What are mobile launch pads?

Star-Eagle

I was looking through the 1.12 launch announcement and I noticed the part about mobile launch pads but I haven't seen anything about them before. Could anyone explain to a poor kerb who's been living under a rock what they are?

I missed that one, but now I'm super-curious! If... if they allow launching new craft, and if they can be taken to other bodies and incorporated into bases, I will be a very very very happy kerbal! :D

I was thinking of a mod, if it exists or if my skills were up to making it: Honest Harry's Construction Company, in which you take parts to a location and build your base, then tell the mod to make it a site, optionally with launch facilities. If mobile launch pads are what I hope, then between them and the ground anchors we won't need a mod to do this. But would it work for launching planes... Yes, with a little ingenuity.

Yes, here are the relevant notes in the patch:

Rejoice and explore the Kerbal universe once more… you might even encounter some of the new easter eggs and unlockable launch sites scattered around the solar system. Are you ready?

* Fix Mobile Launch sites where all the legs will now try to extend if one does not find a ground collision.
* Fix Mobile Launch Sites could end up with a null reference for positionMobileLaunchsite.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Also curious what these are. So if they're new... why did they list bugfixes for them in the same release? :blink:  

The launch sites are new, but the 'extra launch pads' mechanism has long been a part of the MH DLC. They just added that functionality to the stock game in 1.12. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 4:04 PM, OrdinaryKerman said:

The launch sites are new, but the 'extra launch pads' mechanism has long been a part of the MH DLC. They just added that functionality to the stock game in 1.12. 

Well in the MH DLC there are only launch sites on Kerbin, but in the patch notes, it specifies that the new launch sites are all over the solar system...?

1 hour ago, he77789 said:

Well in the MH DLC there are only launch sites on Kerbin, but in the patch notes, it specifies that the new launch sites are all over the solar system...?

What I see: https://support.privatedivision.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402747185683--Kerbal-Space-Program-Patch-Notes-1-12

• Fix Mobile Launch sites where all the legs will now try to extend if one does not find a ground collision.
  • Fix Mobile Launch Sites could end up with a null reference for positionMobileLaunchsite.

Also here: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/1.12

Where is this supposed reference specifying that the launch sites are all over the solar system?

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

What I see: https://support.privatedivision.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402747185683--Kerbal-Space-Program-Patch-Notes-1-12

Also here: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/1.12

Where is this supposed reference specifying that the launch sites are all over the solar system?

Rejoice and explore the Kerbal universe once more… you might even encounter some of the new easter eggs and unlockable launch sites scattered around the solar system. Are you ready?

• 1 year later...

I know this is old but it is also unanswered.

Mobile Launchpad appears to be what Squad calls the square pad with a ramp on one side which is used as a launch pad everywhere that isn't KSC.

These are all on Kerbin. Originally it was used for the additional launch sites added by Making History, and later for all the discoverable ones added in v1.12

The "mobile" part of the name simply refers to its cosmetic appearance, it is in fact very stationary and unmovable.

9 hours ago, tg626 said:

I know this is old but it is also unanswered.

Mobile Launchpad appears to be what Squad calls the square pad with a ramp on one side which is used as a launch pad everywhere that isn't KSC.

These are all on Kerbin. Originally it was used for the additional launch sites added by Making History, and later for all the discoverable ones added in v1.12

The "mobile" part of the name simply refers to its cosmetic appearance, it is in fact very stationary and unmovable.

I was about to say exactly that! Also these launch pads are the ones you add in missions (with MH).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.