (in particular1.3)?

Spoiler

As an aside, I'm no legal expert, but I think the greater issue was really with the "SA" part of the licence. More information here if you are curious: https://tldrlegal.com/license/creative-commons-attribution-noncommercial-sharealike-4.0-international-(cc-by-nc-sa-4.0)

It additionally prevents commercial use and requires any derivates to use the same license.

14 hours ago, Deddly said:

Sorry to be a pain with the licencing stuff again. It does look like you solved the legal issue, but please could you also write the licence(s) used in the OP in accordance with the Add-on posting rules (in particular1.3)?

Reveal hidden contents

As an aside, I'm no legal expert, but I think the greater issue was really with the "SA" part of the licence. More information here if you are curious: https://tldrlegal.com/license/creative-commons-attribution-noncommercial-sharealike-4.0-international-(cc-by-nc-sa-4.0)

Do you mean put in the what licenses the other mods used?

5 hours ago, KerbinSphere said:

Do you mean put in the what licenses the other mods used?

Right, so essentially make a list of every mod or asset you are actually distributing in your download, e. g. 

Mod1 by xxx, licence GPL v3

Texture xxx by xxx, licence MIT

Etc. 

Don't forget to include the licence for any of your own work too. 

On 7/5/2021 at 11:40 PM, Deddly said:

Right, so essentially make a list of every mod or asset you are actually distributing in your download, e. g. 

Mod1 by xxx, licence GPL v3

Texture xxx by xxx, licence MIT

Etc. 

Don't forget to include the licence for any of your own work too. 

ok, that shouldn't be a problem, I will need to upload it to spacedock again so that'll take a while but sure

4 hours ago, KerbinSphere said:

ok, that shouldn't be a problem, I will need to upload it to spacedock again so that'll take a while but sure

Just to be clear, the list I talk about should also be included in your original post above :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.