1.12 Asteroids not showing SOI changes as they pass through Kerbin's?

This is such a fluke of a thing I'm not sure it's the game or simply a setting.

In my 1.11.2 save I have an asteroid harvester on an intercept to meet up with a Class D as it passes through Kerbin's SOI.  In Map or Tracking Station view I can see the path of the astroid, another segment through, Kerbin's SOI about 29 days from now, and then a third segment as it would be after passing through Kerbin's SOI.

In 1.12, that same asteroid ONLY shows its current path.  If I didn't know better, I'd assume the asteroid wouldn't actually cross Kerbin's SOI at all.

Can somebody please check their asteroids in both versions and confirm this sort of thing is going on?

23 minutes ago, LHACK4142 said:

This has been happening to me for as long as I can remember.

Well, it's new to me and I deal with asteroids on a regular basis and have for years.  Generally the game doesn't change behavior like this across patches.  If an object is on a trajectory, it stays on the same trajectory.  So it's a bit odd that this particular asteroid I currently have lined up no longer is showing the SOI change as it passes through Kerbin's SOI.

If this change is now permanent, it completely changes by strategy to take over the solar system. ;)

Edited by pquade

On 6/28/2021 at 6:13 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Put in a save then fast forward; does the asteroid enter Kerbin’s SOI or not? Check your patched conics settings and see if anything is different between 1.11.2 and 1.12?

(after much testing)

Okay, this is definitely a change that has taken place between the way the map works in 1.11.2 and (now) 1.12.1.

When the asteroid does eventually pass through Kerbin's SOI it will eventually show the proper path and my previously saved intersect shows up correctly.  Great for this particular asteroid, but this means right now in 1.12.1 there is no way to plan for an intersect with the astroid until it actually enters Kerbin's SOI.  That means for the most part it will be impossible to actually plan asteroid captures inside of Kerbin's SOI since there will almost certainly never be enough time to get from wherever you've parked your asteroid mine/refine rig to get to the asteroid in the time it will be inside Kerbin's SOI.

This is a significant change from all previous versions of the game which includes asteroids.

Edited by pquade

I am having this same bug!! Been tracking an asteroid on a collision course with Kerbin for about twenty days. Lost the rendezvous here a few days before my burn to intercept it. Hope they will add a fix, so I don't miss my launch window!!

4 hours ago, DiomedesDK said:

I am having this same bug!! Been tracking an asteroid on a collision course with Kerbin for about twenty days. Lost the rendezvous here a few days before my burn to intercept it. Hope they will add a fix, so I don't miss my launch window!!

Please file a report on it.  I have, but because my career save has a lot of mods it only qualifies as a "potential issue" right now.  I'm going to have to make a copy, strip out all the mods, and install the save into a clean game, then resubmit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.