Show and Tell - New LANTR engine

StarSlay3r

Jun 25 Show And Tell.png

We're still adding engines to our part roster, and here's a peek at one that's still in the early whitebox phase -- we still haven't come up with a Kerbal-fied name for this LOX-Augmented Nuclear Thermal Rocket (or LANTR). Super NERV? SNERV? Suggestions welcome!

A few details for our forum friends: This is a 2.5m part that, like the new NERV, runs on liquid hydrogen fuel. This engine also has a hidden talent: liquid oxygen can be injected into the nozzle to create a high-thrust mode, and its vacuum nozzle can be retracted for use in atmosphere.

Methane and Hydrogen bot independently (and indirectly) confirmed as fuels, and Oxygen used instead of the more generic Oxidizer, unless this is just background lore used for part descriptions and engine design it seems we'll have different base fuel to deal with.

Despite a possible slightly higher starting complexity it could be used as a gradual introduction to having to deal with the different mineable resources and the part and advanced fuel production, it also could allow for slightly OP starting Kerolox engine  balancing them with the fact that, at least in the Kerbolar system, you can only get it from Kerbin.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

That brings the question, can it be operated in atmo without the nozzle extended? Sort of like the XLR129 in BDB.

That's the default, I believe the nozzle extension is for vacuum operation.

14 minutes ago, mattssheep4 said:

So - Flashlight? Light-o-matic? Gotta have some wordplay with Lantern for the Kerb-ified name.

All the best localising that one :) (I guess that's the same whatever the name is)

6 minutes ago, linecrafter said:

Name it Jack the LANTR and have a pumpkin hidden on it somewhere 

I really like that one. Perhaps the backstory is that they were at a Halloween party and took inspiration from an exploding pumpkin?

Call it the Lox-Augmented Nuclear Thermal high Efficiency Reconfigurable Nozzle, or LANTERN for short (the h is silent because I'm too lazy to find a better acronym)

Edited by Shbibe
edit

2 minutes ago, Shbibe said:

Call it the Lox Augmented Nuclear Thermal high Efficiency Reconfigurable NERV, or LANTERN for short (the h is silent because I'm too lazy to find a better acronym)

Lox-Augmented Nuclear Thermal Efficient and Reconfigurable NERV

2 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Lox-Augmented Nuclear Thermal Efficient and Reconfigurable NERV

I replaced the NERV with Nozzle because ending an acronym with an acronym is kinda odd

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.